Celebrate St. Francis with Streaming Songs of Peace

by Sister Julie Ann on September 30, 2010

Celebrating St. Francis’s Feast Day through October, the Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity, in concert with Franciscans International and gifted musical artists Eric AndersonJames Hall, Choirs of Annunciation of the Mother of God Byzantine Catholic Church (Homer Glen, IL), Tommy James, Daniel Martin MooreSue Bruk, Mark Kolter (Kolter Creative Counsel) and Tanner-Monagle present ‘Streaming Songs of Peace’.

Franciscans International

Franciscans International works at the UN and international organizations to influence decision makers on behalf of the most vulnerable.

Sr. Denise Boyle, fmdm, with Franciscans International partners and Marist brothers attending the United Nations Universal Periodic Review for the Democratic Republic of Congo.

It was William Shakespeare who extolled the virtue of music in prose, but St Francis who demonstrated in his daily life how music permeating to the deepest level of our being, can unite us with the Divine. I vividly remember the awful experience of going into a school playground in rural Africa where the children were too weak from hunger to play.  One week after we commenced a feeding programme I arrived at the same playground to hear the children singing as they played – it was the most joyous music I have ever heard!

Franciscans International is delighted to support the initiative of ‘Streaming Songs of Peace’ which the Franciscan Sisters of Charity are running throughout October.  It is a wonderful way to highlight the spontaneous spirit of St. Francis, who burst into song and dance because of the joy of knowing God loved him uniquely.  I believe the emphasis that Francis put on peace, arose out of that desire to live in union with God, which extended to everyone he met and to the created world around him.  FI encourages you to get involved with the ‘Streaming Songs of Peace’ as a positive means of sharing and radiating peace and joy in our troubled world today…….

–Sr. Denise Boyle fmdm, Executive Director FI.

Website: http://www.franciscansinternational.org/

Streaming Songs of Peace

There is An Answer by James Hall

Comment from James

On writing this song I thought of my favorite songs of all time, and how simple they are, some of them like six lines of lyric.  A simple idea or simple thought is easy for me to remember and sing along.  More importantly I wanted to tell the truth.  A lot of questions in life, but most of my peace is sponsored by the trust that there is an answer, even if I don’t know what that answer is.

I hope that offers some insight into a process that I don’t fully understand myself… (photo: John Beebe)

Lyrics

Website:

I Shall Go Unbounded by Eric Andersen

Comments from Eric

Singer, Songwriter Eric AndersenI wrote this waiting for a subway uptown from the West Fourth St. station about 4 AM February 1964.  I hummed the tune on the empty platform and could almost see the lyrics appear on the dirty white tile walls.  This is the same Village subway station where William Burroughs starts his book ‘Naked Lunch,’ where he jumps over the turnstiles to escape ‘the heat.’

Years later in Italy I visited important places of St. Francis’ life, including Assisi and the monastery in Greccio north of Rome where he first staged the first Christmas tableau of Jesus’ birth featuring a stable crèche which included real animals and people.  My friend who later died took me there.  His name was also Francesco.

Lyrics

Websites:

By the Waters of Babylon Performed by Annunciation of the Mother of God Byzantine Catholic Church Choirs

ThEOSISRead about the history of two congregations of faith formerly St. Mary Assumption in Joliet, Illinois and St. Mary in Chicago and Oak Lawn, IL uniting to form Annunciation of the Mother of God Byzantine Catholic Parish in Joliet, IL.

Learn about the beauty of icons present in their worship space.  Visit them in person when you are passing by this area of the country.

Website:

Crystal Blue Persuasion by Tommy James

Comment from Tommy

Tommy James“Crystal Blue Persuasion” is my personal favorite of all our hits.  Whenever I hear it, I immediately think of that magic summer of 1969 – but more importantly, it was the point in my life when I became a Christian, which is what the song is about.  Political correctness hadn’t been invented yet and it was perfectly fine to write about your feelings.  Thank God.

Lyrics

Website

The Old Measure by Daniel Martin Moore

Comment from Daniel

Daniel Martin Moore“i have read by my own dim light
and of these matters at hand
i recount to you
what truths i can”

Lyrics

Websites:

Let’s Get Together by Paul Brady

Comment from Paul

Paul BradyI always loved the song ‘Get Together’ and was pleased to be asked to sing it on the Bleecker St compilation.

I feel that separation is at the heart of a lot of the problems of mankind and that fear is the main obstacle to closeness between people.

The song expresses that very well and I recommend it to all who see music as a positive and unifying force in the world.

Lyrics

Websites

Peace and All Good (Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity) [audio: fscc.mp3]

Sung by Sue Bruk, written by Mark Kolter, with Tanner-Monagle for Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity, ‘Peace and All Good’s’  lyrics- ‘called to be’- and reflective arrangement are an invitation to follow your call from God and find peace  in yourself, in others and in the world around you.

We invite young women to consider our Franciscan way of life by experiencing our discernment retreats. Click here for more information.

