by Sister Julie Ann on September 1, 2009

Filmed on location at southside Santa Cruz sanxaviermission2.jpgParish and an over 200 year old San Xavier Mission in Tucson, AZ, this podcast series tells the story of the Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity service among the people of God in two Catholic communities of faith. Come immerse yourself in the lives of Sister Carla Riach, OSF, Sister Delores Vogt, OSF, Sister Ellen Pachmayer, OSF, Sister Leonette Kochan, OSF, Sister Maria Goretti Scandaliato, OSF, and Sister Mary Gabriel Van Dreel, OSF.

Realize the Franciscan Sisters’ collaboration with Bishop Gerald Kicanas of  the Diocese of Tucson, Franciscan Friars of the Santa Barbara Province, Christian Brothers serving at San Miguel High School, Principal Mrs. Shirley Kalinowski and other faculty and staff members of two Roman Catholic Diocese of cross2.jpgTucson elementary schools, young people enrolled in Notre Dame University’s Alliance for Catholic Education Program, and of course the families and leaders of these two parish communities including the broader Tohono O’odham Reservation. This is a story waiting to be told.

View all four podcasts on youtube. Recent video activity will be exchanged and highlighted throughout this month. And the Sisters have promised to share their daily lives as it happens.

Any thoughts you would like to share?

34 thoughts on “Watch How the Franciscan Sisters Serve at Santa Cruz Parish and San Xavier Mission, Tucson, AZ”

1. Sister Mary Ann Nugent says:

Bravo, Sister Leonette and all who are serving God’s children at Santa Cruz! You have clearly demonstrated that Catholic Education is making a powerful difference in today’s world. God’s continued blessings on your work!

2. My heart is with all of you at Santa Cruz as you reach out to God’s children and to their families! The evidence of Jesus’s presence within you and your school/parish community comes from your strong faith, joyful service, and willingness to become part of the joys and sorrows of the people you serve! My prayers continue to be with you all!

3. Sister Carla Riach says:

Greetings from Tucson,
    I’m part of the Franciscan Community here serving in Santa Cruz and San Xavier Parishes. I myself serve at San Xavier, but we all live together. Each sister works very hard and comes home tired at the end of the day. Our time together sharing prayer, a meal and relaxation revs us up for the new day. On Sundays and any other holidays we enjoy a good game of cards. This past weekend was extraordinary! Our sisters in Bapchule were given tickets to the Cardinal/Packer Game in Phoenix. We all went together and had a super time cheering. For myself it was my first live game and it was like entering a whole different world of sights and sounds. God is Good! You never know what surprises he throws our way. I’m so grateful to be apart of the Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity.

4. Sister Marie Bernadette says:

We are so blessed to be Franciscan Sisters who work so well with those underprivileged in our society. Proudly we stand together as having been a part of this growth. Love just pours out of these Sisters’ mouths. May you continue with the strength of God,Francis and Clare.

5. Sister Annette Kurey says:

God bless you Sisters as you work in Santa Cruz School and Parish. My heart is warmed seeing you ministering in Tucson. I think one of our Communities great blessings is working with the peoples of the Southwest. So many of our lives have been forever enriched having been touched by the faith and life of these people. Thank you.

6. Sister Rosangela Weiland says:

How proud I am of the Sisters who are so dedicated in their service to the people and especially the children at Santa Cruz. They are truly showing the love of Christ to them. St. Francis mirrored his love of Christ to people and these Sisters are following in his footsteps. May God continue to bless them and the people they serve.

7. Sister Ellen says:

Thank you for all your kind words and prayers. Doing the video was a bit stressful, but the end product turned out so beatiful. This is just the beginning. Next week make sure and enjoy San Xavier Mission and school as well. Mark did a fantastic job of capturing well the ministries of Southwestern Sisters and the spirit of the people we work with and minister to. God bless all of you, Sister Ellen

8. Sister Ellen, watching this particular video it appeared like you enjoy living and serving among the Santa Cruz Parish community (how many others can boast about playing with puppets in their adult jobs?!)

I agree with you about the superb quality of story telling that Mark Kolter, Kolter Creative, is able to piece together using only the spoken word of Sisters and others. Not only did Mark create a credible context from personal interviews, but also the editing of footage truly captured the beauty and respect for all of creation which is so Franciscan!

9. Sister Adrianna says:

Having visited Santa Cruz in person,I can whole heartedly agree with the presentation. Dedicated Sisters and lay teachers, students with many needs but eager to learn. The unselfish way they give and relate to others is an inspiration to all.
    God bless you and your service to His people.

10. Sr. Helena Young says:

Thank you for sharing your life as a Franciscan Sister of Christian Charity serving in the Southwest. I was privileged to visit last November and saw first hand what the video shows. The students and faculty are truly blessed to have you serve them. May the Lord Bless You in all you do each day!

11. Sister Natalie says:

Thank you to all who are responsible for putting this video presention together. Valued aspects of what I hold in fond memory in my three years at Santa Cruz School were expressed. How wonderful to see the faces of students I taught and teachers I taught with! What a privilege to have been a part of the Santa Cruz Faith Community and the Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity! God blesses us in so many ways.

12. S Pat Sevcik says:

To all who serve in Arizona, thank you for all that you so joyfully share with the people of God! It was good to watch the U-tube stories of Santa Cruz and the other missions where we serve. What a great job you do! It is evident in the stories here. Sister Carla and Sister Ellen, I especially greet you, my classmates. I have good memories of my time in Tucson and Topowa. I will always treasure those experiences. God bless each of you as you continue to bring the Gospel to all.

