For Real: 4 Called to Be Franciscan Postulants

by Sister Julie Ann on August 22, 2010

Franciscan Sisters Postulants

Lindsey Lanier, Rose Pearson, Holly Larson and Leslie Gonia arrived at the Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity Motherhouse on August 22, 2010 to begin their lives as Postulants under the guidance of Sister Elaine Turba, OSF.

Can you imagine waking up on August 22, 2010 knowing that before the end of the day we Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity would open the doors of our lives to 4 young women as Postulants? Talk about an exciting day dream really happening.

And the Postulants desiring to discern further a possible call to Franciscan religious life in our community did arrive mid-day at the Motherhouse. Two came by car. Two came by air to the Milwaukee airport followed by an I43 car ride.

Although a future posting will include some personal sharing from our Postulants, here’s four brief profiles:

Sister Elaine Turba, OSF, will guide the Postulants in their efforts to further open themselves in faith to God and to discovering His will for their lives (along with a community of cheering Franciscan Sisters.)

Allowing for a gradual transition from the lay life to the life of the Novitiate, our Postulants receive assistance in these areas:

• personal and communal prayer and spiritual reading
  • group instruction and discussions
  • regular personal guidance
  • formal guidance in prayer
  • acquaintance with our ministries
  • academic and spiritual preparation for participation in our ministry
  • personal growth experience of living and working with us
  • home visits with family and friends while continuing to work through a life choice

Check out another ‘before’ and ‘after’ look. Expect to hear more about their lives together from them. The Lord bless you, Leslie, Holly, Lindsey and Rose.

44 thoughts on “For Real: 4 Called to Be Franciscan Postulants”

1. Lois Rizzo says:

May God Bless and Guide all the Postulants. I will keep them in my prayers daily.

2. sisterannemarielom says:

Welcome and God's blessings on all involved… that would be all of us!

3. It is a joy to welcome you all to our Postulancy!!! I'm so glad that Jesus has been guiding you to this day and I'm sure that our Mother Mary on her feastday will be a special influence in your lives! Count on my continued prayer and support, with Jesus' love, Sister Mary Ann

4. srsharon says:

WELCOME TO OUR ABODE, Leslie, Lindsey, Holly & Rose! How blessed we are to have you WITH us. God's special blessings to you as you search and discern the Lord's designs for you. Be assured of our prayers and in fact we have been remembering you in prayer even before you arrived. If your ears ring this A.M. there will be an intention offered at Morning Prayer about 6:40 A.M. Our Srs. here in West Point, NE had a Prayer A.M. at the Benedictine Center in Schuyler, NE and spiritual discussion followed by a delicious meal. On Sunday we traveled to the BIG CITY (Ha!) and attended Mass at St. Cecilia's Cathedral with all it's pomp & circumstances. One noteworthy tidbit was that there were many different cultures represented. I spoke with a handicapped man in a wheelchair and he said that there is a bus that brings him to Mass every Sunday weather permitting. He asked WHERE we were from and he proceeded to say that he attended Wayne State College in Wayne, NE(within half hour or so from West Pt.) and received a Special Education Degree & taught for a few yrs. What dedication and how he prized attending Mass! One of our Srs. who ministers in NE met us for Mass and then we ate at Country Buffet. Then, we leisurely traveled through Omaha & came home via Blair, NE. This weekend we had our two Community Days. Now, it's TIME to resume our varied ministries because it's Monday already. With a Grateful Heart and in remembrance & SUPPORT of each of you. WELCOME aboard Sr. Elaine Turba! Sr. Sharon Paul

5. Thanks for your prayers, Lois. May we all see the beauty surrounding us on this feast of St. Rome of Lima. And like Francis may the Spirit's “burning fire penetrate the innermost depths of the heart”.

6. Shelena says:

Welcome Holly, Leslie, Lindsey, and Rose to the Postulancy! Sister Elaine, welcome to you, too, as you begun the journey with the Postulants. Be assured of a remembrance in my prayers for all of you. I look forward to meeting you.

7. Sr. Marie Kolbe says:

A heartfelt welcome to each of you, along with a promise of prayers!

8. Maggie Mcconnaha says:

I'm sure you are going to love living there! Welcome!

