Shellee Coley’s “Bright Idea” Casts Light on New Semester

by Sister Julie Ann on September 1, 2016

In this new semester, Franciscan Sisters spotlight Shellee Coley’s Bright Idea.  Like St.Francis, may you have a most radiant effect on any darkness found in our world. May an extraordinary outpouring of the Holy Spirit be yours this month of September!

Listen to the Song

Spotify link directly to Shellee’s page

Lyrics

About Shellee Coley

Shellee Coley is a Texas-based singer-songwriter with three studio projects under her belt and a fourth on the way. Her songs often bring light to the not-so-celebrated parts of life and walk people through them, into growth and change.

Franciscan Sisters feature ShelleeThere is a clear spiritual undertone to her music that sets a listener up to experience their own faith while listening to her songs.  She says, “I want to write music and create spaces that encourage people to see themselves in my stories and hopefully get to know themselves a little more. Because how can you truly know God, if you don’t even know yourself?”

Shellee makes her living touring and playing venues, churches, house concerts and community event centers. She also teaches workshops on journaling and creativity for women and teenage girls. She has a passion to give people a voice by helping them find their unique creative process within their own personal Spirituality. She founded Circle Sessions in 2014 and teaches both private and group sessions on personal growth and healing through writing and various forms of creative exploration.

Shellee’s Comment on Bright Idea

“I wrote ‘Bright Idea’ when I was feeling extremely frustrated about finances and bills. Early in my marriage, I came home one day to the electricity being shut off because we didn’t have enough to pay for it. I was sitting on the floor of my kitchen looking at the bill with a little light bulb on it and thought “I just need one bright idea to figure out how to pay this bill”. I have no recollection of how we actually paid the bill, but I remember going into my room in the 100 degree Texas summer with no air conditioner and writing this song with in about 15 min (which is rare). It just sort of wrote itself.

Sometimes words come in a song from past experiences, but sometimes they come as gift and lessons that you have yet to learn or will continue to learn. The words that stuck out to me most in this song were “living and loving and growing and knowing I’ll never get it right”. I remember writing those and feeling such relief that I gave myself permission to not have to get it right!

We strive and strive and want all of these perfect things in life, (including our relationship with God), but really in the end, it’s often about the mistakes and inability to be perfect that bring us closer into the presence of God. It’s the little things in between the bright ideas that grow us into who we are longing to be. And somehow that brings me comfort and allows me to bask in the beauty of my humanity and allow the Spirit to bring the bright ideas at just the perfect time when I’m ready.”

To book Shellee for a concert or workshop, contact shelleeinfo@gmail.com. Shellee’s New Album ‘The Knowing’  will be released November 15th.

34 thoughts on “Shellee Coley’s “Bright Idea” Casts Light on New Semester”

1. Sister Theresa says:

Shellee’s comment on her song captures the message that came to me as I listened to it. Sometimes we miss the most graced moments in our life longing for something that isn’t there. In spite of our frustrations and challenges, God’s presence is constant. We can find peace at the end of each day knowing that He can use our sincere efforts to grow in His love and transform them to accomplish His holy will. Thanks to Shellee for expressing it so well!

2. Tonya Harrison says:

Well deserved recognition. ??❤️

3. G.P. says:

One part of this song speaks to me. “I start to sprout a pair of wings.” I think why it’s telling us is that if we start doing good deeds for and to each other that we’ll be more closer to Jesus.

4. J.A. says:

This song kinda inspires me because it lets me know that no idea is dumb and that I can get things off my head to focus and get things right. Now I might have this song stuck in my head! 🙂

5. A.B. says:

Yes, it means no matter what, someones always going to like a Bright Idea at the end of the night. I like the line, “Someday I’ll get it right, be able to sleep at night, living and loving and growing and knowing.” I like this line because I’ll be able to sleep and be a loving and growing, living and knowing person.

6. A.M.O. says:

This song reminds me that no one is perfect and that every one makes mistakes. The line that sticks out to me is, “And someday I’ll get it right,” because it’s saying maybe someday we might be almost perfect.

7. A.Z. says:

This song remind me of a great day. Just a perfect day with no troubles and to have a blessed day. Even if the day isn’t good it was a good day, making the day the way you choose it.