13. Sister Laura Wolf says:

Sisters all,
    What a wonderful testament to your love and service at Santa Cruz Parish. I could see the simplicity, joy, dedication and love of the Church so important to all. Thanks for being such powerful witness to the love of God!

14. Having visited and helped a bit at both San Xavier and Santa Cruz two years ago, I was swept back to the memories of how devoted the sisters are, how loving and grateful the students and parents are and how much the sisters love and care for one another. The variety of personalities and ministries is rich and held in deep respect.
    Thank you to all who helped capture this ministry of the Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity.

15. Sister June says:

God’s blessing on all the Sisters at Santa Cruz and San Xavier. You are truly an example of sharing your time and talent with the people of Tucson. You are in my thoughts and prayers as you continue God’s work.

16. Nhut HO says:

I go to Yuma Catholic High School. And Sister Jan is a teacher of my World Religion class sometimes tell me about Santa Cruz. God’s blessing all sister in Santa Cruz as they continue God’s work. God Blessed

17. Patrick McShane says:

I think what the sisters are doing there is great. The way that the students help pay for their high school tuition is a revolutionary and fantastic idea! I go to Yuma Catholic High School and I know that there are a number of kids that would be more than willing to do something like that here. It would open up so many doors for students that want to go to our school but can’t because of the high price to attend. Keep up the good work!

18. Part Two of this Santa Cruz account completes the story. High school and beyond is the goal. Thanks for the comments.

19. Patrick, you are very insightful! Thanks so much for taking the time to watch this podcast and add such a worthwhile comment! Blessings on you and all whose lives you touch!

20. Chris says:

Hello, although I live in Arizona I was never aware of this mission or the service it gives to those in need.

It’s a beautiful place, and I hope you continue your service for years to come.

21. I’m glad that you enjoyed the podcast of our Sisters in Tucson Chris! It is neat to be able to share with others some of the many places where our Sisters serve! Thanks so much for commenting!

22. This is all so neat!!!! Thanks for sharing. Sr. Maureen and I are so excited for all of you out West!!!! Because of our ministry here in Chicago we really know the time, effort, and prayer it takes. Sr. Sara

23. Eric says:

good job to all of the sisters that have continued their work to help the children of the san Xavier mission on their excellent learning and service. thank you!

24. Taylor says:

I was never aware of this mission or the service it gives to those in need. What you guys are doing is amazing! I am sure everyone here at Yuma Catholic Appreciates it. Keep it up..God Bless

25. Sister Jan Villemure says:

Thank you Franciscan Sisters, Christian Brothers and Franciscan priests and brothers, our Diocese is proud of your work at Santa Cruz, San Xavier, and San Miguel. I have visited all your schools several times and am deeply impressed at the commitment and love that goes into your work. You work in poor schools, and don’t have all the conveniences of the city schools like our Yuma Catholic High School. Yet you achieve high levels of academic and religious education of the students. It takes more effort on your part, to find the money to carry on. God bless you for the sacrifices you make to carry on as missionaries in the southwest.

26. Kyle says:

It is so amazing how something so old and beautiful is kept new throughout the year of wear from the elements. Keep the faith sisters and keep up the good work!

27. Audrey Jean Loher OSF says:

Your ministry with the Tohono O’Odham people at San Javier is the mission of Jesus. Thank you for your dedication and for sharing your life with us. Many blessings.

28. The posting of the San Xavier ministries was inspiring and heartwarming. The look on the faces of the children as they learn, as they pray and as they play tells a story of trust, and gives hope to anyone desiring to serve God as a woman religious. The conviction and the holiness of the sisters shine through their ordinary lives. Thank you!

29. This time in history calls for a real need to work together for the good of more people. The collaborative efforts of everyone in these two parish settings is a sign of hope in our world.

30. our loving friend Sr Jackie Koenig is smiling from heaven on each & every one & saying peace- keep up the good work AMDG

31. Sister Carla Riach says:

Hello from Tucson! We are all very much into the new school year. Our after school religion classes begin next week. Although we’ve been doing registrations for a month now, they are still coming in and we expect more. The classes are getting larger each year. Besides the Tohono O’odham here at San Xavier we serve children living on the edges of the reservation. In recent years there has been alot of new housing developments in the area.
    We are eager to welcome the children and share our faith with them. On Sunday, Catechetical Suinday our school staff and Catechists will be commissioned and blessed. To all involved in sharing their faith in Jesus, I wish you an outpouring of the Holy Spirit.

32. Sister Sue Ann Hall says:

What a beautiful and inspiring video. A true witness of what God’s call in each of our lives as Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity. Because we are in Community we can be so much more and do so much more. Sisters, keep up the good work and dedication. You are an inspiration.

33. Sister Carla Riach says:

hello,
    I wish you all Happy St. Francis Day on October 4th. I am very fortunate to be here at San Xavier as the villagers celbrate this wonderful Saint for two days. The celebration includes processions with firewroks, musicians and traditional singing and dancing in the evenings. During the day there is a feast for all who come, more traditional singing and dancing, praying of the rosary and the Liturgy.
    There are Chicken Scratch dances both evenings from 8 PM-1 AM.

The thing that always inspires me is the endless line of people coming to visit the statue of St. Francis in the Church. It seems like all of Tucson comes to the Mission to pray to our special Saint. How Blessed are we to be Franciscan!

34. Sister Ann Joachim says:

Thank You for sharing a bit of your life and work at Santa Cruz and San Xavier with us. You bring Christ into the lives of many people who otherwise would not know God. You are an inspiration for all of us. May your sacrifice be blessed with many successes and rewards.