Moved from Near and Far for Pentecost Vocation Discernment Retreat

by Sister Julie Ann on May 23, 2010

Pentecost Franciscan Vocation Discernment Retreat

Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity host Pentecost Vocation Discernment Retreat.

The Holy Spirit moved and directed retreatants from Florida and Wisconsin cities to the Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity Pentecost Vocation Discernment Retreat, May 21-23, 2010. Inspired by the power of the Holy Spirit in the lives of St. Francis, St. Clare and St. Bonaventure, participants were also immersed in the powerful symbolism of water, fire and wind for the weekend.

Saturday morning this musical reflection began the Scripture reflection on Jn 14:26. Can you help us identify the artist?

[audio: Come Holy Spirit.mp3]

Along with other Spirit-rich Scripture texts, this  reading from St. Bonaventure’s The Major Legend of Saint Francis, Chapter 10 was offered for contemplation.

“Francis usually neglected no visitation of the Spirit. Whenever it was offered, he would follow it; and for as long as the Lord granted, he enjoyed the sweetness offered. When he was occupied with travel and felt the breathing of the divine Spirit, while his companions went on ahead, he would stop in his tracks, as he turned a new inspiration into something fruitful. He did not receive grace in vain.”

Times for personal and communal prayer, Eucharist on Pentecost morning with the Motherhouse community of Franciscan Sisters, an opportunity for the Sacrament of Reconciliation and significant moments spent sharing meals and conversation were also uplifting happenings during the days together. Following the stirrings of the Spirit in responding to the needs of others, the retreatants joined Franciscan Sisters and Novices in serving as music ministers at St. Anne Parish, Francis Creek, WI for the Saturday evening Pentecost Vigil liturgy.

Are you discerning your unique call from God? Consider our next discernment retreat.

15 thoughts on “Moved from Near and Far for Pentecost Vocation Discernment Retreat”

1. Lindsey says:

Thought about and prayed for all of you this weekend, as I was on retreat as well.
    Be assured of continued prayers for each of you, that you will continue to be open to the movement of the Spirit in your hearts.

-Lindsey

2. Lindsey, do know you were near in thought and prayer this weekend. Sister Mary Ann passed on your greetings to the retreatants.

3. sisterannemarielom says:

Thank you for this lyrical and visual posting. I love the rendition of Come, Holy Spirit. This is so well done I felt I “experienced” the retreat right at my computer… of course not as good as being there… but a “taste”.
    Blessings on these post Pentecost days.

4. Holly says:

It has opened my ears even more to listen to God and what he wants me to do with the rest of my life. Praise the Lord! And thank you to all of the community for being so gentle & kind & opening your home for us to stay. God bless all of you.

5. To spend the weekend with these young women discerning their call was a tremendous gift!

The focus of Pentecost portraying community as first and foremost a gift of the Holy Spirit, not built upon mutual compatibility, shared affection or common interests, but upon having received the same divine breath, having been given a heart set aflame by the same divine fire, and having been embraced by the same divine love; touched the profound mystery of living Religious Life!

6. Holly, continue to be aware of the Spirit's gift of understanding that you already have within you. The Lord give you peace.

7. Izzy says:

This retreat has touched my life in many wonderful ways. The experience of meeting new people, making friends & learning from each other our own lives' examples. Listening to the other Sisters' stories helped a lot-expand my discerning process.

8. Even though I was not at the motherhouse, the retreatants were in my thoughts and prayers. From the comments, it sounds like it was a great experience! I pray you continue to be open to the workings of the Holy Spirit in your lives.

9. Izzy, continue to be open to the Spirit in your life. The Lord loves you and desires your happiness.

10. srsharon says:

What a blessed PENTECOST Retreat filled with the many symbols of Pentecost. Holly and Izzy, from your comments you are discerning your vocation in life and we will support you with a prayer, o.k.? This Summer we will have the opportunity of having a young man working in our parish at St. Mary's, West Point, NE who is in the Seminary and was just made a Deacon. He was here for a Summer WHEN he was just beginning Seminary so it will be interesting to see WHERE he is now on his journey. He also is a native of Howells which is a town nearby. Sr. Kara was also here for an experience.

11. Arlene says:

It answered some of my questions and helped me to see my next step.

12. Sister Rosangela says:

It always amazes me at the things you come up with for Retreats, Sister Julie Ann and Sister Mary Ann. What beautiful symbols for the Holy Spirit. I thought about you young women and prayed you would have a meaningful experience. From the looks of these pictures, you certainly did. God be with you as you continue to discern what God wants you to do with your life. May all of us be open to the Holy Spirit as He guides us each day.

13. Thanks for all your support, Sister Rosangela. You make a great cheerleader! Peace and all good.

14. Looking forward to your 'homecoming' here! See you soon, Kara! Peace and all good.

15. Arlene, the Lord is with you. Take the next step with the Lord's blessing. Peace and all good.