Called to Be Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity Postulants

by Sister Julie Ann on December 8, 2009

On December 8, 2009 as a powerful, cold wind whirled snow flurries outside, the Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity warmly welcomed Marie Wilhelm and Kara Martin as postulants at a 7:15 p.m. evening celebration.

Sister Louise Hembrecht, OSF, Community Director, greeted Marie and Kara with these words:

img_7138.jpgThe Virgin Mary, humble servant of the Lord, was open to His every word and call. She was embraced by Francis with indescribable love and declared the protectress and advocate of his family.

We, in the name of the Church, are full of joy and happiness that you are personally aware of a calling from God. As the Spirit of Jesus speaks to you in the unfolding of your life, He says, “Come, live my life and accomplish the mission of the Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity.

So we invite you, Marie and Kara, to express your ardent love for Jesus by imitating Mary’s complete self-giving.

Marie and Kara received the insignia of St. Francis, a tau cross with the hand of Jesus covering that of Francis, to remind them of their call to follow Jesus. Sister Patricia Sevcik, OSF, Postulant Directress, is responsible for guiding the postulants in their preparations for the Novitiate

Any comments?

16 thoughts on “Called to Be Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity Postulants”

1. Congratulations, Marie and Kara. You are a blessing to us as you discern your call. You are a reminder to me of my call, my journey and my fidelity. I wish you Franciscan joy, peace and all good things as you journey with us.

2. It is a joy to share this journey of Francisan life with you both, Marie and Kara! Your faith, openness, laughter, and desire to grow closer to Jesus with us is a wonderful gift! My prayers are with and for each of you!

3. Sister Natalie says:

Congratulations, Marie and Kara!
    The Insignia Celebration was a good reminder of the journey we all started at one time. May you know the many blessings God has ready for you. You are assured of prayers as you continue along the path God is calling you to follow.

4. Sister Rosangela says:

I was happy to be present at this simple but meaningful ceremony. May you continue to be joyful, Marie and Kara, as you ponder, as Mary did, what God has in store for you. I keep you in prayer as you continue your journey.

5. sister Patricia Sevcik says:

Marie and Kara, it is a privelege to have shared in your celebration on the evening of December 8th and the reception of the Insignia. It is a joy to walk with you, mentor you and see you continue to grow in your love for Jesus. May Mary, our Mother and guide, continue to hold a special place in your heart and in your life. She asks her Son to pour out His grace and favor on you. God bless you!

6. Sister Marie Bernadette says:

Marie and Kara, you have a marvelous gift to give the Infant Jesus, that of your very life. You will never be sorry for this step. May you have much happiness.

7. Sister Annette Kurey says:

God be with you, Marie and Kara as you formally enter the Postlancy. May you grow in your love for the Lord in the spirit of St. Francis and continue to be open to His graces. What a gift this calling is! You are kept in my prayers.

8. Sister Sharon Paul says:

Kara and Marie, May the Lord and His Blessed Lady, Mary, shower you with many graces and blessings as you begin your formal journey as a Postulant. How blessed we as a Community of Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity to have you follow in His footsteps as you continue to journey with us as we discern His call day after day down to the seconds. You continue to be in our prayers here at West Point, NE. Enjoy your MISSION experiences! Continue to have a meaningful ADVENT and a glorious CHRISTMAS filled with the graces from our New Born King!

9. Maggie McConnaha says:

Congratulations, Kara and Marie, and merry Christmasto you both. I can’t wait to see you both next summer at Camp Franciscan!

10. Maggie, know more than Kara and Marie will be happy to welcome you back for Camp Franciscan.

Kara and Marie, as you follow your heart, trust you are loved by a God of abundance who guides your every step. We, your Franciscan Sisters, are happy to walk with you.

11. I just spent the day pondering “The Humility of God” in our Franciscan tradition with our two postulants, two novices and several professed sisters. It was a joy to see all the faces as, together, we reflected, shared and discussed. We came to greater understandings of God bending low to become a vulnerable infant. We realized that, during Advent, God waits for us more than we wait for God. I learned so much as I presented and listened. Thanks to all who participated.

12. Sr. Delores Wisnicky says:

Congratulations—Marie and Kara! We wanted to come and planned on it and then the weather turned on us. We are praying for you. We were with you in spirit…
    God leads you each day and He is faithful…

13. Sister June says:

Congratulations Kara & Maria on receiving the Franciscan Insignia as you continue your journey as Postulants. I am proud to be a team member sharing meals and recreations with you.
    God bless you – Sister June

14. What a blessing you are to us, Marie and Kara!
    Congratulations on your formal reception into the Postulancy! Your ceremony brought back wonderful memories for me and, I’m sure for many of the Sisters. It is really an inspiring prayer service. May God continue to bless you with all that you need to serve Him!

15. Kara says:

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and prayers. It means a lot to both Marie and I as we continue our journey. 🙂