What UW Whitewater Students Make a Priority

by Sister Julie Ann on October 14, 2009

no images were found

Ever wonder just what university students hold important? Here’s what the Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity Sister Mary Ann Spanjers,OSF,  and Sister Julie Ann Sheahan, OSF,  eye-witnessed as they facilitated a Busy Persons Retreat at the University of Wisconsin Whitewater’s campus October 11-14, 2009:

• a sizeable community of students gathered at 7:30 a.m. for a half-hour prayer and faith sharing. Some grabbed coffee before or after the session. Others went caffeine free. All enjoyed not only feeding their souls, but standing around to enjoy a continental breakfast (including cold pizza) before taking off to class, returning to studies or jobs.
  • another group of students paused at mid-day to focus on God and take part in deeper conversations on the spiritual life while getting bodily fortified for the afternoon.
  • yet another band of scholars gathered after an evening meal for all retreatants to also gain knowledge of God and the beauty of the Catholic sacramental life.
  • a still later retreat night sharing drew a repeat crowd of students from all three sessions.

img_67751.jpgSpecial thanks to Brian Zanin, Catholic Campus Minister at UWW, who organized the details of the days, Father John Puodziunas,OFM, Franciscan Friar of the Assumption Province, who assisted with the Sunday Eucharist and Monday night Sacrament of Reconciliation, as well as Father Michael Ignaszak, pastor of the Archdiocese of Milwaukee’s Tri-Parishes of Sts. Alexander,Helen and John Kanty in Milwaukee and the Cistercian Nuns of Our Lady of the Valley Monastery, Prairie du Sac WI, for their virtual contributions.

Any comments?

10 thoughts on “What UW Whitewater Students Make a Priority”

1. Katy says:

I now feel I have been called to not only live a life of faith, but also sharing it with others, especially through my actions.

2. me says:

The retreat allowed me to get away from everything and all my worries and let me spend time with God as a time of the day when I’d usually be rushing around. It was a welcome break.

3. Alissa says:

I am at the point where my future is all ahead of me so, I, too, am looking to find my place and purpose.

4. To have the blessing of walking with university students on a silent peace walk, of celebrating the Eucharist together, of spending time in prayer, and sharing about what is important in our lives gives me a lot of hope for the Church! The students at U.W. Whitewater are great!

5. I really treasure the time Sister Mary Ann and I are able to be present at UWW. The goodness of God is here.

6. I was hope filled and inspired as I read the accounts of your retreat, sharing and liturgical celebrations. May all you experienced motivate you to share Christ’s love and healing power with others. God’s blessing on the Whitewater students!

7. Katie says:

I really treasure the fact that we had got to spend time with Sister Mary Ann and Sister Julie Ann; our Busy Student’s Retreat always holds a special place in my heart. Senior year can be really stressful, and this retreat reminded me to always have hope, and to rejoice in God’s blessings everyday.
    “God teaches us hope. Not just hope as in a distant, vague dream, but TRIUMPHANT hope, the kind of hope where all things end right. In the midst of the struggles and the storms and the sufferings of life, we can advance our thoughts beyond today and see relief, triumph, and victory. Because in the end, God does indeed win.”
    Thank you!

8. Katie, thanks for being our official ‘pencil person’. Know we are ever blessed to see the openness of the Spirit and the workings of God’s grace among you. This is Gospel living at its core. I am confident that your future is bright for its imprint is built on your life today. Peace and all good.

We missed Brian in Chicago, but we found his note at our booth in the exhibit hall. Know we pray for all of your efforts in Habitat and in your education experiences with the children.

9. Sister Rosangela Weiland says:

This “Busy Students Retreat” sounds like you all had a wonderful experience. I read one time, “If you are too busy for God, you are too busy.” You took time out of your busyness to make room for this Faith experience. I’m glad Sister Julie Ann and Sister Mary Ann could guide you in this. May your Faith continue to grow and may you always make time for God in your life. God bless you. Our future is in good hands.

10. Sister Mary Bodwin says:

Dear Sisters Julie Ann and Mary Ann,
    Keep up your good work. We all appreciate all you do to get the Gospel message to our young people.
    God continue to bless you and your work.
    Sister Mary Bodwin