Where Music Lessons Are Part of Franciscan Life

by Sister Julie Ann on February 15, 2012

In the classic Little Flowers of St. Francis, the carefree saint plays a praise concerto to his Almighty All Good God with two sticks. Talk about an imaginative soul. The poor Poverello is also profoundly aware that anything found on his path of life is important for growth and part of his relationship with God.

Today Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity Postulant Regina and Novices Sister Monica, Sister Regina Rose and Sister Leslie are playing piano, and plucking strings on a cello and classical guitar. Hear from the music students themselves what new insights these experiences are orchestrating.  In addition, enjoy ‘harmonious’ images of accomplished and aspiring musicians from photographers Sister Elaine, Sister Natalie and Sister Regina Rose.

Regina says…

The opportunity to take piano lessons with Sister Rose Cecile is truly a God-thing. Learning to read and play piano was never a priority on my to-do list because I simply didn’t have the time or a teacher. Now that God’s given me the teacher and the time, I’ve made learning to play a priority and counted the whole bit among my blessings. I’m happy and thankful for this opportunity to cultivate a new talent; in this way, when God asks for them back, I can say, “here are your talents back, Lord, and let me play for You, The Old Gray Mare“.

Sister Leslie says…

I am not naturally talented when it comes to playing instruments and as a result music lessons are a challenge for me. If I don’t practice, anyone with ears can tell. As a result I’m learning more than music. I’m not just practicing music, I’m practicing self discipline, perserverance, and consistancy. There is room for improvement, but, hey, at least I’m practicing. Like Sr. Rose Cecile says, “Music lessons are like a bank. You can’t get anymore out than you put in.”

Sister Regina Rose says…

Billy Joel once said, “I think music in itself is healing. It’s an explosive expression of humanity. It’s something we are all touched by. No matter what culture we’re from, everyone loves music.”  I have always loved music: new and old, loud and soft, with words and without, playing it, listening to it, and writing it (in a very limited way, of course). Music has always taken on a therapeutic and life-giving quality for me as well. Taking music lessons has been a total blessing and an opportunity I really wouldn’t have had otherwise. I have been loving every minute of it! Aside from getting to learn new instruments (cello and piano), these lessons have also revealed a lot of my own gifts and strengths. They have been challenging sometimes but are teaching me valuable lessons such as patience, diligence, and endurance! Also, I have been so unbelieveably grateful, honored, and amazed at the chance  to work with some of our community’s musical “greats” and that they have taken the time share their talents with us!” Looking down the road, I am always a little excited to be able to say that I took piano lessons from Sr. Rose Cecile and cello lessons from Sr. Marcus. Honored, indeed!  All in all, it has been a truly refreshing and wonderful experience!

Sister Monica says…

Being able to take music lessons is a real blessing in my life. I appreciate it because I know how expensive lessons are, and I feel privileged that our Sisters can teach us.

6 thoughts on “Where Music Lessons Are Part of Franciscan Life”

1. S.Mary Ann says:

It is so good to see and hear each of you enjoying Sister Music! I will always appreciate my guitar lessons from Sister Antonice when I was a postulant

2. Rosangelaweiland says:

How wonderful you can take these music lessons. You are certainly receiving a well- rounded eduacation.  Keep up the good work and God bless your teachers.
    Sister Rosangela

3. Anonymous says:

I enjoyed all the pictures of the musicians and their teachers.
    Music is a way of expressing ourselves and thanks to Sisters Angela, Rose Cecile and Marcus for sharing their talents with our Postulant and Novices.

4. Sister Natalie says:

Music is a universal language.  It is a joyful experience to be in the Novitiate during practice time.  Music is a wonderful gift. Thank you to all who share in promoting its beauty!

5. Sr. Delores says:

Music is wonderful.  I believe it heals the soul and can raise us up.

6. Smaryfrances says:

Thank you for all of your hard work, students and teachers!  Like Sister Mary Ann, I too, am reminded of my guitar lessons with Sisters Antonice and Carol Juckem.  I still enjoy playing when I can.  God bless you on your continued music ministry.