January Franciscan Music: ‘Do I Dare’ by David Wilcox

by Sister Julie Ann on January 7, 2015

Career, Calling, Vocation. Gifts and talents, desire and destinies. “How many loaves do you have?” Jesus asked in a recent Gospel reading? What are your gifts as a young adult? As a college student? As a Catholic growing in faith? Everyone who seriously reflects on life at some point asks “ Do I dare believe? Do I dare step forward? Why is it so challenging for some to discern a calling in life?”

Franciscan Sisters at SEEK2015

Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity invite you to listen, reflect and act on David Wilcox’s music Do I Dare.

Do I Dare comes from one of David Wilcox’s early albums. ”The Night Watchman”. It’s constructed around one of the most deeply profound and personal questions anyone can ask.

“Do I dare believe and let love lead my life?”
Rather than simply affirming, the singer honestly explores that question, candidly admitting:

“I don’t have all the answers I can’t explain it all I’m not sure where I’m going But I think I hear a call”

About David Wilcox

Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity are featuring Do I Dare by David WilcoxCleveland-born David Wilcox was inspired to play guitar after hearing a fellow college student playing in a stairwell.  His lyrical insight is matched by a smooth baritone voice, virtuosic guitar chops, and creative open tunings, giving him a range and tenderness rare in folk music.  He released an independent album in 1987, was a winner of the prestigious Kerrville Folk Festival New Folk award in 1988.

Now, in a career marked by personal revelation and wildly loyal fans, David continues to find and deliver joy, inspiration, and invention. His latest album ‘blaze’ is a “complex blossom of contradictions that is held together at the center by this blissfully focused state of mind that I first came to know while pedaling across the country. The blossom of this record has petals that go out in different, seemingly contradictory directions.”

Considered a ‘songwriter’s songwriter’, his skills as a performer and storyteller are unmatched.  He holds audiences rapt with nothing more than a single guitar, thoroughly written songs, a fearless ability to mine the depths of human emotions of joy, sorrow and everything in between, and all tempered by a quick and wry wit.

Reflecting on well over 20 years of record-making and touring around the US and world, Wilcox says, “Music still stretches out before me like the head-lights of a car into the night.  It’s way beyond where I am, but it shows where I’m going.  I used to think that my goal was to catch up, but now I’m grateful that the music is always going to be way out in front to inspire me.”

Links

45 thoughts on “January Franciscan Music: ‘Do I Dare’ by David Wilcox”

1. Sister Myra Jean says:

There is revelation that comes from this line, “Could I not believe and leave that love behind,” and it is rooted in free will. Yes, I can choose not to believe, not to respond, not to answer that call. I can also choose to try to leave love behind. But, God won’t stay behind. God won’t leave me alone even in my efforts to ignore him. No, this God of ours is a God of fidelity and perseverance. I am the only who can be unfaithful. I am the only one who can leave love behind. I remember a homily during which the priest said, “The bottom line is that God is a pest.” He won’t leave us alone, he wants us to choose him for he knows what is best. Don’t leave his love behind. Choose it for yourself and then share it with the world

2. L.L.J. says:

This song to me is about a young person who is trying to find out what to do in his life at this time. I think that sometimes we let ourselves and all the drama of our life take the place of God, especially social media.

3. H.R.W. says:

I think this song means that you might not have all the answers but you could follow and let love your way. I like the line, “I’m not sure where I’m going But I think I hear a call.” To me it means you don’t have to know where you are going as long as you are safe and not in danger but willing to take the chance.

4. E.I.C. says:

This song tells me that I should let Love lead my life, that sometimes you don’t know what you are doing but God will lead your way. The line, “Do I dare believe and let love lead my life,” catches my attention because he’s deciding if he shouldn’t believe or should he go towards God. We normally let money lead our life and our attention usually will get stolen away from all the drama in the world. Letting Love lead our lives will change us for the better and help us to see God more clearly. I feel the vocation to go in the right direction which is towards God.

5. J.A.B. says:

It speaks to me….by telling me that Jesus is always there for me and He loves us no matter what. “You ask me if I’m faithful?” Sometimes I don’t tell the real answer and I need to know. I think that awful things lead our lives sometimes. Other people who do bad stuff. I wish everybody loved each other and there was no hatred and we could help the poor not be poor.

