20 Something Song: How To Sleep In A Stormy Boat by Amy Speace

by Sister Julie Ann on August 1, 2015

This month’s Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity 20 Something Song is How to Sleep In A Stormy Boat by Amy Speace.  While seasonally weather perfect, it offers comfort in the current of daily life. Look to Jesus as you discern and navigate your future. Be not afraid. (Image: St. Raphael Church, Springfield, OH.)

Saint_Raphael_Catholic_Church_(Springfield,_Ohio)_-_stained_glass,_Jesus_calms_the_storm,_detail“Sally Barris and I got together at her house in Nashville one rainy afternoon a few years back to write a song.  She had the title “How To Sleep In A Stormy Boat” and that was all. But it resonated with me as a kind of title for an instructional manual.

I’d learned to sail when I was young and I loved the idea of not just the sea as a metaphor for a churning internal tangle, but the boat itself, the vessel being the metaphor for the body. How to sleep in your own skin when the world around you feels unsteady.  And for both Sally and me, we know that we can’t learn to do this alone but with the help of some kind of ‘higher power’, some spiritual otherness.  I learned this in my meditation practice. That to connect with something outside of my own ego, to still the mind, is the only way to get successfully through any kind of trouble, which life is just gonna bring no matter how balanced and healthy you are.”

-Amy Speace

Purchase entire record directly from ITunes. Click here.

About Amy Speace

Franciscan Sisters feature Amy SpeaceBaltimore–born singer- songwriter Speace started her creative career out in the theater. She studied classical acting in NYC after graduating with high honors from Amherst College and spent a few years carving out a life spent rushing from lower east side theater rehearsals to film and commercial auditions to many support jobs which ranged from legal secretary to personal assistant for actress/singer Lainie Kazan. After a spectacular breakup with a boy in a rock band, she bought a cheap guitar and started putting her poetry to music and began appearing at local folk clubs like The Sidewalk Cafe, The Bitter End and The Living Room.

She was discovered by Judy Collins in 2005, releasing her debut in 2006 on Collins’ Wildflower Records, “Songs For Bright Street” to rave reviews.  “The Killer In Me” was released in 2009 with NPR comparing her ta young Lucinda Williams.  She moved to Nashville from NYC in 2009, releasing “Land Like A Bird” on Thirty Tigers. Her song “The Weight of theWorld”, which Judy Collins has called “one of the best political folk songs I’ve ever heard” was named as the #4 Folk Song of the Decade by NYC’s premiere AAA radio station WFUV.

In 2013, she received the best reviews of her career with”How To Sleep In A Stormy Boat,” a song cycle inspired by Shakespearean characters, winning 4 stars from Mojo Magazine and a feature on NPR’s “All Things Considered”.   Her songs have been recorded by Judy Collins, Red Molly, Memphis Hall of Fame blues artist Sid Selvidge and others. (Photo credit: Stacie Huckaba, Nashville TN)

Lyrics

Tour dates

• 8/ 5-6 Songwriting/Performing Workshop @ The Crested Butte Center for the Arts, Crested Butte, CO.
  • 8/6 CONCERT @ The Crested Butte Center for the Arts, Crested Butte, CO
  •  8/9 7pm CONCERT Denver, CO – Bauer’s Listening Lounge, 1512 Curtis Street, Denver CO.
  • 8/10-8/15 Lyons, CO. The Rocky Mountain Folks Festival Song School and Festival
  • 9/8 9pm  Nashville, TN. The Bluebird Café
  • 9/10 8pm Austin, TX – Rock Room Concerts
  • 9/11 7pm Dallas, TX – Uncle Calvin’s Coffeehouse
  • 10/29-11/1 Songwriter’s Retreat Workshop in Ashland, City TN.  To sign up: http://www.amyspeace.com/fall-2015-retreat
  • Other dates, click here.

