Here’s an Earth-Shaking Alliance of Concerned People

by Sister Julie Ann on February 10, 2010

stfranfrjoel.jpgWhen people in the pews of a number of Manitowoc congregations and a religious community (Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity) unite to answer a real need, this is an earth-shaking alliance. Lakeshore Interfaith Hospitality Network of Manitowoc County (LIHN) was born when individuals discovered that there was no homeless shelter for families other than those who are victims of domestic violence.

LIHN began utilizing trained volunteers and space in congregations throughout the county to provide overnight accommodations, three meals per day, and hospitality to up to 14 guests in the program at one time.

This week the Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity are housing people in one of their guest houses on their Motherhouse property. Guests arrived on Sunday, February 7 and are scheduled to stay until Sunday, February 14 when they will move to another congregational site for lodging if services continue to be needed.

dayhouse.jpgDuring the day, guests reside at a Day Center located in the city of Manitowoc. From there, they are able to work, attend school and/or look for work, housing and other community resources which will help them get back on their feet.

Any comments?

8 thoughts on “Here’s an Earth-Shaking Alliance of Concerned People”

1. Marie Wilhelm says:

I’m very grateful we have this program here.

2. Marie Wilhelm says:

Kara did a great job referring these people to this program when they were in need of a place to stay. She knew exactly what to do.

3. Sister Sharon Paul says:

How blessed to know that we as a congregation are stepping up to the plate once again to fulfill a need to help others. That is truly the corporal & spiritual works of mercy lived in action. Thank you & God’s efforts be blessed in many ways. Thank you too for those helping in anyway to make this a reality!

4. Sister Rosangela says:

Thank you to all those who help in this most worthwhile program. How wonderful that we have a place for people to stay and are able to feed them. Our Community has been blessed in so many ways. We can pass those blessings on by helping people in need.

5. Kara Martin says:

I am so glad that this organization exists, because it is so much safer than traditional homeless shelters!

6. Mary Oliver in her poem, Messenger, seems to say that our ordinary, everyday kindnesses to others is the “stuff” of holiness. I share it with you as I rejoice in the work of my community in its kindness to others:

My work is loving the world.
    Here the sunflowers, there the
    hummingbird —
    equal seekers of sweetness.
    Here the quickening yeast; there
    the blue plums.
    Here the clam deep in the
    speckled sand.
    Are my boots old? Is my coat
    torn?
    Am I no longer young, and still
    not half-perfect? Let me
    keep my mind on what matters,
    which is my work,
    which is mostly standing still
    and learning to be
    astonished.
    The phoebe, the delphinium.
    The sheep in the pasture, and
    the pasture.
    Which is mostly rejoicing, since
    all ingredients are here,
    which is gratitude, to be given a
    mind and a heart
    and these body-clothes,
    a mouth with which to give
    shouts of joy
    to the moth and the wren, to the
    sleepy dug-up clam,
    telling them all, over and over,
    how it is
    that we live forever.

7. Sister Sharon Paul says:

Sr. Anne Marie, THANK YOU for sharing Mary Oliver’s poem. It’s keeping our EYES open, EARS tuned in, & HEART soft & pliable to notice, listen and drink in NATURE and respond to the “SURPRISES” the Lord has in store for us each day. May each of us be attentive to and RESPOND whether it be outwardly or inwardly!

8. Cindy says:

My name is Cindy,

and I came across a brochure of LIHN .I think this is awsome on how you pulled this together to help your community. Yes, your community is blessed in helping others. I would like to start something similar in Sheboygan. I need ideas on which direction to take to get this moving for people living in Sheboygan. How do I go about organizing this for a community? I have a lot of energy to help people but need direction and support. ( I can't do it alone)

My dream is to open a shelter someday that can hold families up to6 to 8 months who are homeless and working hard to recover from financially loss. I want the children to be able to stay in their own school and have a place to call home. I want to help these families establish themselves and get back on their feet, by education, job searches, and a sense of well being, and to know people are here to help them in their time of need.

I also want to address some of the mentally ill people out there that need a support system in helping them get to doctor appointments, counseling, medication needed and a support system.

I have been homeless myself and felt the pain, loss and a failure at one time in my life. I would not have made it if it wasn’t for my 2 childern that kept me going and Salvation Army for helping me in my time of need. I want to return the favor (gift) to people in need. I need a lot of other peoples help and support to get this going.

I need some good advice and direction.

Sincerely,