8. M.J. says:

This song to me means that there is a course to follow when you are going for what you like. I need to do that by saying what I like and just to be honest and other stuff. I like the line, “I’d like a light at the end of the tunnel.” It means that through my darkest times there is going to be light.

9. Z.E. says:

To me it seems like she is singing about how she sees her future, like she sees it brighter than today. She is singing about how she wants someone in her life to help her through whatever.

10. N.J. says:

This song is beautiful, soothing, and soft. It is something I’d listen to everyday and hum through out the day or sing to my baby brother.

11. A.A. says:

Ms. Shellee Coley, I like your song because it’s beautiful. It’s very short but with so much meaning. The line that I like is, “I’d like a conscience clear of hurting all the people that I hold so dear to me.” It means like I’m tired of doing bad things and I want to do bigger and better things. It’s a beautiful song Ms. Shellee Coley! <3

12. S.J. says:

I like the sentence, “Every time I start to sprout a pair of angel wings and float into the sky,” because the angels remind me of my brother Gracen who passed away. It also reminds me of Malorie. The song means to me one that reminds me of my loved ones.

13. E.B. says:

I like the line,” You might not get everything right, but you know there’s always going to be a light at the end…” Also, “And a heart so light it carries all the heavy things.” This means to me a heart is happy and good but also can be going through hard times. I love this song by the way.

14. Gabriel says:

God calls all of His disciples to help the poor and those who go throughout life without much. He must nourish our life given by God by helping others in solidarity.

15. S.S. says:

The beat and the lyrics have a very deep connection towards me with the help of the beat it allows me to get into the music and follow/learn the song that has words of God in it.

16. H.H. says:

God is capable of doing all these things that we should be grateful for, and he gives all these things. So, I should build my relationship with Him to thank him for these gifts.

17. V.V. says:

“I’d like a life that lives and a pair of reaching hands that always want to give. I’d like a conscience clear of hurting all the people I hold so dear and someday I’ll get it right”
    This entire phrase touches my heart because I want to live my life for me, but I want to help people and I’d also like to be able to get everything right. But this song tells me many people want this same thing and I can achieve that, but it’s okay if I don’t.

18. L.V. says:

In all those beats and lyrics God is trying to communicate with us. Think about all those messages that could be going on that God is trying to tell you…

19. Alani says:

Music inspires me to be closer to God because lyrics explain my feelings when I am unable to put them to words.

20. Mona says:

“…and a heart so light it carries all the heavy things”

21. J.O. says:

“And someday I’ll get it right/Be able to sleep at night/Living and loving and growing and knowing/I’ll never get it right.” This touched my heart because no matter how perfect your life is, you will always experience a time of failure and disappointment. As long as you live and love, you will be able to work through the problems that come your way.

22. O. says:

We are human so it’s reasonable that we make mistakes and do things wrong, but we should always keep in mind that someday we’ll make things right.

23. A. says:

We all like the unique things that brighten up our days. All of us strive for the things that make us happy.

24. I.G. says:

Oh, I’d like a soul that sings, and a heart so light it carries all the heavy things…

25. M.H. says:

Some day to get it right, because we all make mistakes but one day we will get it right.

26. A.G. says:

I’d like a life that lives!

27. Melissa says:

“And a pair of reaching hands that always wants to give.” I think this is an important phrase because sometimes that is all you need, someone to be there for you and tell you they support you.

28. Jordan says:

It helps me understand that it is human nature to try to find an earthly solution to problems, but God is the best way.

29. Luis says:

As much as someone tries and tries there will always be failure, but the successes come in how you deal with those failures.

30. A.A. says:

Things can get better we just have to continue to follow God and we can better ourselves.

31. Abby says:

The words that are said touches our heart because the words sometimes talk about what we’re going through.

32. P.C. says:

‘I’d like a life that lives’ touched my heart because as a student at my school we are always doing work. We don’t really have much of a life other than our school life. Not a lot of us go out and have fund with other people because on weekends we are always busy. We are living, but we don’t feel alive.

33. D.B. says:

“I’d like a soul that sings” is a phrase message that touches my heart!

34. M.S. says:

“A heart so light it erases all the heavy things!”