Door County: Lenten Outreach Destination

by Sister Julie Ann on March 14, 2009

On March 14, 2009, a band of Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity including Sister Chiara LaValley, novice and Pam Piesel, postulant, journeyed to Corpus Christi Parish, Sturgeon Bay, WI. This Door County community is where past members of the Franciscan Sisters historically helped open a parochial school in the basement of a church in September 1908.

The Franciscan troupe shared their gifts of music at the Saturday evening Eucharistic liturgy. Although “an American Religious Identification Survey, released this week, showed a 10 percentage point decline in the past 18 years in the number of Wisconsinites who identify themselves as Catholic”, this Door County water village parish was vibrant and the church full.

After Mass Father Carol Schmitt, current pastor, invited Father Tony Birdsall, former pastor, two special guests and the Sisters to dine at a local pizza place. All were filled with good food and light-hearted conversation.�

14 thoughts on “Door County: Lenten Outreach Destination”

1. Friendliness, faithfulness, and Franciscan joy was evident in the people of Corpus Christi parish! It was a delight to share the Eucharistic Celebration with them!

2. GOD BE WITH YOU…words found under the choir loft of this church of faith-filled followers of Jesus. What a blessing to meet Jesus on the road here WITH YOU!

3. The pictures posted are engaging and inspiring. I particularly like the one where Sister Chiara is kneeling down showing the little girl her musical instrument. The expressions on their faces is a joy to see.

I think this music ministry outreach is a great way to share with people in parishes, to serve at the liturgy and to expose ourselves and others to prayerful worship experiences.

Thank you for sharing this!

4. Our Music Outreach is also a wonderful way to reconnect with the people of the many parishes we have and continue to serve!Thanks for your supportive thoughts Sister Anne Marie!

5. gerald :D says:

i like it!!!
    nice pik! 😀

6. Thanks for writing Gerald! It is fun to share a bit of our life with young people from all over the country, AZ has a special place in our hearts!

7. Sister Rosangela says:

How wonderful our Sisters, Novice and Postulant can take part in this outreach to parishes. It is a good way to stay connected to the parishes we served in the past. The pictures show the joy of being and celebrating together. Good Job!!!

8. Sister Sharon Paul says:

Wonderful ministry up there in Door County. It brings back many memories because Algoma, neighbors to Sturgeon Bay, were my first taste of mission life. We visited Sturgeon Bay as we had two schools there at that time. Lake Michigan & God’s beauty spoke volumes. Keep up your dedicated work in these parishes. THANK YOU! Have a grace-filled HOLY WEEK & a glorious EASTER. Alleluia, ALLEluia, ALLELUIA! Gratefully, Sr. Sharon Paul, O.S.F.

9. Lucy says:

I was a student at Corpus Christi for 8 years! I wish I had known you were going to be there. These days I don’t go to Corpus much because my home parish is Holy Name of Mary in Maplewood and I am now a student at Roncalli. The pictures reminded me of the many times I participated in mass there as a student. I played clarinet at a lot of school masses and really enjoyed that. Thanks for posting the pictures, they bring back awesome memories.

10. Lucy, I can see how you would have good memories of the people in this parish. How wonderful that you feel so at home at Holy Name. We have visited there as well. We felt warmly welcomed.

Do treasure your experiences at Roncalli. A Catholic High School education is something worth the sacrifice of many miles on the road. Your parents are to be admired.

11. Sister Sharon Paul says:

Lucy, how wonderful that you attended Corpus Christi School for eight years. Glad that you shared your talents playing the clarinet for the Masses there. Thank YOU! Do you have the opportunity to play it at Holy Name of Mary in Maplewood? Are you in college, out or working now? May you have a meaningful TRIDUUM and a grace-filled EASTER!
    I minister now in West Point, Nebraska but I have treasured memories of my first years at St. Mary’s School, Algoma, WI & recently heard from Fr. W. Buhl who was stationed there years ago!!!

12. Lucy says:

I hear you will be coming to Maplewood this Saturday. I am so very excited!

13. Yes, we will see you there. Join us in the choir loft, Lucy!