Ponder ‘O Come Emmanuel’ a Franciscan Sisters’ Advent Podcast

by Sister Julie Ann on December 1, 2009

In this month of liturgical seasons that anticipate and celebrate the birth of Jesus, rejoice and enjoy O Come Emmanuel, a podcast featuring the Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity’s rendition of the medieval img_7076.jpgCatholic hymn “O Come, O Come Emmanuel” (Veni Emmanuel) with its beautiful, haunting melody and collection of titles ascribed to the Savior from Scripture. Reflect on stunning Incarnational stained glass windows found in one of the Franciscan Sisters’ Motherhouse chapels and other Northeastern Wisconsin churches. Made from the most ordinary materials, this stained glass is sand transformed by fire into a jeweled beauty that stirs souls and moves them closer to God.

Sisters Caritas Strodthoff,OSF (xylophone and vocals), Sister Chiara LaValley, OSF (flute), Sister Myra Jean Sweigart, OSF (vocals) and Sister Winifred Crevier, OSF (organ) blend their musical gifts to perform this traditional hymn translated into English by John Mason Neale (1818-1866).

The stained glass windows highlighted in this podcast are from these places of Catholic worship:

How does this podcast move your heart?

79 thoughts on “Ponder ‘O Come Emmanuel’ a Franciscan Sisters’ Advent Podcast”

1. John says:

I think about Jesus’ coming into the world, being born in a very humble place. Who would have thought that the savior of all would be born in a stable.

2. Cody and John, thanks your thoughtfulness in taking some important Advent time to comment. May the Lord bless you as you make more immediate preparations for Christmas.

3. Skyler says:

Life is full of music and in my life I need to remember to find God in music.

God makes his largest impact through music because music is my true love in life. I am a musician and I find God in music.

4. Steve says:

I think of how much love God has for us. How lucky I am to have God in my life. From every sunrise to every sunset.

5. Sr. Delores Wisnicky says:

Advent is a holy time and you have captured something very sacred here. The paintings give another dimension and take us to the place of birth. I witnessed a spectacular sunrise this morning and this podcast reminded me of it… Well done, all who were involved in it creating this podcast…

6. Julie says:

It made me think of singing and rejoicing in church. It made me happy because I like to speak to the Lord with music.

7. Logan says:

I think of Jesus coming.

8. Trent says:

When I hear nice music, it makes me happy and thankful.

9. Kayla says:

It made me think about how grateful I am to have God in my life.

10. Zach says:

Music plants a seed in the heart. Music allows life to grow within the listener. It enriches the life of everyone.

11. Thanks Julie, Logan, Kayla, and Zach for taking time to share your thoughts with all of us! You all mention the beauty and happiness of music which is one of the reasons for this blog, to share about God’s goodness and beauty in the world!

Thanks too Sister Delores, Steve, and Skyler, the daily sunrise and sunset are also part of God’s symphony in our lives!

12. I’m a little late, but finally I got the Advent podcast. I’m glad I did not miss it. It will remain a precious part of my memory bank for the beauty and sacredness of Advent

13. Erica says:

The thoughts that come into my head when I hear this song is peace. Jesus in the manger and all the different people who have traveled many miles to see him.

14. Terry says:

rejoice in the Lord–it gives me a moment of prayer

15. Sara says:

This song reminds us that the Lord, our Emmanuel, is coming and has saved us all. It is truly a time to rejoice.

16. Morgan says:

Music is another way to communicate with God.

17. Taylor says:

God uses music as another way to be with each other and to talk.

18. Rachel says:

Christmas, Jesus being born

19. Amanda says:

God uses music to allow us to see his stories in another way, which we can better understand.

20. Maxwell says:

It reminds me that whenever I am having trouble in life, God will come to me. He is always there.

21. Cory says:

God uses catchy tunes so we can remember the words.

22. Emily says:

It is joyful, yet solemn. It expresses the happiness of Jesus’ birth and sadness of His eventual sacrifice.

23. Such meaningful comments! Thanks for reflecting on this Franciscan Sisters’ podcast. Peace and all good.

24. Cathy says:

The waiting time of Advent-the waiting for Jesus. Music awakens my soul!!

25. The Lord is near… especially after reading all these great comments! God is with us and the goodness you have shared confirms His presence in our lives

26. Monica says:

I saw God’s passion through this song.

27. grazel says:

Silent prayer. Jesus’ birth. The Holy Emmanuel.

28. bear says:

I think about how everyone in the world can relate to music because there is no specific language to music. So God can touch all of us though music.

29. Kayla says:

I think God used music because who doesn’t like music? It’s a good way to teach.