It is Hunger Action Month. And the Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity fed eight young women’s spiritual and physical hungers on Monday, September 19, 2010.
This was our first ‘Hungry for Something New’ vocation invitation.
Arriving by 4:30 p.m. at our front door, guests first prayed the liturgy of the hours in St. Mary Chapel with us. Next, after a brief tour of our backyard, some initial introductions with Postulants and Novices, all joined the Community for some home-made pizza, etc. and thoughtful conversation in our convent cafeteria. Visitors left by 6:30 p.m..
Here are comments from our dinner guests:
- This is cool. This is my first time taking part in this.
- I came because Leslie (Postulant) invited me.
- I’m not any faith but I’ve been coming to a couple Masses & this was just really amazing.
- I will definitely be back next time.
- I was so excited to come and it was awesome.
- I found out about this through Life-Teen. I am excited that there are more people from this Community helping out with Life-Teen.
- We saw a poster in the bathroom-Roncalli-(impressive initiative).
And a bit more…
- I wanted to know more about the Sisters’ habits (Sisters from other religious communities who live with us while going to school at Silver Lake College).
- I really liked how the Sisters prayed the Liturgy of the Hours, very reflective with time to think & pray.
- We talked about being vegetarian, school lunches, prom, things the Postulants and Novices are responsible for i.e. dishwasher.
- Do the College Sisters live here at the Motherhouse?
- I loved the Amish cookies at supper!
- I noticed the Sister flipping the pages at prayer and not knowing where to go in the book.
- Curious about the gardens, guesthouses, bedrooms and would like to hear Sister Priscilla’s harmonica.
- Are parts of the prayer memorized?
Are you ‘hungry for something new’? Click here for the next opportunity.