Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity are truly grateful for many blessed memories with the people of Two Rivers over the years. We are experiencing our own waves of nostalgia with the closing of St. Peter the Fisherman Catholic School. We continue our service to families of students who will be attending St. Francis of Assisi School, Manitowoc, WI.
The roots of our Franciscan presence in Two Rivers goes back a long way to our service to St. Luke Parish from 1887-1890. This was the ‘mother parish’ founded in 1851.
Due to extensive growth of St. Luke Parish in the 1950’s, Bishop Bona established Most Holy Redeemer parish on the northwest area of town. 9 Franciscan Sisters greeted 360 students, grades 1-8 in September 1957. Sister Madonna Schmelzie was the founding principal and faculty included Sisters Brigetine, Blanche Marie, Sheila O’Conner, Annella, Henrietta, Ronald, Rosemarie and music specialist, Sister Lorna Zemke. Many more of our Sisters followed sharing their own personal gifts.
Growth in Faith and Changes in Buildings
In 1967 it was financially unfeasible for the parish to respond to the needs of a full-time parochial school for 700 children of school age by 1970. It was replaced with a total religious education center. Father John K. Mueller said: “We are not closing our school; we are opening it to all.” More attention was given not only to religious education for the children, but also for high school and adult religious education. Our Sisters helped begin this new initiative.
The entire Two Rivers Catholic community celebrated the dedication of St. Peter the Fisherman Parish in April of 2005. Since that time our Sisters were involved in various ministries in the parish, including St. Peter the Fisherman School.
Today we promise our prayerful support for families, especially during this Year of the Family as we anticipate the coming of Pope Francis to the United States. We are hopeful for vocations to consecrated life from this faith-filled Lake Michigan fishing city.