Important FSCC Notice: Marie Wilhelm and Kara Martin Begin Postulancy

by Sister Julie Ann on August 23, 2009

“Those who through the Lord’s inspiration come to us desiring to accept this way of life are to be received kindly. At the appropriate time, they are to be presented to the ministers of the fraternity who hold responsibility to admit them…let everything pertaining to this gospel way of life be explained to them, especially these words of the Lord: ‘If you wish to be perfect  go and sell all your possessions and give to the poor. You will have treasure in heaven. Then, come, follow me.'”

These words from Chapter II of the Franciscan Rule of the Third Order Regular became the focus of the lives of the Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity today, August 23, 2009, as they welcomed two young women into the postulancy of their community.

marie.jpgMarie Wilhelm, age 30, originally from Manitowoc, WI but working and living most recently in De Pere, WI as an administrative assistant (photo by Jaslyn Gilbert Photography)

medium_martin2.jpgKara Martin, age 24, Grand Rapids, MI, just recently graduated from Aquinas College with a degree in elementary education (photo by Emily Zoladz, Grand Rapids Press)

Marie and Kara, with God’s help and with the guidance of directress, Sister Patricia Sevcik, OSF, will strive to acquire the degree of maturity to make the transition from the life of a lay woman to that of a religious. The goal of the postulancy is to prepare for the novitiate, a time of becoming more fully acquainted with the essential requirements of a call to religious life.

Any words of welcome or comments for Marie and Kara?

33 thoughts on “Important FSCC Notice: Marie Wilhelm and Kara Martin Begin Postulancy”

1. Welcome, welcome Marie and Kara. May you be open to all you experience and know how happy we are to have you with us. I hope you will be able to come to visit our Oshkosh, Omro and Winneconne ministries this year. Sister Pam and I would love to have you. I will be praying for your joy and peace.

2. Anna Pham says:

Congratulations on your postulancy Marie and Kara!!! I am so happy for both of you and I will continue to pray that the Lord will lead you and guide you along this journey.

3. Susan Martin says:

To know you both is to love you. The light of the Holy Spirit glows brightly in you! Your joyful and peaceful spirits are mirrors of God, and so very obvious.
    Love and prayers to you!
    Kara’s Mom XOXOXOX

4. Sr. Helena Young says:

Welcome Marie and Kara! May the Lord be with you always as you come to learn more about our way of life. You have been in my prayers and I promise to continue to pray for you.

5. St. Francis cried out, “This is what I desire with all my heart.”

Marie and Kara, your own desire for God and wanting to do his will led you to arrive at our doorstep. We are thrilled to be part of each of your soul’s journey to God. Peace and all good.

6. Sr. Delores Wisnicky says:

Welcome, Marie and Kara! I look forward to seeing you. May your journey of faith be surrounded with the Lord’s love…
    You are each a gift of God!

7. Kathy Schlossmacher says:

best wishes and prayers for a successful transition. you will continue to be in my prayers as you start your exciting journey

8. Sister Mary Bodwin says:

We are so pleased to have Marie and Kara with our Franciscan family. May they find peace and joy.
    Sistr Mary Bodwin

9. Sister Rosangela Weiland says:

Kara and Marie, we welcome you with open arms. May you experience joy and peace as you get to know us and our way of life. God has called you and you have responded in love. He is with you, guiding you along the way. May God use us to help you and lead you in whatever way we can.

10. Marie Wilhelm says:

Thank you to everyone for welcoming us. Everyone has been really accomodating and friendly. I really like it here. Kara and I are all signed up for classes. Things are moving right along!! Tomorrow we get measured for our clothes! I am excited for that!

11. S Pat Sevcik says:

Dear Marie and Kara, how wonderful for you to be here, to have answered the call of Jesus! We are so pleased to welcome you. I feel privileged to work with and mentor you. We had a great first full day and a walk about our grounds this evening to talk, relax, meet more Sisters and bask in the beauty of the wooded trails. I thank God for you!

12. Meghan Smith says:

Congratulations Marie and Kara! My prayers are with you as you begin this journey. God Bless!

13. Sister Mary Ann Nugent says:

Welcome to our Franciscan Community, Marie and Kara! I was delighted to meet you this morning and help you select and sign up for classes at Silver Lake College. Be assured of my prayerful support as you begin this new and rewarding journey.

14. Lisa Burke says:

Abundant blessings, Marie and Kara, on your entrance to the postulancy of the FSCC! May this time of asking be filled with rich blessings and abundant grace. Through every aspect of the journey may your “YES” be affirmed and the Spirit of God embibe within you the fullness of your witness in consecrated life!

15. Betsy Joy says:

Congratulations to you both! I will keep you in my prayers for sure!

16. Jean-Pierre Ruiz says:

The blessings of God’s grace and wisdom be with you both as you both begin your postulancy!

17. Sister Mary Ann says:

All of your thoughtful messages, prayers, and support are wonderful! Thanks for sharing in our welcoming of these young women!!! It is a JOY to have them join us!

18. Sister Doris Jurgenson says:

Welcome to the Postulancy Marie and Kara. You are in our prayers as you begin this journey with the Lord. We are happy you have chosen our Franciscan family. May the Lord be with you as you study our way life.

Sister Doris Jurgenson
    St. Mary Convent
    West Point, NE

19. Sister Anne Turba says:

Welcome, Marie and Kara! We have awaited and prepared for your arrival with much anticipation and joy, and now that you are here, all feels “right”! Thank you for answering our Lord’s call with a generous heart,full of love. God will not fail you and we will stand with you as you learn our life and continue to answer God’s call to go deeper. Please be assured of my daily prayers and support as well as my joy in having you with us!

20. Sister Marie Bernadette says:

Evidently this has been on the blog for several days,however we had company in our convent home and I did not get to the computer. Congratulations to both of you and much love as you continue to serve the Lord!

21. Sister Chiara says:

Welcome Kara and Marie! Iam so happy to have you join us! Thank you for saying “Yes” to God’s call! You can be assured of my prayers. God Bless you both!

22. Sister Carla Riach says:

Kara and Marie,
    Welcome to our community! It’s so exciting to see you are really here with us. I pray this year of discernment will confirm your desire to be a Franciscan Sister of Christian Charity.
    It’s a great life and God is so-o-o good!
    I minister at San Xavier Mission in Tucson, AZ.
    Soon you’ll be able to see on this website some footage about our life and ministries here. I look forward to meeting you.
    Sister Carla
    Sister Carla

23. Congratulations Marie Wilhelm and Kara Martin for following what the Lord has called you to do.

24. Marie Wilhelm says:

I would like to say Thank you to everyone who has welcomed us and is praying for us! God knows I need your prayers and support. The transition is going pretty well. We start school next week and our schedules are filling up with many good things to do! It will be fun to get to know all the sisters and meet new people as the year goes on.

25. Sister Sharon Paul says:

WELCOME, KARA & MARIE to our Franciscan Srs. of Christian Charity. How blessed we are to have you share your God-given gifts with us. May your years be ones of continuing to grow with us in deepening the Lord’s call within & without our Community.Congratulations, Kara in graduating from Aquinas in Education. Marie, imagine you have many experiences as Administrative Assistant. Enjoyed meeting you a few months ago. We will see you in Oct. when we have the Health Forum at our Motherhouse. Until then blessings, and God’s graces sprinkled with some humor! WELCOME! Sr. Sharon Paul (A Buckeye!)

26. Sister Annette Kurey says:

Peace and all good! Marie and Kara we are thrilled to have you at the Motherhouse. May the journey ahead hold many blessings for you. Grow close to Jesus and trust in His love. Transition times hold their own graces. May you recognize them and know the Lord’s presence. With prayers for both of you.

27. Kara says:

Thank you everyone for your warm greetings! It means a lot of hear of your thoughts and prayers for us! It’s a joy to be here!

28. Sister Sean Marie says:

Welcome Marie and Kara,
    Dream the dream and fix your gaze on Him who will be your source of joy and peace. Know your sisters here will be your daily support as you begin this journey in religious life. My prayers have been with you and will continue each day.

29. Sister Marcolette Madden says:

Marie and Kara, we live in an age and society in which so many choices are open to so many people, that it’s refreshing to witness your decision to discern a distinct choice. Know that we keep you in prayer as you reflect on your experiences in the Postulancy and channel your energies toward those things that give your life true meaning and beauty.

30. Callie Beth says:

Girls! May you two beautiful young women of God, dance towards Her, the Beautiful Church and the Sacred Heart of Jesus and Christ! May you step and take strides of courage, patience, love, humility and may you continue to spread peace.. through the little things! A smile makes a huge difference to those around 🙂
    I will be praying for you both, I know you are gonna and already are making a HUGE dent on the world.

Go forth and spread the gospel and set the world on fire with His love!

31. Maggie McConnaha says:

Congratulations Kara! And, good luck with your new life.

32. Sister Ritarose says:

Welcome to our home, Marie and Kara! Having met both of you, I feel that we are doubly blessed to have you as part of our family. You are both in our prayers and will continue to be so.