Ten Reasons Why this Pentecost Retreat was Spirit-Filled

by Sister Julie Ann on June 2, 2009

Do you want the fire of God’s love? Ten young women, ages 18-30, prayed for an outpouring of the gifts of the Holy Spirit as they gathered at the Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity’s Motherhouse for a Pentecost Retreat Weekend, May 29-31, 2009.

Each  young woman was the reason the vocation discernment retreat was such a blessing.  Here are some of the common qualities of the participants:

• willing to go the distance for something important (that included coming from AZ, MD, MO, IL, MI, MN, and WI )
  • consider family important
  • involved in campus ministry, parishes, mission trips; interested in issues affecting the poor
  • listen to liturgical as well as other music for prayer
  • open to adventure
  • contemplative-finding God in the substance of daily life as well as in front of the Eucharistic Lord
  • enjoy a good conversation on various topics
  • in awe of the beauty of God’s creation and find it a natural reflection
  • desire a simple life
  • like doing things with and for others e.g. music outreach at St. Thomas Parish, Newton, WI

Future Franciscan Discernment Retreat Weekends are slated for October 2-4 and November 13-15, 2009, and  February 12-14 and May 21-23, 2010. If these times are not convenient and you are a young woman interested in knowing more about the Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity, please fill out our on-line inquiry form.

(Photos: Jaslyn Gilbert Photography)

How did this year’s feast of Pentecost touch your life?

16 thoughts on “Ten Reasons Why this Pentecost Retreat was Spirit-Filled”

1. Jenna says:

This retreat touched my life. It made me more aware of the Holy Spirit and it gave me more of an idea of how Sisters live. I discovered the true definition of a community.

I appreciated the generosity and love the Sisters had.

2. Marie says:

It helped me to come to a better understanding of Pentecost and how the Holy Spirit works in our lives if we let him. It also taught me that sometimes we need to put aside our own ideas and self interests.

I appreciated the music outreach, Lake Michigan, meeting different women from different backgrounds and the wind chime project.

3. This weekend was filled with the presence of the Holy Spirit! The depth of faith, kindness, openness, love for life, prayerfulness, and sharing were gifts we all received from each other! The Church is filled with wonderful young women, it is a privilege to get to know them! Thank you Marie and Jenna for your messages and for participating in this retreat!

4. Kara says:

This retreat helped me to feel at peace in the application process, and to trust that the Holy Spirit is guiding me and giving me the support I need through the gifts and fruits.

I really liked interacting with other young women discerning and meeting people who are already Sisters. I liked the art project too.

5. Wendy says:

I thought it was great to have so much time for reflection and community. I felt welcomed by all and felt at home with the Sisters and the other retreatants. Did I really have to go back home?

I appreciated being a part of the music outreach @ St. Thomas.

6. Anna says:

This retreat touched me in ways that I cannot explain, but to put it simply: it made me look at life in a deeper, spiritual light. It gave me a better understanding of “giving up yourself.”

I enjoyed everything that we did, especially having quiet time to reflect among the activities.

7. Pam says:

Coming up North for the weekend was great. Being able to have the Holy Spirit moving in all of us. So much to think and pray about. AWESOME!!! (even with an aching heart.)

8. Pam, Wendy, Kara and Anna, the Holy Spirit continues to move within and around you. Surrender and trust that God can transform each of us into what we are created to be. See God’s loving, compassionate face as you look into the mirror and as peer into the eyes of those you meet.

9. Irene says:

It gave me strength to continue pursuing religious life. It also gave an opportunity to speak with Sisters and learn about their experiences. The Lord powerfully manifested his presence.

10. Carolyn says:

The retreat made me realize that God’s plan for me is to start a family & teach my family to love God. I appreciated the quiet prayer/relaxation time.

11. Sister Rosangela says:

I wish I could have met all the young women who spent the week-end in this Retreat. I spent time with Wendy as she joined Pam and the Postulant Team for supper and recreation. We enjoyed being together,and had a fun time.

12. Callie Beth says:

This retreat whispered to me to let go and let the Holy Spirit dance through me. This was a beautiful time to be immersed with other young women and the Sisters. I felt the Lord’s love and presence amongst us all that weekend. My favorite part was journaling under a tree near one of the gardens and talking with the other young women!

13. Katie says:

The time that I spent at the Motherhouse definitely opened my eyes and heart. When thinking about what my life would be like if I were to become a Franciscan sister, I usually become anxious, but now I only have positive and calming thoughts. Love and happiness simply radiates from the Motherhouse and all the sisters within it.
    On my retreat I met beautiful and inspirational young women. When I see all the selfless things these ladies are doing (i.e. giving up there lives for the worship of our God), I feel confident for the world’s future 🙂

14. Pamela says:

During this weekend on retreat, my life has been touched quite a bit. The friendships that have been made over the couple of days. Realizing I’m not alone in seeking after what it is that I’m to be doing. Being able to slow down to hear what the possible call is.

15. I feel blessed to read all the comments and to know that the Holy Spirit is very active in each life even though the retreat has ended.

I hope the ongoing blog of our lives and activities helps to keep the experience alive. Reflecting and remembering is a great prayer.

16. An important focus for prayer this weekend was “The Descent of the Holy Spirit” icon. And becoming a living icon community of believers as we gathered in a circle of twelve ourselves.