Twelve Reasons Why FSCC Discernment Retreat was Life-Changing

by Sister Julie Ann on November 15, 2009

img_6901.jpgThe Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity hosted a discernment retreat (an opportunity for young women to gather together to seriously contemplate religious life as an option in their lives) November 13-15, 2009 at their Motherhouse in Manitowoc, WI. Twelve retreatants, ages 19-36, filled out an on-line website registration form after hearing about the weekend through a conversation with one of the Franciscan Sisters, a recommendation from a priest or friend, facebook or by following a link about the retreat to the Sisters website.

Here are more than twelve reasons why the retreat was life-changing:

• twelve young women who shared themselves (with varied experiences as students, teachers, cartographer, restaurant managers, catechists, youth ministry volunteer, peace and justice leaders, etc.)
  • opportunity for ‘real’ face to face friends from IA, MN, LA, Washington D.C. and WI
  • personal interaction with four young women who are in the process of becoming Sisters as Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity who are themselves ages 22-31
  • sessions on St. Francis and St. Clare focused on  the theme of Gospel Living
  • time for private and communal prayer (Morning and Evening prayer, sacraments of Eucharist and Reconciliation)
  • music outreach at the Saturday evening Eucharistic Liturgy at Sacred Heart Parish, Appleton, WI with other retreatants and Franciscan Sisters (home parish of novice, Sister Chiara LaValley, OSF)
  • good conversation
  • safe possibilities for reflective hiking on Motherhouse grounds and trails in nearby woods
  • sit down meals together

Any other thoughts?

17 thoughts on “Twelve Reasons Why FSCC Discernment Retreat was Life-Changing”

1. I was waiting, via our webpage, to see the article on the discernment retreat… and here it is! Thank you for allowing all of us, regardless of our geographical location, to share in this marvelous opportunity of discernment and to experience the faces of our prayer intentions. I prayed for each of you and all of you and am happy to read about your weekend.

2. Joanna says:

I feel more peaceful now. I still don’t know what the future holds for me, but I’m not all that worried anymore. God’s will be done in His own time.

3. Mandy says:

It really helped me in my journey to find out what God’s will is for me. The reflection time with Jesus helped me to quiet my mind to listen to him. Also, being here with other women trying to do God’s will is just awesome!

4. A.R. says:

I learned the dedication of Sts. Francis and Clare and Jesus’ tender love for children; maybe he took away my healthy voice so I could sit and listen for once.

5. Julie says:

-gave me time in a new space with w/new surroundings
    -gave me time to meet wonderful new people and be inspired by them
    -gave me food for thought for my road ahead
    -reminded me God loves me where I am and to keep trusting

6. Lindsey says:

Coming into this retreat, Christ placed on my heart months ago, religious life and a desire to give myself solely to Him and the Church. This retreat really overwhelmed my heart, in that, I genuinely feel like this is where Christ is calling me to give my life to Him…how can I say no to that?

7. Crystal says:

It has helped me to understand what it means to be open, most especially how to be open to and rest in the love of God even in the midst of inner turmoil.

8. Amber says:

Learning more about the life of a sister & what it means to live in community. Helped me to better understand how to discern my vocaton, gave me more specific questions to contemplate, i.e. In what ways & how am I called to love?

9. K says:

it showed me that there are more options for me to consider than either married life or religious life

10. Sister Mary Bodwin says:

Thanks Sisters, for a wonderful service.I’m sure the young women will not forget this experience.They all seemed so friendly and at home with us.
    God bless you and keep up the good work of spreading the Good News.
    Peace!
    Sister Mary Bodwin

11. Sister Rosangela Weiland says:

Knowing how quickly Sister Julie Ann works I thought the Retreat would be on the Website today. As I looked at the pictures and read the comments of the young women who took part, I thought of the First Pentecost because the Holy Spirit was certainly in your midst. May the Spirit continue to be with you as you discern God’s will in your life. You are in our prayers.
    Sister Rosangela

12. Sister Adrianna says:

What a hopeful weekend for us. Knowing that young women are discerning a religious vocation and given the opportunity to take time for this discernment is great. It was good to have them share our space and life for a short time. God bless all those who made it possible.

13. Weekends like this are up there with the top 12 reasons of the blessings of being a vocation directress!
    Praise be you my Lord for young women filled with joy and desiring to discover more about Your love for them!

14. Sister Sharon Paul says:

Thank you VOCATION TEAM for a job well done with the direction & inspiration of the Holy Spirit. Also THANK YOU for the particpants who made the Discernment Retreat. May the Lord bless each of YOU and help you live each day and LIVE INTO WHAT the Lord is calling you each to do for the building up of His kingdom. A prayer for each of YOU! This is greetings from Nebraska country!

15. Our interactions with the young women we met on the retreat continue. Even a youth conference in Kansas City connected us to the retreatants and good people that they know and love. God’s goodness continues to overflow.

16. I hear in these comments the great Franciscan theme, “God’s goodness continues to overflow”. As Thanksgiving approaches, this theme has come more alive for me. Everyone and everything is a gift flowing out of God’s goodness. Every young woman who attended the retreat is a gift to us for a moment, for a time, maybe for a lifetime. One thing we can say with confidence, “God’s abundant love overflows”!

17. Don’t forget the February 12-14 Discernment Retreat. All you need to do is fill out the on-line registration.

You will not be alone. There are others who have already registered! Peace and all good.