9. Scjuck says:

Welcome, Leslie, Holly, Lindsey and Rose! We are not only praying for you here in Two Rivers, WI but you are also an answer to our prayers. You are a blessing to us as you answer God's call. Hope to meet you in person as our postulants. God blessings upon your days. Sister Carol Juckem

10. Spatricias says:

Welcome to all of you! May God bless you and Sr. Elaine as you begin a year of sharing, discerning and study. Know that you are in my prayer daily. May your transition be as smooth as possible and filled with the support of all your Sisters. Sister Pat Sevcik

11. Sister Carla says:

Dear Leslie, Lindsey, Holly and Rose,
    I am very happy and excited for you having taken this big step in your life's journey. I'll keep you raised up to our Lord in prayer as you discover more about our Community and about yourselves. I am in Tucson, AZ doing pastoral ministry at San Xavier Mission. I look forward to meeting you in person.
    Sister Carla

12. Srosangela says:

We certainly enjoyed having you come to Chiara Convent on Monday for prayer and supper. We are blesssed to have you as Postulants and pray for each of you as you discern a religious vocation to our community. We hope you can come for a visit again soon. God bless you.
    Sister Rosangela

13. Spamelacatherine, novice says:

A warm welcome to each you, Holly, Lindsey, Leslie and Rose!! What a blessing it is that you are here! Know that you will be kept in prayer as you begin this wonderful journey!!

14. Hollylarson26 says:

Thank you for your prayers! 🙂 We have been meeting lots of sisters and trying to remember all their names. It has been quite a challenge, but I am sure it will come in time. All of you have been so welcoming and I am very excited to get to know all of you more. God Bless!

15. Brittany Staires says:

How beautiful! I sure do miss Lindsey, but i know that God has her in His Hands exactly where she's meant to be. Praying for all of ya'll, and can't wait to meet the other 3 someday!

16. Sister Monica, novice says:

It is so exciting for the four of you to join us! Please know of my daily prayers for all of you, and my joy of being able to get to know you all more!

17. sisterannemarielom says:

I love the “before and after” look. Your radiant faces speak volumes.

18. Rose says:

You are all so wonderful! Thank you so much for your warm welcome and your prayers! It is such a joy to be here and we can't wait to see what else the Lord has for us!

19. Diane Coursolle says:

I'm so happy for all of you! You're all in my prayers!

20. Leslie says:

You sisters are wonderful and we all appreciate your warm welcome. Thanks for helping us feel at home.

21. Sister Kay says:

Welcome to our home and life! It was delightful to meet you and share stories at our evening meal last Monday. Thanks for your courageous “yes” and for your openness.

22. Sister Mariella says:

It is so wonderful to see the radient faces of our new postulants, Holly, Leslie, Lindsey, and Rose! It is inspiring to see the the enthusiasm of youth and especially of youth drawn by the Spirit of God to a life of love and service for the sake of the Kingdom of God. May you stay close to the Lord and daily pray to see clearly His will for you. “The mian thing is to keep the main thing the main thing” – JESUS.
    Be asurred of my prayers and support. God bless each of you.

23. Scriach says:

You look so nice in black and white. Our colors never go out of fashion. Even more you look happy. May our Lord bless you abundantly for being willing to give your lives to Him. Enjoy each day as afresh adventure!
    Sister Carla

24. srsharon says:

Welcome to each of you! I live twelve hours away but keep you in prayer every day! I remember when…yup, it is truly amazing how God works in our lives. May you find your love for God growing each day as you grow in knowledge and love of our Franciscan community. Love and prayers from West Point, Nebraska!

Oops…somehow this saved as Sr. Sharon but it really is me…Sr. Joellen! God Bless

25. Sr. Elaine says:

What a tremendous spirit these young women brought with them! It is so evident that they love our Lord and want to serve Him with their whole heart. It is a joy to be with them as they grow in discerning their vocation. God's blessings upon each of them.

26. Sjune says:

Welcome Leslie, Holly, Lindsey and Rose.
    I am looking forward to being apart of Postulant team.
    God bless you.
    Sister June.

27. Kelly Christine says:

I just wanted to welcome the new Postulants and wish them well as they begin this very special journey. May the Lord's Blessings be forever with them and their Directress. God's Speed. Kelly Werner.

28. srsharon says:

Congratulations to the four of you! You are fantastic in looks and spirit. I hear there is a breath of fresh air in your spirit. Keep it up,love God and let the rest of the world go by!

29. S.Carol Ann Gambsky says:

Greetings from Hawaii!

God's blessings upon you each day as the journey unfolds moment by moment. You are in our prayers.

