Franciscan Sister of Christian Charity Sister Anne Turba, NP, introduced our own Franciscan Community’s Health Day Talk: SALT Such A Little Thing…With BIG Consequences with seriousness and humor. Jesus called us to be ‘the salt of the earth’, not a pillar of salt recounting a well-seasoned Old Testament reference.
Barbara Backus, FNP and Mark Herring, MD continued the presentation that included a pre-test, evidence-based research, questions and post-test. Here’s some facts to remember:
- Your body needs sodium.
- There is a direct relationship between sodium and blood pressure.
- Most of the salt Americans eat does not come from salt added at the table.
- Bread and rolls, cold cuts and cured meats and pizza are the top three sources of sodium in Americans’ diets.
- Some over the counter and prescription medicines contain salt.
- Swelling in legs or abdomen, weight gain and irregular heart beat can be related to high sodium/salt intake.