Where the Whole Lake is ‘Our Rink’

by Sister Julie Ann on January 30, 2010

Imagine receiving an invitation to a Skating Party where the whole lake is the rink. You img_7312.jpgwould be picturing the backyard of the Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity Motherhouse. On Saturday, January 29, 2010 with music piped in the air through speakers housed in nearby ‘green hut’ (literally named for its evident exterior paint job), postulants, novices and Franciscan Sisters forged the frozen water enjoying a favorite Wisconsin winter sport.

img_7315.jpgBelieve it or not, Sister Myra Jean Sweigart, OSF was drawn to answering a call to the Franciscan Sisters  of Christian Charity after seeing seasonal pictures of the Motherhouse, because ice skating was one of her passions. Although not the ‘typical’ or only reason why a young woman may be attracted to be a Franciscan Sister, God does want our happiness and uses what we enjoy to help reveal His plan for a lifetime.

The skating party was complete with hot apple cider, s’mores, and of course, plenty of  Sisterly conversation between the ups and downs of life and trying to keep warm.

See Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity on Facebook for video clips.

Does any of this ‘rink’ true for you?

11 thoughts on “Where the Whole Lake is ‘Our Rink’”

1. Sister Sharon Paul says:

YES, am glad to see the Sisters use our beautiful Silver Lake once again for ice skating. It brings back many pleasant memories when while in training for Religious Life we skated. The workmen would go out and test the ice to see if it was safe and away we would go. I especially remember Srs. Florita and Jessica skating right along with us. “Ice and snow bless the Lord!” Wow, those s’mores sound good! ENJOY!

2. What a great time we had, the lake is like a mirror in places! I think the Sisters that came to cheer us on and enjoy the fire, the hot apple cider and s’mores had as much fun as those of us trying to be graceful ice skaters! Yey for winter!

3. Wonder what the fish thought of the music? Aside from a few other winter enthusiasts enjoying adventure skidding on wheels and serious shanty dwellers fishing, the whole lake was a skater’s paradise. Praise my Lord for Sister Water!

4. Sister Rosangela says:

It’s fun going to a skating party even if you can no longer skate. It was fun watching the Postulants, Novices and Sisters skate, roasting marshmallows for s’mores and enjoying the Community spirit. How very lucky we are for all of God’s gifts to us. May we continue to enjoy the simple things in life.

5. Though I don’t ice skate, I enjoyed the pictures and the happy memories of skating. I loved watching the video on U Tube where I could hear the laughing and the music. Laughter is contagious, so I began laughing as well. All activities that bring laughter, bless the Lord.

6. Sister Pat Sevcik says:

I have great memories of fun when my friends and I went skating on Silver Lake during high school and early formation! I promised the Postulants that when the temperature reached 30-35 degrees, I would join them on the ice. Maybe this weekend? The pictures tell the story! Marie and Kara said they had a lot of fun out there!Spills are part of the thrills. Thank you to the organizers of the party!

7. Sister Annette Kurey says:

What fun seeing you enjoy the ice skating on the lake. Brings back memories of times spent out there. We are blessed to live on Silver Lakes shore.
    Do two of you remember roller skating down bakery hall?!!!

8. Sister Sean Marie says:

A little more practice and the whole crew can head for the winter olympics! Loved the pictures and I know all had a wonderful afternoon of fun.

9. Marie Wilhelm says:

To bad the snow eventually covered up the ice-skating rink! i fell like iceskating some more.

10. Marie Wilhelm says:

To bad the snow eventually covered up the ice-skating rink! I feel like iceskating some more.

11. seo google says:

For years I kept a rink out in front of our house, investing a few hours each day in grooming and patching my several hundred square feet of hockey heaven. …