6. H.E.J. says:

This song asks what I should do with my life, can I or can I not let God lead my life. Do I go my own way to something different or not? I like the two verses because they are asking me if I should follow. I do think all the negativity in the world and all the people who do not believe in God may steal ours attention.

7. A.M.B says:

This song makes me want to cry. When I want to see my mom and I don’t know if I will see her. The line, “I don’t have all the answers.” speaks to me. I know I don’t have all the answers and I wonder why I am the way I am. My family, they lead me everyday. I hope we will all be together again.

8. A.A.A. says:

I think this song is emotional. I normally let God lead my life.

9. H.H.W. says:

This song speaks to me because it gets me thinking. The first verse caught my attention because I’m asking myself am I faithful? Am I true? It gets me thinking. We normally let sin lead our life. Things in the world steal our attention away from God.

10. I.C.J. says:

The song to means like don’t fall for someone before God in your life. And don’t let that love take over your life, let God. I think that letting love take over is not good because God always comes first in all our lives. We let God lead our life. Love of someone else can steal our attention away from God.

11. E.R.M. says:

It speaks to me like sometimes in life, there are times when you don’t know what is right for you so you don’t know what to do. “I don’t have all the answers,” is the line that catches my attention because in life we never know all the answers.

12. L.S.A. says:

The part where he says I don’t have all the answers is very true. Because nobody is perfect in any way. You just have to believe and trust in God.

13. N.U.M. says:

The song speaks to me because it really makes me thing, “have I been faithful to God?” The second verse really makes me think. I think that technology, friends and other things can take our attention away from God.

14. F.H.J says:

Sometimes I think we say things we didn’t mean to say so it’s like should I go or not? We ask each other and we also ask ourselves. The first question makes me think. Love is peaceful and it’s like do I want to go down that road or leave it? For me, I lead my life and if there is trouble I think to myself, do I let love lead?

15. D.A.P. says:

This song does speak to me because I feel like I’m being called to do very important things in my life and I also want Love to be a part of my life. The first line speaks to me because sometimes I don’t believe in Love but then again Love has helped me with a lot in my life. I do feel like I’m being called to change the world, to achieve my life goals and be who I want to without being afraid.

16. S.A.G. says:

The questions in this song really make you think twice. I like the line, “you ask me if I’m faithful,” because it’s all about being faithful to God.

17. K.K. says:

I like the song.

18. H.W. says:

Do not be afraid.

19. C.A.T. says:

God will tell you what you should do if you are listening.

20. M.D. says:

Inspiring.

21. K.T.M. says:

It’s a beautiful song about finding your calling.

22. M.E.L. says:

Inspiring!

23. T.J.B. says:

Inspiring. You feel it in your heart.

24. B.L.W. says:

I like the accompanying music. I play flute, too. Beautiful concept.

25. D.S.N. says:

Song is welcoming people.

26. M.M.L. says:

It sends an important message.

27. A.B. says:

Good message.

28. B.T. says:

Trust in God, trust in His love for us and our love for Him to lead us in the direction we are called to be in.

29. T.T. says:

Follow your heart and God to your calling!

30. K.J.M. says:

Very inspirational and really makes you think!

31. S.B. says:

He is questioning about his faith, love and if he got a calling from God.

32. R.A.D. says:

Makes one think about where they stand with his/her faith.

33. A.B. says:

Makes me question my devotion. It reminds you how little you know, but that God knows and is always there.

34. M.B. says:

Makes you rethink your current lifestyle.

35. L.J.P. says:

Trust and let love lead. Marvelous things will follow.

36. N.E.A. says:

It was a nice song. It made me think. It was very peaceful.

37. R.S. says:

Everything will be okay. You just have to trust and believe.

38. K.B. says:

Brings so many questions. Like who we are…truly beautiful?

39. M.L.R. says:

Lead me Lord…

40. M.R.M. says:

God’s path might be questionable.

41. L.A.O. says:

This song is kind of inspiring, because he is asking himself what his calling in life is and then finding his calling by listening to God.

42. H.T.K. says:

Married…and keeping God in it.

43. E.S. says:

Beautiful song that made me reflect on my thoughts.

44. P.M.T. says:

The song asks a ?…asking if you’d leave love behind. Love from God: it makes you think about yourself.