Fill Up With Snow

by Sister Julie Ann on December 29, 2009

no images were found

Robert Frost’s poem Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening is delightfully suited for a Franciscanized World winter reflection:

09-009.JPGWhose woods these are I think I know
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow…

The only other sound’s the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

09-028.JPGThe woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
And miles to go before I sleep.

Do you have any snowy tales of yester-year or today? These  ‘snow’ photos drifted in from the Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity serving in West Point, NE after the last praire wind blizzard. Join them in praising God for Sister Snow!

12 thoughts on “Fill Up With Snow”

1. Sister Sharon Paul says:

YES, WELCOME to God’s majestic, Winter Wonderland from St. Mary’s, West Point, Nebraska to your abode. How is it where you are?
    “All you winds, bless the Lord!” “Snow and ice bless the Lord!” Isn’t the Lord’s masterpiece of nature magnificent?
    The snow brought many opportunities for the residents at St. Joe’s Retirement Com. to pause and to reminisce on many stories. One said they haven’t seen snow like this since 1968 & 1949. The staff had many opportunities to work together and help out in various departments.
    Of course there is the flipside to every coin–many hardships. Some staff stayed several nites at the facilities. Few made it to Christmas Eve or Christmas Day Religious Services. Family parties and gatherings cancelled. Roads closed, low visibility, blocked intersections, ice etc.
    The snow removal crews are doing a wonderful job and everyone is slowly being “DUG OUT.” In the midst of all this one ponders: IN THE MIDST OF IT ALL, THE LORD, THE BABE IN BETHLEHEM, IN THE SILENCE OF THE NIGHT WAS BORN.

2. Sister Annette Kurey says:

Oh, We had a totally white Christmas here in West Point, NE. this year. The storm had begun on Wed.Dec. 23rd. Hour after hour the snow and wind blew and the drifts grew bigger. Not too many people got out to Christmas mass this year. In the country especially, the roads were really bad. At noon on the 26th the blizzard subsided. We had really enjoy the Lord’s birthday and each other snug and warm inside, but once the storm was over we were eager to go out and explore what God had given us. Many about the same time begin the clean up process. We did a little of our own scooping too. (Here in West Point they “scoop” snow. I grew up shoveling it!) Plows, maintainers, tractors, anything that can move snow, have been hard at it ever since.
    Not everyone enjoys snow, but for me it brings back many fond memories of my childhood, of family life and of simple entertainment. Yes, “Ice and snow bless the Lord!” It was a wonderful Christmas for us here at St. Marys.

3. Sister Joellen Kohlmann says:

Alas, our snow is compacting as we speak…our drifts are getting small every day but we still anticipate some of them remaining until our first “spring thaw!.”

After serving ten years in the Arizona deserts, I still welcome this beautiful white stuff and treasure the special effect it gives to our Christmas celebration. Though we found ourselves entrenched in our convent for a few days, we also found those days rewarding in the forced enclosure and presence to one another.

May each of you find Christ’s special presence in your lives and hearts as you celebrate the coming on 2010. God Bless.

4. It is good to read your comments from West Point. We had pouring rain on Christmas Eve in Oshkosh. I had to use an umbrella to get in and out of church!

May 2010 be a year of blessing for you and, again, it is good to read your comments.

5. Sister Sharon Paul says:

Sr. Anne Marie, I enjoy your contributions to the websites also. Thank YOU and do have a blessed 2010 filled with the Lord’s graces & surprises as you ministers to others in His name!

6. A sun and snow combination is wonderfully warm to the eyes and spirit. Although there is something about the enclosure that snow can create, best is the opportunity to chisel out new adventures at a temperature and lighting that invigorates a sense of greater well-being.

7. Sister Annette Kurey says:

Snow and wind have found us again! Another blizzard, not as bad as the Christmas day one as far as the snow goes. But this one also, has us sticking pretty close to home. This time it is the below zero temperatures that are life threatening. Todays high is -4, tonight it is expected to reach -22. That is not the wind chill temperature. All highways in and out of West Point were closed to traffic yesterday with drifts up to 1/4th mile long and 6ft. deep. Road crews were taken off the roads because of the temps and wind. Most businesses in town were closed early. Today it is clear and crisp out, but nicer to be inside. Slowly life will return to West Point leaving behind a winter to remember. Oh, what the pioneers must have survived!

8. Sister Annette, I admire those pioneers of every age. How do they endure such difficulties? Stay warm and know I look forward to hearing more about West Point.

9. Hello Sisters. I like your pictures next to the large drifts snow! The pictures peaked my interest so much I just had to comment. I wish you all a safe and blessed 2010.

10. Sister Sharon Paul says:

YES, a heat wave. It was 27 degrees in West Point around 5:30 P.M. on Sunday, the Feast of the Baptism of Our Lord. A couple of us went to the movie: Blindside at our West Point Theater. YES, we do have a theater. It was the original Auditorium and our Community Theater Group has plays there and when the new Don Nielsen Community Center was built this theater group were bound and determined they wanted to preserve this building so they decided to start having movies for all ages. It is run by volunteers. I volunteer twice a month because I think it’s great that families can stay here and help our own town on the economic downslide and give them another avenue of entertainment close to their home especially in inclement weather. Have a blessed work week!

11. Cindy Hansen says:

Sister Annette your description of your weather is quite vivid and I could feel it just reading your words. I hope and pray life is being kind to you. Think Spring!

12. Hi Sister Joellen,

Happy to see that someone gets joy out of snow and ice. Micah, my son, did also. He proudly cleared he walk with the snowblower he traded for an xbox he refurbished. The Lord provides.