5 young women, ages 18-22, from AZ, MI and WI arrived in Manitowoc, WI, for a Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity Discernment Retreat hoping to discover more clearly their life’s vocation. Saint Clare, who wanted “only Jesus Christ, and to live by the gospel”, was an important focus for the February 25-27, 2011 weekend of reflection.
Here’s what our guests had to say about the discernment retreat:
How did this retreat touch your life?
- gave me an atmosphere where I could actually concentrate on discerning the path God wants me on. Also gave me a chance to listen to stories and talk with women who have been on a similar journey or who are currently on one. I realized the need to look introspectively in everything I do or will do.
- really made me sit down and try to figure out how God was working in my life and how He will be a part of the future. And especially just being open to new ideas.
- was a beautiful experience and I was able to learn about the Sisters and see how their lives are different from others.
- really made me want to enter religious life even more.
- strengthened my relationship with God and to be more like Jesus.
Was there any part of the retreat you especially appreciated?
- really like just spending time with some of the Sisters and eating together and playing music/singing together.
- being able to know yourself and being able to share this knowledge with God and talking to Him.
- being with the Sisters and being with the younger postulants because you could relate to most of their feelings and get their views of this type of lifestyle.
- especially appreciated the prayer and reflections on Scripture and with St. Clare.
- quiet time or time to reflect and contemplate and pray individually; also liked music ministry.