What Do Vows Mean to a Newly Professed Franciscan Sister

by Sister Pamela Catherine Peasel on June 5, 2011

Franciscan Sister of Christian Charity Sister Pamela Catherine Peasel professed for the first time vows of chastity, poverty and obedience on Ascension Sunday, June 5, 2011. Our Franciscan Community, Bishop Robert Banks, Diocese of Green Bay, her parents Sharon and Richard Peasel, sister, Diane, brother, Tim, and Godmother, Linda,  witnessed Sister’s profession here at our Motherhouse in Manitowoc, WI. Read what the vows mean to Sister Pamela Catherine on this truly ‘uplifting’ day.

The vow of chastity conserves a love solely devoted to God and through this stems a love that reaches out to others.  God becomes one’s sole focus, a spousal love in which He gives His all to His beloved who in return gives his/her all unto Him.  Every action and every word should hold its aim in pleasing the Father, offering Him all glory and honor

The vow of poverty is two-fold.  There is the material level in which a detachment from goods must occur.  There is also the spiritual level, in which a growing dependency on the Lord must occur, recognizing that all is gift and must be returned to the Father.  In further reflection, God humbled Himself in the person of Christ who in turn emptied Himself out of love for us.  In view of the vow of poverty, a daily emptying of oneself must occur, making room for God and allowing His love to continually spill over in the lives of others.  As I decrease, it is the Lord, within and without, who must increase.

The vow of obedience is the giving up of my will, what I want and desire, for the will of the Father, what He desires of me.  I do not do this begrudgingly or sorrowfully, but joyfully, out of love and trust.  Through this loving act of obedience, an inner freedom takes root, allowing one to grow into one’s truest self.  My desire is, as was of Saint Francis, to be God’s instrument, to bring glory to His name, continuously seeking His will, spreading His goodness to others, no matter what the costs.

Click here to read Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity Community Director, Sister Louise Hembrecht’s comments on Sister Pamela Catherine’s First Profession.

16 thoughts on “What Do Vows Mean to a Newly Professed Franciscan Sister”

1. Meghan says:

Heartfelt congratulations, Sr. Pamela Catherine!

2. LJK says:

Congratulations and thanks for sharing what the vows mean.  It is quite wonderful and awe-inspiring.

3. Kelly Christine says:

Congratulations Sr Pamela Catherine. What a joyous day for you and the community. You are in my prayers. Kelly Christine (former Sister Kelly Christine.)

4. It is a joy to share our Franciscan life with you Sister Pamela Catherine!!!! I am so happy to be with you on the journey!

5. It is a joy to share our Franciscan life with you Sister Pamela Catherine!!!! I am so happy to be with you on the journey!

6. Sister Kay says:

Congratulations, Sister Pamela Catherine!  You are on a journey of unbelievable love!

7. Sister Anne Marie Lom says:

This slide show was a joy to watch… next best thing to being there. My sincere congratulations and promise of continued prayerful support.

8. Ssharon says:

CONGRATULATIONS to you, Sr. Pamela Catherine on this most memorable day of your Profession.  Enjoyed the pictures and we remembered you on your day–from afar.  The Lord continue to bless you in your journey!  We'll see you on the next Community Jubilee Celebration.  Three of us from West Point, NE just returned from a “heavenly retreat” at the Benedictine Center in Schuyler, NE.  There wer 23 Sisters from 4 States and eleven different Communities. Have a grace-filled week!

9. Smkolbe says:

Congratulations, Sr. Pamela Catherine! On this feast of Pentecost, I thank the Lord for the gift of your life and your vocation!  See you soon – smkz

10. Sr. Carol Seidl says:

Beautiful! Brings back many memories of when myself and the other Echoes of Unity took first vows. It was a proud day for my parents and a joyous one for me. It was on to finishing college and then teaching with many experiences and then the joy of Final Profession.

11. sisterjune says:

Congratulations Sister Pamela Catherine,
    You try to be an example of Divine Joy in all that you do and say.
    God bless you as you continue to live as a Franciscan Sister of Christian Charity.
    Sister June

12. Susan Martin says:

Sister Pamela Catherine, I have been so excited for you!  Congratulations on your First Profession!

13. Kayln Van Roy says:

Congratulations Sister Pamela Catherine!!! I'm so happy for you during this exciting time in your life!

14. Sandy Hammond Gonia says:

Congratulations Sr. Pamela Catherine. What a excellent profession to your vows. Your explanation of the vows of chastity, poverty and obedience should be archived forever on the annals of the FSCC. What you wrote so eloquently helps me understand what its all about. And I truly want to have an understanding since Sr. Leslie is my daughter.
    I would like you and your sisters to consider a title of Sr. Pamela Catherine's writing – something like …
    “The Wow Vows”
    Beautiful.
    Sandy Hammond Gonia

15. Mom (Sharon Peasel) says:

Congratulations Sister Pamela Catherine  from your Dad and I on your next step in your journey.  I was so moved at the blessing of your habit on the eve of your Profession, then on the day of your Profession, seeing you walk down the isle with the most beautiful  smile, I knew you are where you are meant to be.  Looking at you I can see joy and happiness radiate from you and there is a special feeling in my heart.  God has chosen a very special young woman to do his work and how honored I am that He chose you.
    Love and blessings