25 thoughts on “Celebrate St. Francis with Streaming Songs of Peace”

1. Ssharon says:

Sr. Denise, thank you for supporting via Franciscans International the “Streaming Songs of Peace” music throughout Oct. Music certainly is an avenue of delight to the spirit, heart and soul of life don't you think? Yes, I will take time to listen off and on to the artists throughout Oct. Mark Kolter, you revealed your talent of composing music too. Praise the Lord! A blessed FEAST of St. FRANCIS to all on Monday! Sr. Sharon Paul

2. Leslie - postulant says:

I think that this song's message (Let's Get Together) is simple. Love one another. It paints a picture of how much better this world would be if we related to one another in a loving manner. Love on another as I have loved you.

3. “I Shall Go Unbounded” by Eric Anderson immediately brings to mind the inner freedom that comes with the peace of knowing oneself thus knowing God who speaks to us from within. He has a wonderfully comfortable voice which blends with the instruments enhancing the message of this song–respect and acceptance for others and oneself.

4. Just came across this info. which is right in line with our focus of Gospel peace and these wonderful peace songs! http://shine.yahoo.com/event/green/where-did-the-peace-sign-come-from-2392559/

5. Sister Monica - Novice says:

I like this song (Crystal Blue Persuasion) because of the hopeful, positive message. It reminds me of the two choices we have in the spiritual aspect of our lives: we can focus all of our attention on the evils of the world, or we can see the goodness around us, trusting God that He can illuminate the darkness. I think, as Franciscans especially, we are called to do the latter.

6. Rose - Postulant says:

Re: 'The Old Measure'–More often than not , we are plagued by choices we have or haven't made in life but no amount of regret can change the past. We are called to look forward and look to Christ for inner healing and peace. In Him we are given the opportunity to breath a “sigh of relief” and continue our journey with Him. “Our hearts are restless until they rest in God.” St. Augustine

7. On this actual day of St. Francis Feast, it seems appropriate to share along with this stream of peace a few words of peace from St. Bonaventure. This follower of St. Francis explains why these songs are 'so Francis'.

“…through the intercession of blessed Francis, our leader and father, he [Eternal Father] may enlighten the eyes of our soul to guide our feet in the way of that peace which surpasses all understanding.

This is peace proclaimed and given to us by our Lord Jesus Christ and preached again and again by our Father Francis.

At the beginning and end of every sermon he announced peace; in every greeting he wished for peace; in every contemplation he sighed for ecstatic peace…who was peaceable with those who hated peace….”

8. FatherJeffrey says:

Keep up the good work.

Father Jeffrey Mickler

9. Thanks for your encouragement Fr. Jeffrey! Peace and all good to you!

10. L. says:

The whole time listening to the song, I could only really focus on the word unbounded, which made me think about God's love being unbounded, and that our love for HIm and others should be unbounded as well. I also thought about how God is always there waiting for us.

11. K.L. says:

To spread peace you need to open up to people that need help.

12. NW says:

The song “I Will Go Unbounded” inspires peace in that it displays an effort to understand others. The performer sings that he will wait for prisoners just to speak to them and get to know them. The major cause of war is misunderstanding.

13. KK says:

Being a witness to others can spread Jesus' peace. We are Jesus' hands and feet. We must be the only Gospel someone will encounter. Imagine spreading the love and peace of Christ!

14. H. says:

When I think of unbounded, I think of w/out being held back. When someone is trying to spread peace or the love of Christ, no one should feel held back. They should feel free to spread the Word and peace. They should feel called to be a witness to spread Christ's light.

15. K. says:

God is waiting outside our door. He is there in our times of sorrow and joy, and is not going anywhere….

16. SH says:

It is nice to hear about the meeting at the crossroads for us to be remembered. So even if we don't realize it God is always with us.

17. JL says:

I think it really shows peace because it emphasized in the chorus how all God wants is to stand outside his door. There is nothing more powerful than God and just being peacefully in his presence is enough.

18. Thanks for all the thoughtful reflections on these songs of peace! I particularly appreciate your comment “There is nothing more powerful than God and just being peacefully in his presence is enough.” There is great freedom in this!

19. NS says:

Peace is more than not fighting. Peace is having no anger, no anxiety. The only way to true peace is Christ.

20. JS says:

very happy, upbeat, song-fills you with a very calming sense of peace afterward

21. CB says:

The chains hold us back from being free. While we are held back, we may become frustrated, and not be at peace.

22. JG says:

I felt like the song was about a person who reaches out and spreads the words of Jesus. Every Catholic should try harder and harder everyday to speak what Jesus spoke and act as Jesus acted. That would make the world a better place.

23. BZ says:

We must have peace and continue to seek peace within ourselves before we can spread it to others. Finding peace and solace in the love of Jesus allows us to reach out and be Christ's compassion and peace in the world.

24. Mk says:

I think if we remember that Jesus is there for us, we will have the courage to spread His peace.

25. LL says:

I believe that peace and and love is something that grows by example