Vocation Bite: Hungry for Something New

by Sister Julie Ann on September 20, 2010

Franciscan Vocation Hunger Meal

Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity Postulants and Novices are hostesses for 'Hungry for Something New', a monthly vocation invitation for evening prayer and a meal.

It is  Hunger Action Month. And the Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity fed eight young women’s spiritual and physical hungers on  Monday, September 19, 2010.

This was our first  ‘Hungry for Something New’ vocation invitation.

Arriving by 4:30 p.m. at our front door, guests first prayed the liturgy of the hours in St. Mary Chapel with us. Next, after a brief tour of our backyard, some initial introductions with Postulants and Novices,   all joined the Community for some home-made pizza, etc.  and thoughtful conversation in our convent cafeteria. Visitors left by 6:30 p.m..

Here are comments from our dinner guests:

• This is cool. This is my first time taking part in this.
  • I came because Leslie (Postulant) invited me.
  • Young Women Join Franciscan Sisters for PrayerI’m not any faith but I’ve been coming to a couple Masses & this was just really amazing.
  • I will definitely be back next time.
  • I was so excited to come and it was awesome.
  • I found out about this through Life-Teen. I am excited that there are more people from this Community helping out with Life-Teen.
  • We saw a poster in the bathroom-Roncalli-(impressive initiative).

And a bit more…

• I wanted to know more about the Sisters’ habits (Sisters from other religious communities who live with us while going to school at Silver Lake College).
  • I really liked how the Sisters prayed the Liturgy of the Hours, very reflective with time to think & pray.
  • We talked about being vegetarian, school lunches, prom, things the Postulants and Novices are responsible for i.e. dishwasher.
  • Do the College Sisters live here at the Motherhouse?
  • I loved the Amish cookies at supper!
  • I noticed the Sister flipping the pages at prayer and not knowing where to go in the book.
  • Curious about the gardens, guesthouses, bedrooms and would like to hear Sister Priscilla’s harmonica.
  • Are parts of the prayer memorized?

Are you ‘hungry for something new’? Click here for the next opportunity.

19 thoughts on “Vocation Bite: Hungry for Something New”

1. Sr Sarah says:

What a wonderful experience for all those involved. I am sure the young women appreciated the experience.

2. Leslie (postulant) says:

This was a wonderful time to spend with some great young woman. I am so glad that all of you came and I hope to see you again. Prayer and supper is a great way to open our home to folks who live around here.

3. Sr. Elaine says:

It was great to have you here as part of our community for prayer and supper. I know the Postulants were thrilled to be hostesses and spend some time visiting with you. Their excitement for this evening had been building for the past few weeks…and finally the day arrived! Blessings upon each of our special visitors and we hope you return again.

4. Sister Monica (novice) says:

You are funny, Sister Julie Ann….glad we helped to feed eight young women! It was wonderful to visit with the people who came! I am looking forward to the next one!

5. Hmmm…but the importance of Hunger Action Month was just too important not to include.

Another wonderful fact about our evening was that our guests are involved in Silver Lake College, St. Francis of Assisi Parish Life Teen and Roncalli High School. One young woman volunteers at the gift shop at Holy Family Memorial. One could tell these young women were people of action!

6. Snatalie says:

What a blessing to have all these young women come to join us for prayer and supper!

It seemed evident on all the faces that Franciscan Hospitality was experienced and once again enjoyed!

Come again!

7. Thanks to our Sisters and Postulants for the personal invitation given to each of the participants. Of course, how each one was made aware of the evening was part of conversation!

8. saak says:

What a wonderful idea! I was so happy to read about this new way of reaching out and sharing our blessings. I can't help but feel God's blessings coming down upon all involved. Thank you. The Lord is in our midst.

9. Shelena says:

What a great response to sharing food for the soul and the body. It sounds like it was a positive experience for all. Thank you to the Postulants who acted as hostesses. Blessings on future “Hungry For Something New”!

10. Sister Anne Marie Lom says:

Looks like the evening was blessed. Thanks for posting this so I can give the Oshkosh LifeTeens something to ready and ponder. Maybe I can coax some visitors from the Southwest corner of the diocese!

11. srsharon says:

Sounds like you all had a blessed evening with feeding the spiritual & physical hungers and I imagine feeding the “funny-bones” also. I agree the Life-Teen and Edge Programs have been a wonderful blessing in energizing the young to discuss, companioning and fulfilling some needs of others in other states as well as at their home “communities.” It certainly has been a grace having Edge & Life-Teen here in West Point, NE. It has also involved many adults, parents & teachers and we see growth in the spirit and grace of the parishes. Our parish have had these two Programs for 4 years with very fine leadership. This year for the first time our parish has blended the Edge Program with the CCD Program. Have a blessed FALL enjoying the Lord's colorful CREATION! Sr. Sharon Paul

12. Srosangela says:

What a great idea!! I read about this on the bulletin board at the college. I was wondering how it would turn out. I can see from the comments that it was a huge success. I wouldn't be surprised if word spreads and you have even more young women come next month. God bless all of you.

13. We would love to have young women from the southwest corner of the diocese join us for our next Oct. “Hungry for Something New” evening!!!! Thanks for all your interest and support!

14. I am so glad that the young women were able to join us and that they felt so “at home”! Having home-made pizza was also great!

Thanks to all who encourage young women (and men) to open their hearts to discern the direction Jesus is desiring for them!

15. You are a great witness for the youth from the Lifeteen group at St. Francis of Assisi parish here in Manitowoc Sister Sarah!

16. Sister Kay says:

I love this idea! Any way to include posters at Silver Lake College? Women's bathrooms might work here too 🙂

17. Sister Marie Bernadette says:

I just had to smile. Who would ever guess that a religious vecation could begin in a restroom of all places. The Lord does work in mysterious ways.

18. Sr. Delores W. says:

What a great idea! Thanks Rose, Leslie, Holly and Lindsey for hosting the event. It looks like it was alot of fun.

God bless you all….

19. Spamelacatherine - novice says:

It was so wonderful to spend the evening with the young women and to share a meal! We are looking forward to the next gathering!