Franciscan Formation is Ongoing: On the Journey Together

by Sister Julie Ann on July 28, 2010

Franciscan Sisters On the Journey Together

Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity experience 'On the Journey Together', a vocation renewal program July 25-28, 2010.

When Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity in their 40’s and 50’s were surveyed on possible topics and speakers for a July 25-28, 2010 summer vocation renewal program, the suggestions for topics fell into 6 areas. Can you guess what they were?

Sister Patricia Linssen, OSF, gathered the feedback and organized On the Journey Together integrating Eucharist, common prayer and recreation times with guest speakers and discussions around these desires for input:

• health
  • age issues
  • community life
  • spiritual issues
  • apostolate
  • balance

Adding a special richness to the workshop in the form of speakers and a Wednesday morning panel were the presence of  some of our own community members, including Sister Louise Hembrecht, OSF, Community Director, who invited questions, concerns and shared hopes for the future. Sister Adrianna Schouten, OSF,  facilitated a conversation on ministry while Sister Anne Marie Lom, OSF, shared  personal experiences and helpful skills for healthy relationships in comunity life.  Sister Andree Du Charme, OSF, Sister Henrietta Means, OSF, Sister Jerianne Stelmach, OSF, and Sister Marlita Henseler, OSF,  offered valuable insights on balancing prayer, community and ministry in life.

Guest presenters contributing added professional expertise and spiritual wisdom included:

• Nancy Siskowic, NP , a woman’s health nurse practitioner, a nationally certified menopause clinian, a licensed psychotherapist and a certified spiritual director, addressed issues related to health and spiritual wellness.
  • Bishop Robert Morneau, a beloved former college professor for most of us involved in the days, presented on the Apostolate: Zeal for the Kingdom as well as presided at Tuesday’s Eucharistic Celebration.
  • Father Finian Zaucha, OFM, Motherhouse chaplain, presided at the Monday Eucharistic feast of Sts. Anne and Joachim.

16 thoughts on “Franciscan Formation is Ongoing: On the Journey Together”

1. Mbodwin says:

I heard real positive comments about the sisters time spent together. I”am happy that it was such a wonderful get together for them.
    I know they are grateful for the time and effort that went into the planning.
    Sister Mary Bodwin

2. These days have been wonderful blessings! I will try to continue to practice “the triangle” and share with everyone the goodness, depth, respect, and faith we received from each other!

Bishop Morneau's description of living in the present encourages a game plan adapted from basketball coach John Wooden–Be true to yourself–become who God has made me to be
    –Make each day your masterpiece
    –Help others–cross the tracks to where people are hurting
    –Drink deeply from good books, especially the Bible–do the best in the discernment
    process
    –Make friendship a fine art–Grace is frienship with God
    –Pray for guidance and give thanks for your blessings everyday
    –Be a Eucharistic person

3. Sr. Elaine says:

What enriching days together! It was a joy and a privilege to be part of such a wonderful experience in sharing with our Sisters these past few days. May we all continue to grow gracefully and graciously as we journey with each other in our relationship with the Lord. Thank you, Sister Patricia, and all those who were instrumental in making these days possible for us. God bless you!

4. Sister Martin Flavin says:

Thank you for sharing with all of us who have passed this God-given truly wonderful time of actively journeying together. He and all the Saints who watch over the Sisters in this age group are with them!

5. sannek says:

It was so encouraging to see the “mid-lifers” gathered together. The sharing I've heard was so enriching and the laughter we heard first hand was so enliving. God's blessing on each of you as He leads you into the future.

6. Sister Martin, I am sure you would have agreed with Bishop Bob that reading the best of what there is available contributes to the heart of 'apostolic zeal' e.g. Markings by Dag-Hammarskjold.

7. Sister Annette, the Lord give you peace as you journey into the world of Greenwood, MS for the first time today (you should be off the train and settling into the convent now.) May you be enriched in all ways as you see with new eyes.

8. Anne Marie Lom says:

I was honored to be part of this process for one afternoon as we pondered living a quality community life centered in forgiveness, respect, and emotional availability to each other. May each day bring you closer to Jesus, the Franciscan charism and community members.

9. Sister Laura Wolf says:

What a wonderful opportunity to share on so many levels about our life together. You are the future of the Congregation and I am proud to call you all Sister!

10. smjs says:

It's a week later and the message of the days still resound in my heart. What a blessing, in all ways, to have had this time to get to know each other in a deeper way and to find our common life to be a source of joy and renewal. I think the smile on faces in these pictures says it all. I am glad you are my Sisters.

11. Sr Sarah says:

We are blessed to journey togehter as a “mid life” group, and as a Community. The mix of us truly allows God's grace to shine in many facets of life.

12. Dear Sisters – all of you! Looking at the pictures of our day together brings back such warm and wonderful memories. I was overwhelmed by your beauty and openness. I thank God for the opportunity to be with you. Know that you have touched my life deeply. Thank you, God bless, and happy journeying. Nancy Siskowic

13. Live life to the full–especially that upcoming backpacking hike! Peace and all good, Nancy.

14. S.Carol Ann says:

Jubilee in June and a wonderful workshop in July made for an abundantly blest summer! I am so grateful to my Sister “companions” and the journey we make together. May God bless us daily as we open ourselves to God's presence.

15. Srosangela says:

I am happy our “younger Sisters” had the chance to come together for this “Mini Renewal.” It seems to have been a big success for them. Blessings on all who took part and all those who planned and executed the program.

16. Sr. Delores Wisnicky says:

It looked like a very renewing time. I would have enjoyed the talks, laughter and sharing as well. As I walk this journey of faith, days like this are more precious. God bless you all.