Free Advent/Christmas Song: Awake The Voice by Krista Detor

by Sister Julie Ann on December 1, 2014

Looking for a meaningful Advent/Christmas song? Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity offer a free music download of Awake The Voice by Krista Detor. Be inspired.  The true spirit of this season, a vision that moved St. Francis to create the first live Nativity crèche, is captured in this timely tune.

Franciscan Christmas Creche at St. Francis Convent ManitowocInspired by ‘A Christmas Carol’ by 16th century poet, Robert Herrick, ‘Awake the Voice’ is an attempt to reconcile the overwhelming commercialism of Christmas in the U.S.; an attempt to look further, past the plastic snowmen and half-price promises to the initial inspiration: the blinding, beautiful burst of hope, carried in the whispers of angels.

Awake the voice, awake the string, the heart, ear and eye and everything…

– Krista Detor

About Krista Detor

The Boston Herald says, simply, “All songwriters should be this good..”

Detor’s solo albums have reached national and international prominence, including #1 on the Euro-Americana Chart, and placement within the top 10 of the U.S. Folk and Independent Music charts. She has performed with such notable artists as Suzanne Vega, Joan Armatrading, The Neville Brothers, Louden Wainwright, Sam Phillips, and John Gorka, among others. Her choral works have been commissioned by the Ashland Women’s Choir, the Shrewsbury Community Choir, the Cincinnati Women’s Choir, and others.

Her latest album, Flat Earth Diary, was released January, 2014, and has been met with equivalent acclaim: “Magnificent!.. 5 Stars!” – Maverick, Krista Detor featured on Franciscan Sisters Franciscanized World“Almost too beautiful. 4.5 Stars!” – Written in Music, Holland, and “Flat Out Brilliant!” – NewryDemocrat, Ireland – among others. She’ll be touring the album in the U.S., Canada and Northern Europe, for the whole of 2014, as she works on a handful of exciting collaborative projects.

Krista lives in Bloomington, Indiana, with her family, her dogs, cat and 6 chickens, and is a musician, songwriter, performer, and seeker of inspiration wherever and whenever she can find it

Links:

Clock of the World: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzLgf66oOeE

December shows:

12/5 & 12/6/2014 – Bloomington, Indiana – Player’s Pub

12/12 – Covington, KY (Cincinnati area) – The Carnegie Theater

12/13 – Chicago, IL – Folkstage Live at WFMT

12/14 – Indianapolis, IN – Indy Folk Series

Tickets available at kristadetor.com

34 thoughts on “Free Advent/Christmas Song: Awake The Voice by Krista Detor”

1. Sister Elaine says:

Beautiful Advent inspiration! So gentle and thought-provoking as we look to the birth of our Savior. Thank you for sharing your gift of song.

2. Sister Carol Ann says:

Love the song! Love the lyrics!! Love the voice!!!!

3. annemarielom says:

“And the world is better for this…” That repetitive phrase is a wonderful mantra for this Advent season. I will be playing this often during this season of WAITING.
    Krista has captured the “magical” Spirit of Love that fills the air at this time of year.

4. Sr. Carol Seidl says:

Beautiful voice!! Advent is a time of waiting, of preparing for the Birth of the Holiest Child. Awake the Voice helps us all to journey with the Holy Family this Advent!

5. PS says:

She did a GREAT job!!! This song is awesome, I like it!

6. EM says:

My thoughts about this song are, it sends a very good message. That all the craziness of Christmas, it is good for the world because there would be no Christmas if it wasn’t for Jesus being born.

I was able to see all the stuff she describes, the santas, trees, lights, traffic, bells and angels.

7. SG says:

It was a beautiful song <3. My favorite part was they whisper Merry Christmas.

8. IA says:

This song makes me think about what Christmas is going to be like this year and what kind of Christmas joy there is going to be.

The images that came to my mind was Christmas JOY!

9. KD says:

There is a lot of stuff going on during Christmas time and we need to remember about Christ. This song made me imagine all the people buying presents and stuff but forgetting about the reason for Christmas, Jesus.

10. SO says:

This song was great! I like how she sings and what she is thinking that the “world is better for it.”

The images I was thinking was seeing people getting gifts for their families and its all crowded at the store, getting Christmas trees, seeing snowmen out the windows and snow all over the ground and all the noise…but everyone is still happy for this.

11. HW says:

This was a really awesome song. It talks about what really happens during the Christmas holiday.

12. JB says:

My thoughts are that I love Christmas! It’s all about Jesus, family, friends and we celebrate Jesus’ birthday with the people we love! We have fun putting up decorations and taking them down and always remembering the angels are always watching over us no matter what. Jesus loves us!!

The images that came to my mind while listening to this song include, Christmas lights, tress (the smell of them) presents, stockings, family, friends, jingle bells, Santa Claus, Jesus’ Birthday, laughter, love, joy and happiness.

13. SP says:

The 7th verse I liked because the lights on people houses. That is my favorite verse. The image that came to my mind were people rushing, pushing and a lot of loud noise, but the rhythm of the song is soft and calm.

14. fscc says:

Thanks for ‘awakening’ your voices to some very thoughtful comments. Peace and all good to you!

15. KC says:

I think if we didn’t have Jesus none of the things in this song would happen…the Christmas trees, Santa, reindeers and presents. I could see all the cars on the freeway, going toward Walmart and all other stores, getting in line to get presents. There would be pushing, babies crying, yelling, sometimes violence. And we do not want that do we? No. Well, I don’t. But do you know what Krista, there will be that and I will have to deal with it. Not all the time but sometimes. But I love the song! Very Beyond Beautiful!

16. AA says:

Angels fall a distance that is not so far from here. I like this because…I think it means that on Christmas, all our loved ones who have passes are with us that day… I picture my grandma and nephew, my friends and all who have passed away.

17. EC says:

I love the song because it reminds us what Christmas is really bout. I especially like the line, “And the World is better for this,” because this song makes the world better by listening to it.
    The image that came to my head was a woman walking through the town singing and showing what Christmas is really about, while angels are walking on the sidewalks whispering Merry Christmas to every person.

18. LA says:

I like this song. It’s true about the people and the traffic everywhere and the lights in the windows. Everything is true about this song.

19. HW1 says:

I thought about a world without all this, we wouldn’t be giving thanks for Jesus’ suffering on the cross of us. It would be just another day. I imagined a lot of people running around while angels are coming down from heaven above whispering Merry Christmas but everyone is too busy to hear it.

20. LS says:

My thoughts about this song are amazing because the lyrics, “Angels fall a distance that is not far from here” really sounds pretty and it reminds me of my loved ones.

I imagined a beautiful angel like my loved ones who have passed. That is what the song made me imagine.

21. AB says:

My favorite part is when she says, “and the world is better for this,” because it is time for every family to get together! To talk and have fun! I imagine what it would look like in heaven and my great grandma and reuniting.

22. FHJ says:

The song really talked about what does really happen. Plus, that God still loves us and that He sends Angels! This song speaks to me. Beautiful!

I can see everything taking place in the song. It’s like I’m there in the moment.

23. NJM says:

I really like the song. It has a good message. The song reminded me what Christmas is really about. I loved the line where she says, “they are singing Merry Christmas.”

24. DMP says:

This song makes me see how beautiful Christmas really is and it’s not all about presents. It’s also about Jesus. Also, the angels are all saying, “Merry Christmas,” to all of us so we should say it back.

I saw cars in the parking lot of a store and people were running trying to get in and out of there I also saw bright Christmas lights around a lot of Christmas trees and all over the stores.

25. R.T. says:

I picture angels watching over us in the streets, completing the Christmas experience. This song just gets me pretty excited for Christmas.

26. S.T.C. says:

Christmas is coming. I have a good feeling, because Jesus comes to bring joy, peace to the world. It makes me remember any Christmases in my life.

27. Kortney says:

Thoughts of joy come to me when I hear this song because the music is upbeat. Hope also comes to me, because Christmas time seems to bring people together as well as make people think of more than themselves.

28. Kimberly says:

Christmas is such a busy time of the year, but it’s such a wonderful time-everyone comes together. Christmas is much more than the material things. I recently lost a close family friend. He will truly be close this Christmas-looking down on all of us.

29. C.K. says:

This song is very up-lifting, telling the world that the difficult things are making our world a better place. It is beneficial to listen to the song more than once.

30. Noah says:

I think of the true meaning of Christmas. So often we get caught up in the hustle and bustle of gifts, dinners and events that we forget the true meaning of Christmas. We forget that it is Christ’s birthday.

31. C.B. says:

When listening to this song I thought about how Christmas is a time when everyone comes together. I think it is saying that Christmas makes society happy and talk to others they might not to on a regular day.

32. Stephanie says:

I thought about God being the focus of Christmas. We sometimes seem to lose focus during this time of the year.

33. J.M. says:

I think about a busy night in a big town. I picture a city park overlooking the town and people watching. I think about the true importance of Christmas, but also picture family gatherings filled with joy.