How Catholic Youth Become Aware of the Sick and Suffering

by Sr. Delores Wisnicky on February 11, 2011

On this World Day of Prayer for the Sick, Franciscan Sister Delores Wisnicky shares a recent experience of St. Mary/St. Michael Parish Catholic School (Clarks Mills, WI) youth visiting area elderly and homebound.

Catholic Youth visit elderly

Franciscan Sister of Christian Charity Sister Delores Wisnicky and young people from St. Mary/St. Michael Catholic School, Clarks Mills, WI, are aware of the sick and suffering in their midst.

Recently, Grades 5-8 went to homes of our homebound and elderly. We visited 10 places. All were gracious to receive us. Each group of 4 students plus an adult or two had two stops to make. We left at 9:30a.m. and returned by noon. We visited and played 3-13 with the people. I was with a group as well. In our group we also prayed with them and gave them Holy Communion. They love to receive Jesus.

The students were so good with the people. I loved watching the acceptance and great care they showed. The people were precious. Some had candy for us, some cookies or cake, one crocheted hangers for the kids, one gave them a candle to take with them. The elderly are such a great gift to us. Their wisdom and faith touches our lives and we are never the same. Many students said, they would like to go again. They reached out and God has blessed us all.

He [Jesus] exhorts us to bend down before the wounds of the boy and the spirit of so many of our brothers and sisters that we encounter on the roads of the world; he helps us to understand that with the grace of God received and lived in daily life, the experience of illness and suffering can become a school of hope. -Pope Benedict XVI on 18th World Day of Sick

Our Lady of Lourdes, pray for us. Our Lady of Good Help, pray for us.

24 thoughts on “How Catholic Youth Become Aware of the Sick and Suffering”

1. What a wonderful outreach for the students and the adults! Thanks so much for inspiring your students Sister Delores and for bring Jesus' healing touch to those in need!

2. Sr.Carol Seidl says:

Thanks for taking the time to take the girls to pray with the elderly. Both the girls and the elderly will not forget this day. A great way to teach prayer to our young ones. Keep on doing the great work you are doing! You are a blessing!

3. Sr. Delores says:

Thank you, Sr. Carol and Sr. Mary Ann. We took all our students in Grades 5-8. I had help with parents, teachers and Mr. Nesper, our principal. We went to ten homes. Each group saw two people that day. The Lord was very present…

4. sa says:

Wednesday was like visiting God. We helped one family fix a radio. We got cookies! I had fun playing cards. It was an interesting day. The families we visited were nice.

5. C. says:

I think that we should visit every week at least once, because I think they were happy of me and the class coming. My Grandpa, might be very happy and grateful, because he usually does not get many visitors. He won a couple of games and he didn't play cards in a long time.

6. R. says:

On Wednesday I enjoyed visiting the homebound.It was interesting for me that I found out my Mom was related to Marge. It was fun to play cards with them because we taught them a new card game. And the homebound caught on fast. I liked the treats that they gave us too. And they were really nice to us.

7. J. says:

It was a great experience for me. It was fun too! We played cards with Mr. Zipperer and Mrs. Zipperer helped him hold the cards. Mrs. Zipperer offered us chocolate chip cookies. They were yummy. When we went to Mr. and Mrs. Schiesel we talked about Peggy their daughter and the deer horns on the wall and ice fishing. And we even tried to help them fix their scanner but it didn't fix.

8. C. says:

It was fun at both Zipperers and Schiesels.

9. C. says:

I felt it was a great experience because it's kind of like in nursing homes how sometimes people don't get many visitors and it gets lonely. And we changed that and visited tehm and it was fun too.

10. B.E. says:

It was so awesome and fun. The elderly were so kind and generous to all of us. They were cute. I loved it when they knocked on the table and smiled in pride and joy. Even when I lost it gave me joy that they were having fun!

11. c. says:

I thought it was nice to go and visit people, because I loved seeing the smiles on their faces and meeting them. They were both very nice. I loved Lester's little dog too. They enjoyed playing cards and so did I!

12. H. says:

I enjoyed finding out about their lives. Hardships they passed through. They also gave us things which I believed was too nice of them. They took our gifts graciously and vice versa. I hope to do that again some time soon.

13. T. says:

I loved the trip we took to go visit the homebound. It was a really good experience because we got to talk and play cards with Mr. Wanigo and my Grandma. I could tell they both loved and enjoyed us visiting them, because their faces lit up right when we saw them and they were so happy.

14. A. says:

It was nice to visit with them and to know they are o.k. They acted like grandparents to me!

15. J. says:

I feel as if we did something good for the people that we visited.

16. D. says:

When I went to the homebound I could tell that they were happy to see us especially T.'s grandmother. When she saw us come into the house she was so happy it was a sight to see. Thanks, Sister, for letting us do this and I hope we can do it again.

17. H. says:

Our first visit took my group to a woman's house in Clarks Mills. She talked much about her grandchildren (and great grand children!) She even showed us pictures and they were so cute! Then she brought out her quilts, wall hanging and tote bags were amazing.

18. P. says:

It was good when they talked about their lives. Some parts were good and some parts were bad. They gave us some stuff. It came from their hearts. It makes one think about how you will be when you are older. I hope we can go back and see them again. It makes them and you happy.

19. It was delightful to read all these comments. It made me smile. This was truly an experience of Gospel good news. How wonderful to hear about the depth of your conversations. When others share wisdom gained from their lives, it is a treasure.

20. Srosangela says:

This is a great experience for all the children and the elderly. It brings back memories of taking my classes to nursing homes to sing for the people. This is even better because it is more personal. Keep up the good work Sister Delores. You are a light in the darkness.

21. Sister Anne Marie Lom says:

What a great outreach! I see, Sr. Delores, you are sharing the love of the elderly with your students. The pictures are so vivid and draw me right into the experience. Thank you for sharing the ministry to the elderly with all of us.

22. Sr. Delores says:

Thank you, Sr. Anne Marie and Sr. Rosangela… It is good to witness what happens when young and old have time together. I am happy to be a part of it all. It is evident, we need each other in bringing about the kingdom.

23. sisterjune says:

Visiting the sick is a wonderful opportunity for the children to show that they care and respect the elderly. It also gives hope to those who are being visited and shows that someone cares.

24. Pingback: REVIEW IT BEFORE YOU BUY IT!!!