Discern ‘How I Long to Love You’ on Valentine’s Day

by Sister Julie Ann on February 14, 2010

Boarding a plane with final destination a convent for February 14? On a weekend traditionally focused on love, young women truly arrived at the Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity’s Motherhouse for a discernment retreat entitled: How I Long to Love You

Apart from a totally cool Valentine theme, Friday’s Opening Ceremonies for the 2010 Winter Olympics was a jumpstart for sharing introductions. Even simple refreshments and sharing carried this focus. A candlelit night prayer beginning with an awesomely vivid flame picturesquely moved souls to reflect on the passionate love of God.

A pilgrimage prayer on Saturday morning acquainted retreatants with the wisdom of St. Bonaventure’s The Tree of Life centering Jesus as the goal of all things. After a dramatic telling of St. Francis’ conversion experience with a leper, all reflected on readings from the Catechism of the Catholic Church on the Eucharist, a true gift of love from Christ. For those without Wisconsin winter experiences, there was time to get feet wet in new fallen snow.

img_7383.jpgSaturday evening music outreach’s destination was St. Peter the Fisherman, Two Rivers. Father William O’Brien and a full church of faithful welcomed the visiting troubadours as they shared their musical gifts. Franciscan Sisters serving in the parish arranged that the musicians and singers enjoy pizza before returning to the Motherhouse for other weekend retreat action.

Plan now to attend the May discernment retreat. Click here to register.

What does your heart long for on this day?

16 thoughts on “Discern ‘How I Long to Love You’ on Valentine’s Day”

1. Sister Sharon Paul says:

What a perfect time to have the Discernment Retreat at the time of Valentine Day where LOVE is the focus. The Divine Love of Christ uppermost in our lives as Father just said at Mass in his homily this A.M. “Like branches of a tree stretching out its branches to reach the nourishing streams of God’s Life and Love.” You are in prayer as you discern and continue to discern God’s call in life!

2. Sister Annette Kurey says:

Thank you for sharing your pictures of the retreat activities. Makes me want to be there too! As new snow gently falls here to freshen up our world, know that we are all keeping you in our prayers and thoughts this weekend. May the Lord working in and amoung you freshening up all spirits and wills. God’s blessings upon each of you.

3. Sister Natalie says:

It is always great to have visitors at the Motherhouse. How enriching and up-lifting the theme of the Retreat and the enthusiasm of the young women. A heart desire is to be rooted in Our Lord, to listen, and to carry out God’s plan.

4. Kara Martin says:

This is my first Valentine’s Day at the convent, and when we were singing the song during music outreach about God being our one desire, I was thinking that it was my Valentine’s Day song. My heart longs for the Lord, and this is more meaningful to me than the Valentine’s Days that I spent on dates.

5. Lindsey says:

The retreat was really just affirmation the entire time of the calling Christ has placed on my heart. It was really beautiful to be able to just ‘be’, while on retreat.

Being able to spend time with the postulants & novices was especially appreciated.

6. Sister Marie Bernadette says:

How touching to see these pictures and appreciative of the efforts of our Sisters as they work the Lord’s vineyard for those who want to enter at a later time than some of us. About the only thing you forgot was Valentine Day. We just enjoyed a turkey meal with our pastor,Father Danny. For dessert we had Chocolate Nutty Pie; yes, it went over very well. We all enjoyed its sweetness!

7. Sister Chiara says:

Lindsey and Rose I also enjoyed spending time with both of you! Know that you are in my thoughts and my prayers as you discern where the Lord is calling you! God bless you both! 🙂

8. Leslie says:

Wow it looks like you had a wonderful weekend. Blessings on all of you.

9. A wonderful Monday morning article to summarize a busy and love-filled weekend for all of you!

Sister Pam, a friend of hers and I brought a Valentine dinner to her mom’s house and shared it with her as she is no longer able to cook. It was an outpouring of love among 2 religious, a widow and a dedicated singe woman all celebrating a day of love, giving and sharing. The many facets of outpouring love always capture my attention.

10. Kara Martin says:

Lindsey and Rose, it has been a blast hanging out with both of you this weekend! Count on my prayers for you!

11. Marie Wilhelm says:

Rose and Lindsey,
    It was great to see you both this last weekend! Hope you all had a fun time and I will keep you in my prayers.
    Marie

12. rose Pearson says:

Thank you to all the postulants, novices and sisters who welcomed us into their home and their lives! It was awesome to be with you and get to know you! You are all amazing!! 🙂

13. Sister Rosangela says:

It is refreshing to see the love being shared by all those involved in the discerning Retreat. Can we ever doubt how much God loves us? He shows it in so many ways and in so many people. I too prayed this week-end for Lindsey, Rose and those conducting this Retreat. I will continue to pray for them and all the young women who are discerning a Religious vocation. We share a common bond of love for God.

14. Sister Pamela Catherine says:

Rose and Lindsey,

It was wonderful to visit with you both over the weekend! So glad to hear you both enjoyed your stay! God’s blessings on you both and know that you are in prayer!!

15. Izzy says:

What A wonderful theme. This last retreat must’ve been one of revelation and truth seeking, and Love embracment so defined. May the Lord bless you and those young women.

16. Thanks for adding to the conversation Izzy and for your prayer of blessing for these young women! May you too be blessed as you embrace His love for you!