Benefits of Catholic Women Religious Shadowing

by Sister Julie Ann on January 3, 2011

Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity Novices and Postulants are shadowing experienced Catholic women religious in smaller community settings away from the Motherhouse in Wisconsin, Michigan and Mississippi convent locations January 1-8, 2011.

Novice Sister Pamela Catherine

Franciscan Novice, Sister Pamela Catherine goes by car to the Milwaukee Amtrak Station with final destination St. Francis of Assisi Convent, Greenwood, MS.

‘Franciscan Sisters shadowing’ is different than job shadowing. Involving the whole of life, new members will receive first-hand information about the personal skills needed to live in close Sisterly community and the blessings found in serving in a  multitude of  ministries among various people. Often, new friendships are developed based on quality time spent together.

These formative activity periods help her to experience the spirit and life of the Congregation, progressively to prepare and devote herself to its apostolic works, and to integrate her life of contemplation and action (FSCC Constitutions, VI, Norm 49b)

Just where are the Novices and Postulants being sent? Here’s a listing of this year’s week long mission assignments:

• Sister Pamela Catherine, St. Francis of Assisi Convent, Greenwood, MS
  • Sister Monica, St. Christopher Convent, Marquette, MI
  • Rose, St. Peter the Fisherman Convent, Two Rivers, WI
  • Leslie, St. Agnes Convent, Green Bay, WI
  • Holly, St. Paul Convent, Kaukauna, WI
  • Lindsey, Roncalli Convent, Manitowoc, WI

Any comment? Watch for more photos and reflections from Novices, Postulants and Sisters. Find Sister Pamela Catherine, Sister Monica, Leslie and Holly on the slideshow. Click slideshow for larger images.

21 thoughts on “Benefits of Catholic Women Religious Shadowing”

1. Cheri Meade says:

I pray that all will have safe travels and enriching experiences as they shadow the Franciscan Sisters. We will miss having the Novices and Postulants visit the Immaculate Conception Convent in Yuma, Arizona this year.

2. Sister Chiara says:

I hope you all had safe travels and have a wonderful week. God bless you!

3. Anne Marie Lom says:

I remember those formative experiences being very important to me as I grew in religious life and in my understanding of ministry. I pray that the formation women will be eager learners and the sisters in the communities where they are living will be eager mentors. I look forward to more photos and reflections.

4. If you'd like to know more about St. Francis of Assisi School, Greenwood, MS, you'll enjoy watching 'live' their 2010 Christmas Program on this link…

5. srsharon says:

Sr. Pamela Catherine, Sr. Monica, Rose, Leslie, Holly and Lindsey, God speed and blessings as you travel and experience your mission and apostolate experiences. You will have much to share on your return with each other. I will be interested in reading your comments & reflections. It brings back many wonderful memories. I went to Whitelaw, WI and Sr. Thea was the Principal and Sr. Mary Constance (Diane Wimmer) was the teacher mentor. How blessed I was to have such dedicated women to shadow. ENJOY with eyes “wide open!”

6. Spamelacatherine - Novice says:

Thank you all for your prayers as each of us live out the experience of mission life throughout this week! It is equally wonderful you can follow along and see what we are doing. Greenwood, MS has been absolutely wonderful thus far! I am throughly enjoying my time here, meeting and interacting with students and staff, shadowing the Sisters and their various ministries! It is wonderful JOY!!

7. Thanks for all your prayers everyone! I am really enjoying my time in Marquette, getting to know the sisters and the parish community up here. Everyone is so welcoming, and I wish I could stay longer!

8. Sister Chiara says:

I am glad to hear you are enjoying your mission experiences! I will keep you all in my prayers. Please say “Hello” to the Sisters for me!

9. Kurey_1 says:

Just want to say that we are really enjoying having Sister Pamela Catherine here with us. She has been a great sport while our furnace has not been working! She has attended a homeless shelter meeting, seen where Share Croppers lived, helped in the Parish office, attended an Advisory Board meeting, among other things.
    The children are anxious for her to spend time with them, as she is anxious to do the same. tomorrow should bring this about. We hope all of the Postulants and Sister Monica are having enjoyable days also. Blessings to all.

10. Leslie (postulant) says:

I am having a wonderful time at St. Agnes. The parish has many wonderful loving people and it is so wonderful to be back in a school. Holy Family School has a wonderful atmosphere. Everyone is welcoming and the teachers express deep caring for their students. The sisters and I are having a wonderful time playing games together. I broke Sr. Ann Carla's winning streak tonight. There is a new Fill or Bust Champion around here. 🙂

11. Don't miss out on the photos that capture the spirit of this 'shadowing' experiences. I especially like the 3 year old photos. Yes, they have great hand and eye coordination! And you can't miss the southern MS hospitality.

12. Sister Kay says:

I'm so happy that you are enjoying Holy Family School and St. Agnes Parish. I have lots of wonderful memories from my years as teacher and principal there. You are right about the wonderful people! Greet the Sisters, faculty and staff for me, ok? You might find a few of my footsteps there…certainly a piece of my heart!

13. Sister Kay says:

Loved the picture of your time in Mississippi! It's a great way to share our mission and ministry there for those of us who have not had the opportunity to be there. Enjoy every minute.

14. Anne Marie Lom says:

What delightful pictures. Leslie, Sister Monica and Sister Pamela Catherine, you look like you “belong” right there with those children and others. What rich experiences you bring and you will bring home.

15. You won't want to miss the last of the current photos on the slideshow. Holly and the Sisters at St. Paul Elder Services showcase their lives.

16. Spamelacatherine - Novice says:

Today is the last day in Greenwood, MS. I leave to catch the train about 4 hours from now. It has been a wonderful week! Yesterday and today I was in the classrooms aiding the students with their assignments. Today I met the Pre-K students. After their nap we had a snack with juice and then it was story time! They were very good listeners! The students at St. Francis of Assisi School are so respectful, it is quite impressive. They certainly have lots of questions about the Sister with the white veil! 🙂 Overall this has a been a very good experience. The week has gone by much too fast! The Sisters here have been very hospitable making this feel very much like home (even without a furnance)! 🙂

17. Sr. Elaine says:

It will be great to have the Postulants back at the Motherhouse. I am looking forward to hearing all their stories about life on various missions this past week. You, as well as the Novices, have been missed around here. Blessings upon your last night wherever you are. Safe travel back.

18. Srosangela says:

It looks and sounds like everyone, Postulants and Novices, had a wonderful mission experience. It's great that you had this opportunity. I think our Sisters enjoyed it as much as you did. Blessings on all of you as you return to your classes or work here at home.

19. Sisterannjoachim says:

What a wonderful experience to see mission life as it actually is! All the training and your devotion to God and His people pays off in knowing that you too will be there giving of yourself to help others.