Franciscan Sisters Begin Ministry at St. Thomas the Apostle Parish, Newton WI

by Sister Julie Ann on September 20, 2009

no images were found

Today  at the 10:00 a.m. Bilingual Mass is the celebration of the commissioning ceremony for me as your Parish Director. Father Paul DeMuth, representing Bishop Ricken, will ask for my consent to serve the Catholic Community of St. Thomas the Apostle faithfully as a follower of Jesus, and in obedience to our Bishop. It is a formality,  yes,  but NOT one that I take lightly. I truly believe that God has guided me to your faith community here in Newton, and humbly pray that I always  respond to your needs as best I am able, being grateful for all to which God has invited me. Read more…

img_6509_edited-1.jpgIn her own words on the parish’s internet site, Sister Marlita Henseler, OSF,  wrote about the significance of this September 20, 2009 special Sunday commissioning appointing her the Parish Director of the Diocese of Green Bay‘s  Catholic Community of St. Thomas the Apostle, Newton, WI. Indeed, ‘St. Thomas the Apostle Convent’ is also added to the roster of Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity homes for Sister Maryl Gardner, OSF, is a Sisterly support and companion reaching out where her gifts are best served in the parish community.

img_6515.jpgSt. Thomas the Apostle Parish has a proud heritage. Here is a short history of  the people and places that are part of this vibrant Manitowoc County Catholic community of faith:

• St. Fidelis, Osman, founded in 1875 (organized 10 years earlier) and closed May 13, 1960.
  • St. George, Centerville/Cleveland, founded 1861 and closed March 22, 1953.
  • St. Isidore, Osman, founded in 1851 and closed January 14, 2001; merged July 1, 2001 into St. Thomas the Apostle Parish.
  • St. Casimir, Northeim, founded 1868 and merged July 1, 2001, into St. Thomas the Apostle Parish.
  • St. Wendel, Cleveland, founded 1855, merged July 1, 2001, into St. Thomas the Apostle Parish; closed June 30, 2002.
  • St. Joseph, Alverno, founded 1872, merged July 1, 2001, into St. Thomas the Apostle Parish.

Share some experiences of change and growth happening in your parish.

13 thoughts on “Franciscan Sisters Begin Ministry at St. Thomas the Apostle Parish, Newton WI”

1. What a joy to be with Sister Marlita, the people of St. Thomas the Apostle parish, so many of our Sisters, Fr.Paul and all the others who were at this Eucharistic Celebration!

Sister Marlita is a blessing for this very welcoming parish as the people are to her and Sister Maryl! Do count on our prayers as you all continue to journey together with Jesus!

2. Sister Sharon Paul says:

Sr. Marlita, God’s special blessings & Congratulations to you on being commissioned as the Parish Director of St. Thomas the Apostle. May the Lord be your guide as you together with the people of God witness & reveal His will with the multitudinous GIFTS he has blessed you & all the parishoners in living the Gospel. Sr. Maryl, you also have gifts to contribute. You are in prayer.
    Our Parish, St. Mary’s, West Point, NE has added Life Teen & Edge Programs which is strengthening our teens to reach out to others & GROW in their FAITH & realize we are a WORLD CHURCH. Gratefully in St. Francis & Clare & your patron, St. Thomas!

3. Sister Adrianna says:

It was a privelege to celebrate with Sr. Marlita and the St. Thomas Community. The spirit of worship and celebration was very much alive. Sr. Marlita brings many gifts to this new ministry in the Church. May God’s blessings be given to her and to the parish community.

4. Sr. Helena Young says:

Blessings Sister Marlita!
    I pray the Lord will be with you as you begin your new ministry. May the Lord also bless Sister Maryl as she forms Community with you and ministers with.

5. Sister Natalie says:

God continues to bless The Church! God initiates and invites. Thank you, Sister Marlita for your response and the witness of your “Yes” to be a servant leader at St. Thomas the Apostle Parish Community. Prayers are with you and the Parish Community as the proud heritage lives on in the time to come.

6. My best wishes and frequent prayer is sent to you both, Srs. Marlita and Maryl, as you begin our community’s ministry at St. Thomas the Apostle Parish. I have found that the parish community forms me as I serve the parish community.
    May you follow the guidance of the Holy Spirit as you embark on this journey!

7. Sister Mary Hugh says:

Congratulations Sister Marlita! My prayers are with you and Sister Maryl. I’m sure you will bring God’s Word to the people and everything else that is on your work load. God bless you and love you.

8. Sr. Ellen says:

Congratulations,Sr. Marlita on your new ministry and to Sr. Maryl for your new assignment as well. I’m sure it will also become a ministry. You are in my prayers as you continue to follow the Lord’s will in your continuous saga of adventure!! Sr. Ellen

9. Sister Marlita says:

GRACIAS, Thanks much for all the good wishes and prayers as I begin my new ministry at St. Thomas the Apostle in Newton, WI. I appreciate all the good wishes and desires for all of us in the parish community, and am confident that the SPIRIT will be inspiration and guide for the future. I was especially grateful for the presence of so many at the commissiioning ceremony on Sept.20, and I count on the collaboration of all the community members here to work closely together for the growing of our community and the enrichment of our faith life together.
    Thank you one and all.
    SISTER MARLITA

10. Sr. Delores Wisnicky says:

Congratulations, Sr. Marlita! You are so filled with the Spirit! God has brought you and Sr. Maryl to this area… Sr. Maryl, you bring a prayerful heart. We are blessed to have you at St. Thomas the Apostle.
    Thank you for coming and sharing with us at our House meeting.
    May your days unfold with God’s wonders and goodness! May you sing out His Praises!

11. Sister Pat Sevcik says:

Congratulations, Sister Marlita! What a joy it was to celebrate with you and your new Parish Community last Sunday! You have so many gifts and talents. There is no doubt that you will share your faith, energy, creativity and spirit with the people you are called to serve at St. Thomas the Apostle.I look forward to a visit at the convent and to bringing the Postulants to visit and enjoy a meal with you and Sr. Maryl. God bless you!

12. Ernesto DeSantiago says:

Congrats Sister Marlita! Thank God for bring you to Newton.:)

That’s great! New Church ministry in Newton, WI. This will gather many more people in the city of Newton. I will pray this church turns out to be a great sucess. My best wishes for the success for St. Thomas.

13. Ruben Valdivia says:

Sister Marlita is a pleasure to have found you after 10 years, since you retired from Maria Reina Marianistas, in Lima-Perú. I wish you the best of the successes in this new stage of your life.
    God bless you