Links

WEBSITE: www.amyspeace.com

SOCIAL MEDIA:

www.facebook.com/amyspeace

www.twitter.com/amyspeace

www.youtube.com/amyspeace

www.instagram.com/amyspeace

STORE

www.amyspeace.com/store

27 thoughts on “20 Something Song: How To Sleep In A Stormy Boat by Amy Speace”

1. annemarielom says:

The title of this piece nudged me to listen. It is a song to which many of us can relate. Based on the Biblical event of “Jesus Calming the Storm” most of us have been in a “stormy boat” under a “starless sky” and have been brought to the point of surrender/trust. I can attest that it is a lifelong process… “to sleep in a stormy boat.”

2. Sister Elena says:

Amy has a hit! The words “sleep in a stormy boat” is the challenge that most of us meet. We need Jesus to help us daily to be stronger in faith, trust and in His LOVE.

3. Sister Carla says:

This song stirs up images of Jesus sleeping in the boat on a stormy night and of beautiful, joy filled people whom I have met. When hearing the stories of these people I found out their lives have been full of stormy seas. But- they have great faith and trust in our loving God in the midst of it all. They didn’t feel sorry for themselves. Instead they reached out to support others. Inspiring!

4. C.M. says:

I think this song speaks to me because it shows that even when we are in a ‘stormy’ boat, we should keep the faith and everything will be okay.

5. Z.R. says:

Listening to this song, I hear the singer asking for help on how to get through struggles in life. This is something we all want.

6. V.S. says:

“Show me how to fly in the starless sky, Help me hold on when there’s no guiding light’ speaks to me because when things get tough, people tend to lose their way. But when you believe and have faith in God, everything and anything is possible.

7. H.L.S. says:

The song teaches you to rely on God to get you through the hard times… that you will survive those times with him.

8. R. says:

It reminds me that even in our darkest moments we are never alone.

9. N. says:

What came to my mind s that God is always there for you. He will teach you, guide you and never leave you in times of troubles.

10. N.V. says:

I thought of how Jesus/God teaches to love and do good. I thought of the words: learn, love, bravery, Red Sea.

11. N.V. says:

This woman has a nice voice. There is hope in this world.

12. I.V. says:

Everyone has asked help. God is the one who can truly help us and guide us.

13. L.P. says:

The ‘stormy boat’ is a metaphor of challenges on obstacles that are hard to get through. Each and everyone of us desires to know how to get through them and we desire for God to teach us and to show us how to do that.

14. E. says:

Music speaks to me of God by either telling me that he’s always by my side or he’ll soon be good to me.

15. A.C. says:

After listening to this song, the thoughts that come to me would be that you are put through different situation in life and are not knowing how to overcome it. You turn to God on how to go about it and overcome it by your faith in God.

16. Gabby says:

As I listened to the song I kept thinking about faith and trust and about how we all struggle with trust in some way, shape or form. However, what matters is that we keep trying to trust and have faith in God, for he always has a plan.

17. M.L. says:

This song makes me think about God as my leader. And how he will always be there when I most need him to guide me. Other music that is related to God helps me get inspired and reflect on how my relationship with God can grow even more.

18. J.D. says:

This song really helps a listener to connect to God and reassure them that God has it all taken care of.

19. A.C. says:

We need to listen to Jesus in order to learn from him, because he is the one that will help us and guide us through the storm when we can’t make it on our own.

20. C.C. says:

Being alone out in the world…teach me how to remain calm and faith in you.

21. A. says:

This song makes me think of the Midwest and country music.

22. A.A. says:

It gives reassurance that God will be with me.

23. S. says:

God teaching, showing me to live my life…

24. ja@fscc-calledtobe.org says:

This song is calming. I enjoyed listening to it. This reminds me of when I was going through tough times and I needed insight through God and he taught me how to sleep in a stormy boat, my life.

25. S.P. says:

It just tells me I need to rely on God more.

26. Sister Theresa says:

There are times in life when we don’t feel the consolation that God is there, but as we look back we can often see that He has been very present, especially in the challenging times. He calls us to do our part but then to put trust our lives in His hands and to sleep in a stormy boat.

27. Sister Caritas Marie says:

With the way the world is today,
    we need reminders to know Jesus will always be in the boat with us! Thank You! Beautiful! Great voice! SCM