Sister Carol Ann

30. SJan says:

Hello from Yuma,

It is so good to see two of you I met this summer, Holly and Rose. It will be a whole school year before I meet the other two of you, Leslie and Lindsey. I am in Yuma AZ. So when I get home for the summer you will be almost novices!!!!!! Last schoolyear we had Marie(Sister Isabel) live with us in Yuma. It was a great time for her and us. You can ask her about our lives out here.

31. Salexandra says:

Congratulations, postulants! We are happy you have joined us and we pray for you often that you persevere in this special calling from the Lord.

32. Smariagoretti says:

Loving welcome from Yuma, to our newest members! It is such a joy to see such lovely smiling postulants– four strong! And at last, a fellow Louisianian among us! Lindsey, hope you get to Yuma sometime…I'm the only one here who eats grits and knows what gumbo is! My prayer is that your smiles grow even brighter as you grow deeper in your love for our Lord and realize his great love for you. Enjoy your postulancy!

Sister Maria Goretti

33. Sannmary says:

Welcome to the Community! You look great in your uniforms! May it be a good year for you as you grow in knowledge of yourself and our Community. You are prayed for every Wednesday.

34. Sister Theresa Feldkamp says:

We were so excited at St. Benedict Convent in Cambridge to hear of your arrival! We remember you each day at prayer and in a special way at our parish holy hour on Thursday evenings. God bless you as you get to know our community and grow in your love of the Lord!

35. Lindsey says:

Thank you Sisters for your warm welcome and prayers. They are truly appreciated. It has been a joy to get to know the Sisters here at the Motherhouse, at Chiara convent and at St. Francis. Hopefully we will meet those of you on mission during the summer.

Sister Maria Goretti, I have been craving Louisiana food. I was sad to hear that you're in Arizona because I brought some Tony Chachere's with me and no one here knows what that is.

I know the four of us are excited to be here and are looking forward to what the Lord has in store for us over the next year.

36. Sjan says:

Lindsey,

Sr. Maria Goretti is always cooking up her “grits” here in Yuma. I am sure you know what those are! They do serve them at the Cracker Barrel restaurant. I like them. I am sure hers are delicious. I will have to try them next time.

I hear Rose can serve up a great meal too. Anyone want to come out and help me cook tomorrow? We take turns by the day. Each of us gets a couple turns per month. It is fun. that way you can make what you like.

I know you get great meals at the Motherhouse.

37. Smariagoretti says:

Lindsey,

Um-m-m! Tony Cachere's Cajun Creole Seasoning!!! Whenever I visit my family in Louisiana, I'm always sure to get gumbo, red beans and rice, and Dixie shrimp with cheese grits! You can save Tony Cachere for when you come to Yuma or until I get home to the Motherhouse next summer!

I expect to visit Dad in New Orleans after Christmas…who knows, maybe we can connect! Last time I cooked up some grits, some of the sisters here even admitted it looked good! Nice to have you on board along with your lovely companions! Sister Maria Goretti

38. Spaulita says:

We enjoyed having Sister Elaine and the four postulants here for dinner today and to show them our wonderful St. Francis Convent. Their little introuductions of themselves gave us a glimpse of their background and what they are looking forward to doing in the future for the Lord. We will be praying for you. SPaulita

39. Jstratman says:

Hello, future students of SLC! I am looking forward to your being in class in two short days. May the Holy Spirit be our guide! Sister Judanne

40. Slkedoff says:

Our San Xavier convent home, Santa Cruz School (Tucson) and San Xavier Mission School communities here (only about 2,200 miles from Manitowoc!) welcome any/all of you if that opportunity presents itself. We are six FSCC members serving in two parish and school ministries iin Tucson. We can offer you variety in ministry, a loving convent community, and cactus galore. Peace and blessings to you as you begin the adventure of adapting to Franciscan religious life. With prayer for you,

Sister Leonette Kochan

41. sanne says:

We here in Greenwood, MS welcome the 4 or you to our Motherhouse. We are excited for you and for ourselves. Know that we keep you often in our thoughts, prayers and conversations. You each look great in your black and white. Blending in I understand, it is called! Beginnings can be challenging, but transitions are always “graced times”. So count on the Lord's goodness and love to be very near and available. Blessings to each of you and to Sister Elaine also.

42. Sister Annette says:

43. Sidow40 says:

It was wonderful really meeting you all at Stockbridge and the meal following. Thank you for enriching our Franciscan community with your enthusiasm and sharing of the gifts God has given you. May you always be happy in our Franciscan community.