Franciscan Sisters Welcome 3 Young Women in Pre-Postulancy

by Sister Julie Ann on September 3, 2013

On September 1, 2013, Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity launched a new step in the journey of becoming a Franciscan Sister that allows for gradual preparation for the Postulancy in our Community. Here’s the commentary that Sister Theresa Feldkamp read at the ritual that welcomed 3 young women to take this step with us.

Franciscan-Sisters-Welcome-Young-Woman-in-T.A.U.Tonight we are celebrating a simple ritual to enroll 3 young women in Tau–a period of gradual preparation for the Postulancy in our Community of Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity.

TAU is an acronym that means:

T-mutual testing by young woman and our Community of the authenticity of a call to be a Franciscan Sister

A-absorbing our particular Franciscan spirit and growing in feeling at home with us

U- gradual growth in understanding what it means to be in formation in our particular religious community i.e. greater self-understanding and knowledge of our Catholic Faith.

Franciscan-Sisters-Welcome-Another-Young-Woman-in-T.A.U.Each time we welcome a young woman to enter this program she will knock at our back chapel door. Sister Natalie will invite her to come in and ask her what she asks of God and our Community of Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity. After Sister Natalie reads a small section of our Franciscan Rule, she will invite a response from us…our applause will be our approval. Sister Natalie will then walk with the young woman to the front of chapel during the song. After the reading, Sister Natalie will present a discernment journal to be used during this time of deeper discernment.

Let us stand and turn toward the back of chapel.

Franciscan-Community-welcomes-young-women

Do you have a few questions about T.A.U.? We invite you to contact us or message Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity on FACEBOOK.

10 thoughts on “Franciscan Sisters Welcome 3 Young Women in Pre-Postulancy”

1. Brianna says:

Taking this first step helped me realize the reality that by going through this process, I am wholly giving myself to God. This is significant to me, because now that I am a college graduate, I’ve spent this past year experiencing great anxiety over what direction to take my life. I look to the lives that my friends and other people my age live and subconsciously I was focusing so much on wanting to live their lives that I was cancelling out the life that God wants me to live. Once I realized this, I was able to cancel out all the distractions in my life and focus on God. The more I focus on God, the more I want to give my entire self to Him which causes me to have complete faith in Him. By taking this first step to become a Franciscan Sister, I am not only listening to God, but fully trust Him. I am finally following Him with utmost confidence.

2. It was a joy to be present at this ceremony welcoming three young women into the TAU program. Sister Julie Ann did a wonderful, creative work of putting together a journal where the women can record experiences of prayer, sisters they meet, questions they have, quotes they love and prayers that inspire them.

God is blessing us with young women who are willing to grow spiritually and in many other areas. I am grateful.

3. Sister Mary Ann says:

Thank you for opening yourself to Jesus with us Brianna! I so appreciate your insights and how well you share that this step is helping you to realize the reality of how to wholly give yourself to God! Do count on my prayers and those of all of our Sisters as you journey with us!

4. Sister Mary Ann says:

Although I was not able to be with the three of you with our Sisters at the Motherhouse on Sunday evening, my daily prayers are very much with each of you! It is a gift to have you journey with us as you open yourselves to Jesus’ love for you!

5. Sister Kathleen says:

Thanks for sharing this exciting moment! It sounds like a beautiful ritual to ask blessing on a big step. Symbols speak so loudly in ordinary moments and at big times like this. Blessings on the continued journey!

6. Sister Monica says:

Welcome to our Community! It was nice to read about this special new ritual. I especially like the knocking at the door part. I pray that you feel at home and find your time of discernment to be enriching.

7. Maggie says:

This is such a great opportunity for these young women! God bless you all 🙂

8. Sister Ann Joachim says:

I believe this is an excellent program for many young women who are interested in a religious life. It gives them a chance to get acquainted with our community in a non-threatening manner. May God bless each person who takes advantage of TAU.

9. Jenny says:

I believe that the community’s idea to add a new step in the journey of becoming a Postulant was a very wise idea for a few reasons. First of all, as a member of this new program, I feel that I get a very good sense of what is to hopefully come as I prepare for the Postulancy in the community. Although I am not living with the Sisters at this time, living in the college dorms, I can easily walk to Chiara Convent, Holy Family Convent, or Saint Francis convent for daily mass. Being so close to the three convents makes it easy to keep a good relationship with the sisters and to share meals and stories together. I enjoy having this time to get to meet and learn from many of the Sisters in the community. Although I am looking forward to, and feel ready to start the Postulancy, I can recognize that not every young women who is looking to enter the community will feel this way. We all have different needs and different feelings when it comes to a new journey. Some may feel that the additional time to discern and to prepare is necessary, while others may feel that they could do without it. Regardless of which type you are, I think that ALL young women will benefit from having this additional time to deepen their faith, to grow in spirituality and sense of community, and to listen to God’s voice as he guides us along our journey to Him.

10. Thanks for your insights, Jenny. The journey of faith and into religious life is adventurous and challenging. Know of our prayers and support.