Franciscan Year End Gift: Danny Schmidt’s ‘Make Right the Time’

by Sister Julie Ann on November 1, 2011

In November is the ‘Feast of Christ the King’, the end of the Liturgical year before Advent starts – it’s a meaningful reflection on the passage of time and the importance of living well within the time we have to live. To help seize the moment, Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity invite you to freely download Danny Schmidt’s ‘Make Right the Time’.

As you listen to this  meaningful and relevant song, hear St. Clare words to Blessed Agnes of Praque, “What a great laudable exchange: to leave the things of time for those of eternity, to choose the things of heaven for the goods of earth, to receive the hundred-fold in place of one, and to possess a blessed and eternal life.” (Clare portrait: Stephen B. Whatley)

If you are a young woman feeling at home with Clare’s words to her friend,  we invite you to also consider one of our Franciscan Discernment Retreats during this year that marks the 800th anniversary of this humble lady’s  deliberate decision to follow Jesus and become a feminine follower of St. Francis.

If you feel drawn to listen to more of  Danny Schmidt’s music, click here.

Comment from Danny

There’s a hebrew phrase “Tikun Olam” which means “to repair the world,” which is said to be part of our purpose here on Earth, to try and fix the things that have gotten broken over time. That has always struck me as a succinct and beautiful way of expressing the idea of living with intention and purpose, and in service. And that was, in part, what inspired this song.

About Danny

Named to the Chicago Tribune’s 50 Most Significant Songwriters in the Last 50 Years, Austin, TX-based singer/songwriter Danny Schmidt has been rapidly ascending from underground cult hero to being widely recognized as an artist of generational significance. With lyrical depth drawing comparisons to Leonard Cohen, Townes Van Zandt, and Dave Carter, Danny is considered a preeminent writer, an artist whose earthy poetry manages to somehow conjure magic from the mundane, leading Sing Out Magazine to tag him “Perhaps the best new songwriter we’ve heard in the last 15 years.”

Performing solo almost exclusively, armed with just his voice, his words, and his acoustic guitar, Danny’s an authentic timeless troubadour, one man sharing his truth in the form of songs, unadorned and intimate. The understated effect can be startlingly powerful. As songwriter Jeffrey Foucault put it: “Everything about the man is gentle, except for his capacity for insight, which is crushing.”

Lyrics

Website:

68 thoughts on “Franciscan Year End Gift: Danny Schmidt’s ‘Make Right the Time’”

1. J. says:

Even when you are weak you should pray to God…especially when you are weak, you should pray but at the right time.

2. M. says:

It says that there is a right time for everything, especially with God.

3. R.B. says:

…spend the time you have wisely; use the gifts I have to serve God and others.

4. B.A. says:

To me it's saying to use your time wisely because every moment is precious. To know that you could never get that moment back so cherish it…everything you have.

5. H. says:

As he sings about like the world is on a “string of beads: meaning we comein many and just one prayer on the rosary will get you far in life. Do what's best at the right times. We only have one life to live so make it useful.

6. S. W. says:

Things won't always go right for people and instead of moping around talk to God. You are not the king of the world, you can't live life along, you need  God with you. Praying doesn't take very long and small prayers change me here or there and really makes a difference.

7. B. says:

Just to look to the most important things about life. To not sweat the small things.

8. K.E. says:

God uses music to touch my heart by reaching out to me through the song's powerful words and beat.

9. M. says:

It is saying that I have a purpose in life and He will guide me.

10. L. says:

The song is very peaceful, beautiful and pure. The words speak softly in my soul, leaving me speechless.

11. P.P. says:

It makes you think about what you really have and that everyone is unique.

12. A. says:

I wonder how long it takes for them to decide what song is going to used for the month.

13. P.R. says:

I thought of a little girl who was sick. I thought of God as “the single voice.” I thought of the Brothers and Sisters because they make time for God and make Him their whole lives.

14. S.V. says:

that the feel of grace is always there and God is there in faith

15. As you have guessed we are looking for a particular kind of song–one that leads to wonder, prayer and is helpful to someone discerning a call from God or celebrating the Church's liturgical time.  The process includes contacting artists and familiarizing them with us the Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity. Sometimes artists find us first, offering music that resonates with a Franciscanized World–seeing the good and holy in people and all of creation.

16. A.D. says:

I need to really evaluate where I am and see if it is the time to act or to wait.

17. R.B. says:

to always be strong and never let anyone or anything get you down.

18. E.J. says:

Yes, I should make more time for Jesus.