How Archival Images of Franciscan Sisters’ Motherhouse Encourage Conversation

by Sister Julie Ann on March 12, 2011

A newly arranged pictorial display on the second floor of the Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity Motherhouse is encouraging a lot of conversation.

St. Tom’s (our Sisters have a history of calling places saint names), originally named St. Thomas Classroom, is a recreation hang out for our professed Sisters. It is here that a collection of specially selected photos were framed and added to one of the walls of the room.

We invite you to view a gallery of these historical images. What comes to your mind as you look at the images?

11 thoughts on “How Archival Images of Franciscan Sisters’ Motherhouse Encourage Conversation”

1. Anne Marie Lom says:

Thank you for this beautiful journey of memories and times before I was even born. Our Motherhouse holds many memories and this helps to keep them alive!

2. Ssharon says:

What valuable treasures of the Franciscan Srs. of Christian Charity. Thank you for sharing these. Sr. Donna Marie, am looking forward to receiving your book on the continued history of our Community. How is it going?

3. Christine Delaplace says:

A 'sepia toned' silent testimony; a breathtakingly beautiful window into the past, a poetic pictorial sketch of earlier by gone days, more simplistic days, the photographs speak volumes. One can smell the wax and feel the sun and see the missing components…but, they are not missing …having only…passed this way.
    My favorite row one number four. God Bless You all.

4. Sannmary says:

Loved seeing these pictures, many of them I have not seen before. What a beautiful pictoral history of earlier days. Thanks.

5. Denise513 says:

What beautiful images of days gone by! I visited in 1999, for my uncle's funeral ( Fr. Louis Fronczek, OFM ) and the community and grounds were just as lovely now, as then. I enjoy your website very much and thank you for your service and sacrifice. Bless You ! Denise Fronczek

6. We continue to have very vivid memories of Fr. Louie. May he continue to intercede for all of us. Thanks for your family's spirit of service!

7. Beautiful. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. Peace and all good.

8. Smaryfrances says:

The conversation around the Motherhouse is that we should write down what rooms were used for and to remember their history. I think we have more than begun with these beautiful memories.

9. Sr. Carol Seidl says:

It is great to see pictures of our heritage. Most I have never seen before. We have a long, rich history-many rooms have been transformed into something else. Love the Postulant desks.

10. Srkathleenosf says:

These are great pictures! I'm so glad that all that fancy work wasn't a requirement when we were novices and postulants. I would have had some major problems. I also love the shot of the globe suspended in the center of the ceiling. We already aspired to a global vision! Thanks for sharing the bit of history!
    Sister Kathleen

11. Srosangela says:

A few of these pictures evoke memories, others do not. It was interesting to see all of them and picture in my mind days gone by. It's good to be reminded of our rich heritage and our humble beginnings.