What was Helpful About ‘A Spiral of Love’ Franciscan Discernment Retreat

by Sister Julie Ann on November 14, 2010

Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity welcomed 7 young women, ages 18-25, for ‘ A Spiral of Love’  Franciscan Discernment Retreat on November 12-14, 2010.

A Spiral of God's Love Franciscan Discernment Retreat

Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity Vocation Team guided 7 young women ages 18-25 on 'A Spiral of Love' Discernment Retreat November 12-14, 2010.

Weekend guests left their professional and academic lives on hold to board planes and drive miles to contemplate their deepest desires with us. In essence Scripture and saintly models of virtue were suggested for possible spiritual reflection as a means of discovering the mystery of God.

Here’s some feedback from the retreatants.

How did this retreat touch your life?

• I realized how amazing and full of the grace of God this life is.
  • It gave me the opportunity to refocus my discernment and to meet other women that are discerning too.
  • I really enjoyed how we were part of the Motherhouse and see how they live. Having that experience is wonderful.
  • I really liked the reflection/prayer time that we had because it gave me time to think things through and let them sink in.
  • I enjoyed the movie since my saint was St. Clare.
  • It really helped me slow down and know that God’s plan will work out and that if you listen God will speak in some of the strongest ways.
  • I feel like I came in being really confused, but this weekend helped.
  • It really helped me open my heart and mind to our God’s will. I go with confidence in Him.

Was there any part of the retreat you especially appreciated?

• The time of prayer in silence with God was just amazing!
  • I loved getting to know the Novices and Postulants. Hearing their stories was great!
  • Getting to know the Sisters was a great experience.
  • Learning about St. Elizabeth of Hungary; learning about the different saints on Friday night.
  • Mass and silent and community prayer

Happily the young women joined Postulants, Novice and Sisters for music outreach at Holy Family Parish, Brillion on Saturday evening for Sunday Eucharist.  Interaction with this faith community provided more moments of seeing the spiral of God’s love in genuinely good people. We were grateful for this opportunity!

Are you called to be with us for our February Discernment Retreat?

8 thoughts on “What was Helpful About ‘A Spiral of Love’ Franciscan Discernment Retreat”

1. Mary Momot says:

looks and sounds like it was a wonderful time for all!

2. Lindsey says:

It was a gift to get to know these young women on retreat this weekend. To the retreatants, thank you for your witness of faith and your courage. I know as postulants, we loved being able to spend time with each of you.

With prayers,

Lindsey

3. Meg says:

It was wonderful to be able to spend time with all of you postulants as well! I wish I had had more time to visit with each of you individually. It was heart-warming to see how you all have flourished in this short amount of time.

My prayers are with you all,
    Meg

4. Sister Ann Joachim says:

Thank you,Sisters Mary Ann and Julie Ann. What tremendous good you do for youth.

5. These young women are wonderful, faith-filled gals open to Jesus' love and guidance! It is a joy to be with them and to be part of their journey! I admire their honesty, courage, and depth of love for God and the Church! Thanks to all who participated in this discernment retreat weekend and special thanks to all who prayed for us!

6. Leslie (Postulant) says:

It was a blessing to have these young women visit us this weekend. It was clear to me that the Holy Spirit is working in their lives and it was wonderful to visit with them. Your questions and honest searching provided a reminder of why I came here. Know that we will be praying for all of you to be open to the gentle moving of the Holy Spirit in what ever dirrection He chooses to take you. If Jesus is at the center of your life it will be Holy.

Thanks for coming,

Leslie

7. Sister Anne Marie Lom says:

Know that I will continue to pray as the women who visit discern their call. I also am continuing to pray for those with us who are growing in their call and in their spiritual life. I hope you will pray for those of us in the community that we continue to grow as well. This life-long “Journey into God” (Bonaventure's words) is a thrilling, challenging and ever new adventure!

8. Sweetsue64 says:

The beauty is Jesus called and these young women responded and were gifted in a very special way, what a gift from our God. May your lives be fuller and more meaningful. God bless you!