Franciscan Sister Honored for Being a Teacher

by Sister Julie Ann on December 5, 2015

Franciscan Sister Jane Kinate was recently honored with a special recognition at an All School Liturgy at Roncalli High School, Manitowoc, WI.  President John Stelzer presented Sister Jane with a Lifetime of Dedication, Stewardship and Service as Educator award. Principal Tim Olsen shares his words here:

Franciscan Sister Jane at Roncalli High School -photo HTR Manitowoc, WIThere are many who can play piano. Few are pianists. There are many who can draw. Few are artists. There are many who are instructors. Far fewer are true teachers. Sister Jane Kinate is a teacher. Her entire life is her lesson. For fifty years, Sister Jane has challenged her students to learn, to grow, to become more than they thought they could be. She is a consummate professional. she spends countless hours in preparation because she see’s herself as a servant to her students. She continues to build upon her already prodigious knowledge because she sees herself as a life long learner. She remains inquisitive and innovative because she believes her students deserve only her best. He expertise in the classroom is the envy of her colleagues. However, to praise her abilities within those four walls is to tell only part of the story.

Sister Jane’s entire life is a walking testament to her commitment to God, our Church and her vocation. She is faith personified. There is no divide between what she does and who she is. Many will speak of teaching as a vocation, but so few have the strength of spirit to so selflessly respond to Christ’s admonition to “leave all you have and follow Me.”

Sister Jane’s life has been a resounding yes, and we are all better for it. Christ was called “rabbi”, teacher. He teaches still through those who have followed him. So we thank and honor Sister Jane, as teacher, colleague, mentor and friend.

Are you called to be a Franciscan Sister and high school teacher? We invite you to contact us here.

13 thoughts on “Franciscan Sister Honored for Being a Teacher”

1. Postulant Mary says:

I am so happy to hear about Sr. Jane’s recognition-she is so deserving!
    Dedication is a measure of love-Sr. Jane’s 50 years in education show clearly her love of knowledge and of learning, but above all it showcases her fidelity to her vocation and her love for her students. I count the years having Sr. Jane as a teacher as one of the greatest blessings of my education. She was the first religious Sister I ever met-and she certainly left an impression. Her dedication was seen not only in her unflagging enthusiasm in the classroom, but also by her involvement outside the classrooms-she could always be seen at the sporting events, plays, dances and the like.
    Seeing this year in and year out left such an impression on me that she is one of my role models as I pursue my own license in education AND my religious vocation. Thank you Sr. Jane for all that you do, but above all, for all that you are!

2. annemarielom says:

I lived with and taught with Sister Jane. I endorse everything that is posted! Sister Jane has a knack for challenging without threatening and I have treasured that quality in her. Congratulations, Sister Jane!

3. It is so neat to read about this tribute to Sister Jane! I have witnessed many times her supportive relationship with her students, creativity, knowledge and joy of teaching! I am excited that she is being celebrated!!!!

4. CONGRATULATIONS, Sr. Jane on your recognition as “a teacher, colleague, mentor & friend.” May the Lord continue to give you the strength to carry on the tradition! God’s graces today & everyday!

5. Kelly Christine says:

Congratulations Sr. Jane! Well deserved award.

6. Sister Carol Seidl says:

Congratulations Sister Jane! You truly are a very dedicated and giving person. We need teachers like you very much today. Thanks for all you have given to others and especially to our Franciscan Community.

7. Sister Marcolette Madden says:

Congratulations, Sister Jane, on being honored as an outstanding educator! It sounds as though you have accomplished what Kahil Gibran asserts is the mark of a real teacher – that you have led your students to “the threshold of their own minds.”

8. Sister Leonette Kochan says:

I have known Sister Jane since we began high school together, our first steps in formation as Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity. A quality that helps to define her as a person is living intensely what she believes and enjoys. (I know first hand that this is true even on the tennis court!) It is inspiring but not surprising that this quality of intensity, in its positive sense, carries over into her teaching and relating with students. It is who she is and is obviously a gift that she genrously translates into service. Congratulations, Sr. Jane, my friend!
    Sister Leonette Kochan

9. Patrick Goad says:

Congratulations Sister Jane! I was on of your freshman students in 1973 Physical Science at Bishop Amat High School. I recall you getting our attention the first day of class by writing your name on the chalk board, backward and forward, simultaneously, with both hands. While I was probably one of you less than stellar students, I will never forget your focus, smile and attitude when trying to get us to understand the subject at hand. Well that and the and the apparent undying allegiance to the Packers. 🙂

10. Sister Helena says:

Congratulations, Sister Jane! It makes me happy to see you honored for your dedication and service which is well deserved. You have always been an inspiration to me and I am proud to call you a friend!

11. Sister Nancy Kinate says:

Yes, Sister Jane, my sister twice in family and community, you are definitely so deserving of this recognition that reflects your wholehearted passion for life, learning and the Lord. I am twice blessed for the gift of a Sister like you who continues to inspire me to “Go forth and teach the good news”.

12. Mary Beke says:

i have known Sister Jane since my freshman year [1972-73] at Bishop Amat High School [CA] where she was a tremendous supporter of the girl’s sports teams. i had always heard wonderful things about her teaching, learned lots from talking with her before school many mornings, but did not get the chance to have her as a teacher until senior year for Physics. She was every bit as good as i had heard and it was a privilege to be one of her students. Congratulations Sister Jane and thank you for all you have done over the years! i have been [and continue to be] so very Blessed to have you as a dear friend of mine.

13. Stephanie Veenendaal says:

Introduction to Physical Science, 1980, Bishop Amat HS, La Puente, CA … best teacher EVER!!!! 🙏🏽💪🏽👍🏽💝🔥