Beach Sweep 2009: Flip Flops Popular Footwear

by Sister Julie Ann on September 16, 2009

no images were found

Where’s the beach? The Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity and the Two Rivers Parks and Recreation img_6469.jpgDepartment, sponsors of the Manitowoc and Two Rivers, WI, September 16, 2009 Beach Sweep, were amazed to find once sandy areas  under crashing shoreline waves. Adventurous volunteers enjoyed the challenge of  taking off flip flops and wading to areas where trash could be collected and tallied.  Others scaled rocks to participate in the Ocean Conservancy’s International Coastal Cleanup or Wisconsin’s Coastal Awareness Month ensuring a living resource for generations.

img_6473.jpgLast year, nearly 400,000 volunteers collected more than 6.8 million pounds of trash in 100 countries and 42 US states during the 2008 International Coastal Cleanup — the world’s largest volunteer effort of its kind.

While cigarette butts had the highest number of tallies, volunteers also found and logged these unique items among the 60 pounds collected this year:

• fireworks
  • bullet casing
  • moldy bread
  • sock and shoes
  • ear phones and wires
  • more than a little styrofoam

Fortunate to have over 1,000 miles of shoreline on Lakes Michigan and Superior, the state of beachsweep1.jpgWisconsin recognizes that water is a vitally important natural, cultural and economic resource. Kae DonLevy is responsible for supplying the Beach Sweep Kit: bags, gloves, data cards and instructions.

What are some of your good memories at a beach, underwater harbor, marina, river or lake?

14 thoughts on “Beach Sweep 2009: Flip Flops Popular Footwear”

1. Sister Rosangela Weiland says:

I am grateful to all those who give their time and energy to help keep our lake free of trash.

2. Sister Natalie says:

This is a visual reminder to take care of our Environment. We have so much and can take so much for granted. We are called to be stewards of the Earth. Thank you for “walking the talk.”
    A childhood memory is going fishing almost every Sunday after Mass. Caring for our Natural Resources will provide memories for generations to come.

3. Sister June says:

My favorite memory is when my family went to see the boat races on the Ohio River.
    Also, we had a favorite swimming hole that my dad and mom would take us for a picnic and we could play and enjoy the water.

4. Kara says:

My favorite memory was going to the beach with my friends in high school. We used to practice cheerleading and dance routines in the the water. 🙂 We were too busy with our other sports and activities to be on the team, so that was our chance.

5. My favorite memory is spending a week or two with my family at a cottage near Mountain, WI. We’d swim all day, eat on the dock, sunbathe and swim until dark. Swimming is a great healing and cleansing experience for me.

6. Sister Sean Marie says:

My favorite experience was taking some of my science club members from Chicago’s St. Willibrord through the boundary waters of Minnesota into Canada. The only way in and out was by canoe. The water was so clear that one could see walleye strike the lure and so clean that safe drinking water was always available. Garbage was burned or carried back to the US. True stewardship was a lesson taught on this journey.

7. Sister Mary Hugh says:

I think it’s great that we have some people interested in our environment to keep our beach lines clean. Thank you.

8. Sister Sue Ann Hall says:

Boy did that look like fun? Sister Adrianna you took the prize! How cold was the lake? I know I was involved one year and it was a real eye opener as to what one finds. Thank you for hepling keep the Lakeshore looking great!

9. Sister Sharon Paul says:

Blessings to all those who helped in the BEACH SWEEP 2009! The waves looked awesome! Water always brings love & warmth to my heart because our parents & family all swam at the age of 3 & practically lived at Lake Isabelle,Northside Beach & Armco Park in Zanesville, OH. The lakes were 10 miles one way & Oh, what sacrifices our parents made. Not only Summer but in Winter we would ice-skate. Then, later a lifeguard & taught swimming. It is one of the MOST relaxing sports for the whole body! YES, keep America clean for wildlife & all peoples.

10. Nhut Ho says:

We should take care of our Environment. We should keep our beach, lake clean. God gave us the beautiful world, we can destroy it by throwing trash when we go to the beach or lake. If everybody have consciousness this world will be better. Thanks to all those who have consciousness to keep this world clean.

11. Sister Jan Villemure says:

Nhut,
    Did you recognize Sister Adrianna in the beach sweep picutres? She was the Principal at YCHS. Sisters do all kinds of things. Who said our life is boring!!!!!

12. Sister Pat Sevcik says:

I have good memories of the first beach sweep at which I helped pick garbage a couple years ago. My father taught me and my 7 siblings how to care for the earth. He was a great example for us. I think my parents were very Franciscan. I grew up along Lake Michigan and have respect for creation. The lake and beach, our earth, are gift. Thank you to all who helped in this most recent beach sweep!

13. Marie Wilhelm says:

My favorite time at the beach was when there were really huge waves in Lake Michigan and me and my sister went swimming in them. That doesn’t happen to often.

14. Ernesto DeSantiago says:

I am proud of the many people that took their time to clean up the enviornment. I mean 60 lbs. That’s one heavy garbage bag. Now parents can take their sons and daughter somewhere they can be clean and have fun! My mother and father use to take us to the river and it was quite dirty. So the city of Yuma, decided to make it into a park. So now i have somewhere to take my kids!

Also I recongonized Sr. Andriana in the first picture. She used to be our principle at YCHS. We miss her.