Franciscan Free Download: Sicut Cervus by St. Agnes High School Concert Chorale

by Sister Julie Ann on February 1, 2013

Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity’s song of the Lenten Season is St. Paul, MN St. Agnes High School Concert Chorale’s Sicut Cervus from the cd entitled Porta Coeli. In this Year of Faith until Holy Saturday, we invite you to freely download this sacred hymn.  As you long for God’s presence in your lives, be moved like St. Francis to pray the psalms, a source of peace and consolation, with fervent hearts.

Consider purchasing your own cd. Click here.

About Sicut Cervas (Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina c. 1525-1594)

Like as the hart desireth the water-brooks;

So longeth my soul after thee, O God.

Psalm 42:1

Sicut Cervus is one of the most familiar of Palestrina’s motets.  It is one of our “classic” motets from the Renaissance Era, as it is a model of imitative polyphony.  Every year the students rejoice in singing and hearing the independent lines join forces to create the beautiful harmonies that reflect our longing for God.  The psalm text is taken from the first part of the Tract at the blessing of the font on Holy Saturday.  (You will frequently find artistic representations of deer (hart) drinking from the waters of the baptismal font.)

About St. Agnes High School Choir Chorale

The Concert Chorale is an auditioned mixed choir of high school students. The Chorale rehearses every day throughout the school year and performs three major concerts; A Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols in December, a Sacred Concert during Lent, and a Spring Concert in May. In addition to preparing these three concert events, the chorale leads the student congregation in worship at mass, alternating the weekly liturgy in English and Latin. The Chorale participates every year in the MSHSL local and state competitions, consistently receiving Superior ratings. The Chorale acts as an ambassador for St. Agnes by touring locally, nationally, and abroad. The Chorale traveled to New York City last year to perform Durufle’s “Requiem” at Carnegie Hall. This year the Chorale will end the year with a tour of Chicago, singing at the Church of St. John Cantius in addition to other venues.

Websites

27 thoughts on “Franciscan Free Download: Sicut Cervus by St. Agnes High School Concert Chorale”

1. Sister Mary Ann says:

What a beautiful, mystical selection! Many blessings upon all involved with St. Agnes High School Chorale! Listening to this piece is a wonderful way to pray! Thank you for sharing with us!

2. S. Regina Rose says:

This is simply fantastic! Stirs the soul and lifts the spirit! I can see why they made Carnegie Hall. Great selection!!

3. Sister Caritas Marie says:

The piece was outstanding! Truth, Goodness and Beauty! May our Great Lord Bless them!

4. Sr. Carol Seidl says:

I wish my school choir could hear you. They would be so inspired and it would encourage some more of the boys to join the choir. Outstanding and inspirational! God bless each of you.

5. sister renee mirkes says:

Bravo! You did Palestrina proud. With your music ministry, Catholics, young and old, can bask in the complex beauty of our musical heritage, can lose themselves in the polyphonous lines–each uniquely individual, but all blending into a magnificent synchronous whole–and find God. Thank you.

6. Sister Dorothy says:

Thank you for this beautiful reflection on a Sunday morning!

7. Sister Kathleen says:

I am not qualified to analyze the technical aspects of this performance, but I do know that the deer is not the only one refreshed after listening to this musical gift. You truly have a ministry in sharing your faith with the gift God has given each of you and all of you collectively. Blessings on your service to the Church in bringing beauty to birth!
    Sister Kathleen

8. Sister Carol Ann says:

I read “Sicut cervus” to be described as an “exquisite Renaissance motet”. Listening to your inspiring presentation of one of Palestrina’s great pieces indeed lifts my soul, causes it to long for God. It is God alone who completely satisfies our thirst for love. Thank you for bringing God to my soul through your talent, practice, voice control, and dedication to craft fine religious music. “As the deer longs for flowing waters, so longs my soul for you, O God.”

9. Sister Ann Carla says:

The beauty of your voices lifted my spirits. Such
    angelic tone and harmony. You surely bring one’s heart closer to the Lord. Thank
    you.

10. Sr. Delores says:

Exquisite! Thank you for sharing the heavenly gift of music! I am refreshed in the Lord.

11. Sister Carla says:

What a treat to hear this choir sing God’s praises! Thank you for sharing this piece with all of us.

12. Sister Marlita says:

Beautiful Concert by the St Agnes Concert Chorale. I loved the sweet harmony and the balance of voices… it took my spirit high and refreshed my soul. Keep up the good work.

13. sisterjune says:

The music of the Chorale lifted up my heart and mind to God.

14. Danny Wordekemper says:

Very Good Song!

15. marci says:

it was very good!

16. Sam Ulrich says:

Liked the music and it was very good!!!

17. Madekine Grace Knobbe says:

Wow beautiful! such an inspiration.

18. Nolan says:

It was great!

19. This most majestic and prayerful song was uplifting and soothing. Thank you for this touch of beauty!

20. Matthew Schuetze says:

This was a very nice song and I would recamend it to others my age.

21. smaryfrances says:

I felt like we were being lifted up in prayer. Thank you!

22. S. says:

It’s just beautiful. Music always inspires me, especially spiritual music. Centainly, the fact that this song is sung in Latin adds to the beauty of it and also makes it a bit mysterious. The gift of music is one of the greatest gift.

23. D. says:

The St. Agnes High School Chori Chorale is very blessed with talent. It’s very beautifully sung in Latin.I very much enjoy musci and praise and worship because I can express myself creatively and give thanks to the Lord.

24. T. says:

This song reminds me of beauty of God’s creation, especially in the different harmonies. Music like this is calming and peaceful.

25. M. says:

Music for me is like a prayer. There are different types and can touch people in different ways, at different times. God can sing through all of us if we allow him and listen!

26. Damian Birchem says:

The music was very inspirational.

27. Connor Klitz says: