Choosing to come to the Motherhouse in Manitowoc, WI, on July 17 or July 18, 2009, the Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity assembled for an important community meeting. One of the purposes of the gathering was to begin an in-depth Peace Study.
The goal of the study is:
That we, Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity, deepen our understanding of Gospel Peace so as to become active persons of peace.
- Scriptural Foundation and Nonviolent Peace Education
- The Problem of Evil
- Creation and Franciscanism
- Salvation in Christ
- The Incarnation
- World Day of Peace and Pacem In Terris
- Inner Peace and Prayer from the Catechism of the Catholic Church
- Contemporary situations, current dvds viewed with the eyes of Gospel peace
In addition to learning about the various components of an in-depth Peace Study, the Franciscan Sisters also heard presentations on these topics:
- Community Mission Statement
- Community Prayer Book
- International Franciscan Conference
- “The Service of Authority and Obedience” (Four Sisters offered reflections based on their own lives in the light of this instruction from the Congregation for Institutes of Consecrated Life and Societies of Apostolic Life.)
- ‘Relationship of Religious Congregations and the Church” (Insights gleaned from a recent Canon Law Workshop were shared.)
- Vatican’s Apostolic Visitation of Women’s Religious Communities in the United States (Sister Louise Hembrecht, OSF, Community Director reflected on her recent visit with Mother Clare Millea, ASCJ.)
What would you include in an in-depth Peace Study?