Plan Catholic Weekend Retreat for College Students Discerning Future Directions

by Sister Julie Ann on April 24, 2010

When Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity are called to facilitate a retreat for students affiliated with a Catholic Neuman Center in the spring, it is often bitter sweet. The truth is that some students are nearing the end of an often challenging semester and others are at the threshold of completing their degrees moving on to further adventures. On April 24, 2010, Sister Mary Ann Spanjers, OSF and Sister Julie Ann Sheahan, OSF, were touched to be invited to provide reflection guides on discernment and action to UW Superior students and other young adults.

Catholic Discernment Retreat for Young Adults

Catholic Religious Women Assist Young Adults in Discerning Future Directions

Rooted in Franciscanism and true to the liturgical timing of being in the Easter Season, focus was placed on the San Damiano Crucifix, an icon of glory and a summons to be converted and rebuild the Church. The Passion according to the Gospel of John was contemplated and all were reminded that we must struggle to maintain the good fight until we are called home to the Lord. Comfort and strength in the journey, no matter if it is in the direction of more schooling or following one’s call to serve the needs of others in another environment is found in the Eucharist, the pilgrim’s meal.

The celebration of the Eucharist at Christ the King Cathedral within walking distance of the Neuman Center, adoration in the Eucharistic Chapel, personal and group prayer, as well as simple meals fostered union of body and soul among the community of retreatants. Father Andrew Ricci and Meghan and Brett Jones also assisted with the weekend planning.

11 thoughts on “Plan Catholic Weekend Retreat for College Students Discerning Future Directions”

1. sisterannemarielom says:

As the day is closing, I'm sending blessings to you two sisters and to all the students you inspired with the San Damiano Cross reflections. The summons to conversion is a solid message to send forth with those moving into another phase of life. Thank you for sharing this experience.

2. Jody says:

I think having a retreat at the end of a semester is the perfect time. We college students can be so focused on school that it can be easy to loose focus on our Lord.

I really liked the theme on the Eucharist–especially since it is the center of what it is to be Catholic.
    I liked the group sharing and would have enjoyed sharing and hearing how other responed to the music.
    Thanks for helping feed our souls!

3. Lee says:

I did like all of the transitions, from podcast to readings to prayer to quiet time. The transitions kept it fresh.

4. Brad says:

Dear Sister Mary Ann and Sister Julie Ann,
    I really enjoyed the retreat this weekend. I've never really been to a retreat before, so this was a new experience. I really enjoyed the use of visual and audio media during the retreat.
    I also relaly enjoyed all the additional commentary about St. Clair, the TAU Cross, etc…
    I really cannot find anything that needs improvement or alteration. Thank you so much for putting this on for us.
    Sincerely,
    Brad

5. SueAnn says:

The retreat was amazing like years past!
    I really enjoyed the songs and video clips you played for us. My favorite wong was “Jesus you are my Everything.” The little crosses that you gave us are really neat. I like the meaning behind them.
    Thank you for putting on another great retreat for us!

6. Brett says:

A HUGE thank you for the WONDERFUL retreat! I know that I personally enjoyed/appreciated/benefited from it, and I could tell that the students did as well. Thank you so much for putting it together and blessing us with your time and commitment to spreading the knowledge of God's love for us. We are so blessed that you take time for the UWS Newman Center!

7. Katee says:

I really enjoyed the songs and lyrics being incorporated into the retreat. The Eucharist is sucha great point to learn about in the Catholic faith, I think many do not really understand what it means. Thank you sisters for coming and spending this time with us to share your love for Christ and His people.

8. Eric says:

Just learning more about the Eucharist during this retreat was very cool. It was the first time that I saw how the bread for the Body of Christ was made. I liked how this retreat was run and I wouldn't change a thing about it.

9. Jenna says:

Sisters,
    Thank you so much for the retreats you organize for us. There are no words to explain how thankful I am to share faith and fellowship with you. May God bless you!
    As I always say, the retreats are amazing. I enjoy the music and podcasts and your knowledge of faith that you share with us. Keep it as it is and may the graces flow freely from it.

10. Reflecting on your comments, I could feel and read the Holy Spirit's movement in your lives. A retreat is just that–time with Jesus, our everything and our hope and seeing His presence in our lives. I am confident that God will continue to guide your paths into the way of peace. Be assured of our prayers. Know we are ever here cheering you on and if we can ever be of further assistance to you please do contact us.

11. sisterrosangela says:

In reading all the comments I can see the Retreat was a big success . You touched many hearts . Young people seem to be hungry for things spiritual. God is using you to reach them. Thank you for all you do.