Arriving for a visit with the Poor Clares of Sauk Rapids, MN (during the second day of their novena for the feast of St. Clare), Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity packed up a few gifts to commemorate the 800th anniversary year of the first feminine follower of St. Francis’ saying ‘yes’ to God, but also to celebrate Mother Mary Matthew’s silver jubilee as a Poor Clare Nun.
Mother Mary Matthew and Sister Barbara, both members of this particular Poor Clare Monastery community, began their own discernment journey to the enclosure after significant years of formation in our Franciscan Community. We cherish these Sisterly relationships.
Sister Anne Turba, Sister Linda Brandes, Sister Elaine Turba and Sister Julie Ann Sheahan, some of the Sisters who shared formation years with Mother Mary Matthew, gathered an abundance of greetings of love and prayers from all of our Sisters, as well as these heart-felt items:
- St. Clare cards, designed by our Communications Department focusing on a special window of St. Clare on the eve of Palm Sunday that is depicted in our own Motherhouse St. Francis Chapel
- Flowers from our own Holy Family Convent gardens: Daylilies-Antique Rose (pink bitone, ruffled edges), Castle Pinckney(pink rose pink with lg. cream green eyezone) , Francis of Assisi (burgundy red to bright wine red /white picotee) and Big Kiss; Yellow Heliopsis and Blue Balloon flower
- fresh produce from our vegetable garden
- 2 loaves of each of these kinds of bread from our home bakery: wheat, oatmeal, rye and white
- Wisconsin cranberry cheese
- Hand-knitted dish cloths
- a copy of Clare of Assisi – The Lady: Early Documents
Not only did we share light-hearted conversation with the entire Poor Clare Community and quality time with Mother Mary Matthew, but we also ever treasure memories of praying with the Sisters in their peaceful, spiritually up-lifting chapel. St. Clare pray for us!