Young Woman Knocks on Franciscan Sisters’ Door

by Sister Julie Ann on January 25, 2014

Before Evening Prayer on January 25, 2014, Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity heard a strong knock on the back chapel door. Community Director Sister Natalie Binversie answered the door finding a young woman with a ready smile. The young woman was ushered in and this conversation took place:

Franciscan Sisters Walk with Young WomanSister Natalie: What is it that you ask of God and our Community of Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity?

Young Woman: I wish to enter TAU.

Sister Natalie: TAU is a period of gradual preparation for the Postulancy in our Community of Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity.

TAU is an acronmym that means:

T-mutual testing by you and our Community of the authenticity of a call to be a Franciscan Sister

A-absorbing our particular Franciscan spirit and growing in feeling at home with us

U-gradual growth in understanding what it means to be in formation in our particular religious community i.e. greater self-understanding and knowledge of our Catholic Faith.

Is this what you desire?

Young woman: Yes.

Franciscan Sisters TAU ritual

If you, too, are a young woman desiring to be a Franciscan Sister, we invite you to contact us about questions on my mind or in your heart. We are open to providing more information about TAU, vocation discernment retreats, shadowing a Franciscan Sister, being on the leadership team for Camp Franciscan or visiting with your family or friends.

10 thoughts on “Young Woman Knocks on Franciscan Sisters’ Door”

1. Pat Molitor says:

How different from 1968, when I entered and became a postulant. This seems so much better. I remember well my time with the community and, although I wasn’t meant to be a sister, that year is still precious to me. How long does it take to become a postulant? How long is the novitiate?

2. Deb-Ellen Brown says:

Wow! What a beautiful ritual now. I am overcome with delight in reading this and in spirit standing with this young woman. May this be a most sacred time of mutual discernment!

3. Geralynne Berg says:

My heart has always held a special prayer for life in a community of sisters. I grew up with the Order of the Servants of Mary and learned and worked alongside them while growing up in our parish school. Currently I am an Associate to the School Sisters of St Francis- there are so many wonderful opportunities to serve!! My prayers are constant for those seeking discernment.

4. Sister Kathleen says:

We are surely blest! I am thanking God for His work among us!

5. Sister Carol Ann says:

Blessings on your journey within the Tau program and blessings upon all of us as we learn with you.

6. Sr. Sarah Bertler says:

Kaity, It was a blessing to meet you. Know of my prayerful support for you. Looking forward to a trip to FdL to visit you in your local surroundings.

7. Catherine Gilles says:

Welcome! You’re beginning a wonderful journey. May you be richly blessed as you walk with us. We are keeping you in prayer way out here in warm, sunny Arizona

8. Sara_Suchy says:

Prayers and blessings upon you, Kaity. Stay close to our Eucharistic Lord and be brave.

9. I’ll be praying for you, Kaity.

10. Prayers for all discerning their call.