January Song by Catherine MacLellan

by Sister Julie Ann on January 1, 2009

cmaclellan_pressphoto04.jpg‘As winter hits’ seasonally and metaphorically in this 2009 new year, the Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity feature Catherine MacLellan’s January Song from the album Church Bell Blues. Catherine MacLellan’s compelling voice, honest lyrics and expressive acoustic guitar are all neatly framed by the empathetic production of longtime collaborator James Phillips. (Photo: Patrick Nichols)

With this album I was just finding a way to communicate my sadness and my feelings that I couldn’t necessarily express directly to people. I wrote most of the songs in the winter or the fall, when everything is dying and really quiet. It definitely represents the mood.

I definitely write about my personal experience, and I find people seem to respond by relating it to their own personal situations. That way, the songs are not necessarily just about me, and that’s what you aim for.                          -Catherine MacLellan

music_cbb_sm.jpgHer music is a characteristic of the work of many of the singer/songwriters Catherine cites as influences and inspirations, artists such as Joni Mitchell, Nanci Griffith, Townes Van Zandt and Julie Doiron. As a young songwriter Catherine MacLellan did not have to look far for inspiration and insight into the creative process. She’s the daughter of Canadian music legend, singer/songwriter Gene MacLellan, the writer of such huge international 70s hit songs as “Snowbird” (the Anne Murray classic) and “Put Your Hand In The Hand” (Ocean).

Nominated for 2007 East Coast Music Award (Female Solo Recording of the Year) in 2006, Catherine picked up four awards at the PEI Music Awards including Songwriter of the Year. She is a favorite among her own songwriter peers.

Lyrics: January Song

I wasn’t expecting this, but I’m ready now

Suddenly the winter hits, there’s so much snow down

It’s not like the year before, everyone has changed their place

I’m knocking on brand new doors, everything is rearranged.

Yes, it was a crazy year, we all had so much fun

But now I feel I’m wasted here, time to get some things done

It feels so hard to begin, just want to hang around with you

Think I could fit some business in between loving you.

Now, we’re all tired and we’re all broke now we’re all anchoring

Too much drinking, too much smoke, too much of something

It is January, and I’m wide awake

Always feels like morning and I’m running late.

Purchase through True North Records.

Website: http://www.catherinemaclellan.com/

MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/catherinemaclellan

40 thoughts on “January Song by Catherine MacLellan”

1. What a peaceful sound with which to start a new year! Yet, in that quiet melody are some little challenges. I love the thought of things being “rearranged”. Sometimes at the time of new year I/we get all caught up in dumping the old and making whole new starts. I forget that all the makings of holiness, wholeness and greatness are already present. I just need God’s rearranging touch. Peace to us all!

2. The light-fingered string action, the thoughtful lyrics and the melancholy mood make a perfect New Year ballad. The song pleads for action, real movement to an ‘anchored’ decision. I can’t help but think of people who I know who are writing resumes, going to discernment retreats, filling out applications, planning weddings, etc. January is a naturally good month to ‘knock on new doors’ before one ‘is running late’.

3. CL says:

This song was really good. It really opened up my mind to a whole new idea

4. Catherine Marie says:

This song was very relaxing and inspiring,

5. cricket says:

The singer has a fantastic voice. Song is very realistic in teh way it portrays the new year feeling.

6. Chelley says:

I really enjoyed the guitar. It was very soothing and relaxing.

7. Maria says:

the guitar in the song is pretty cool

8. m.m. says:

The song is powerful and moving to my soul.

9. ‘January Song’ is very powerful-real proof is the inspired comments from the students at San Miguel High School. What a great day!

10. B.N. says:

I like the guitar music. It was very nice. She expresses her feelings. She’s singing to that one person.

11. R.L. says:

“Now we’re all tired and we’re all broke, too much drinking, too much smoke”-I understand the words here, that life takes too long and there is no time.

12. d. says:

This song makes me feel very calm, but makes me look at my life in a different way.

13. ana says:

The song had very sweet lyrics. Nice voice and good playing of the guitar.

14. Catherine’s giftedness is recognized and respected. Thanks for your comments.

15. Christopher says:

The actual music to the song is o.k. but the lyrics are ‘questionable’.

16. Kevin says:

The song is very good and touching!

17. Sophia says:

The song is soothing. It makes me feel at ease. Makes you take a good look at life.

18. Christopher says:

I like the guitar music and the rhythm of the song.

19. Joseph says:

This song moves me.

20. C. says:

I liked the girl’s voice. I liked that the song sounded peaceful.

“I thank you very much for coming.”

21. Gerardo says:

I like the guitar in the song-nice sounding. The singer has good vocals.

22. Alexis says:

it’s very nature related, and explains how you feel-kinda like the blues except with a guitar!

23. Again, thanks for making a statement. After being in Tucson for a few days, I was reminded that you can be cold to the bone and not ‘have so much snow down’ except for on the mountains. Peace and all good.

24. Marcela says:

Guitar parts cool.

25. Eidtsa says:

It really touched me and how my life is right now.

26. tucson says:

I agree. Explains a lot in life.

27. Armando says:

I like that you can download free songs. I can also get closer to God.

28. Leslie says:

My uncle says during January it always seems like your just spinning your tires. January is a good month for reflecting on life. Sometimes it can be a time for regret but it is also a time for resolutions and plans. This January has been good it has had all the normal essence of January lots of snow and winter and of course some regret. Regret doesn’t help anything so I try not to spend much time on it. January like all other things is what you make it. I have had a good January filled with positive reflections of all the good things from the year before. It has been filled with family and friends. The New Year has already blessed my family with happy times and good memories. Now my brother just has to pass his finals and the wonderful new begining will be complete. A new year is like a clean slate but it also makes a person think about how fast time goes by. Time is a strange thing but one thing is sure it always slips away. So we have to be sure not to waste it. The end of the year will come again like a stranger in the night. This song is a perfect example of January.

29. Leslie, I agree. January can feel like one is spinning one’s tires–especially when snow crystals, which weigh next to nothing, keep accumulating! January also can be a reminder that life is complicated, but never boring, for those who throw themselves into really living. Do comment again.

30. Arianna says:

This song was very pretty. To me it means that it is at the beginning of a whole new year. And this will give us an opportunity to change the way we live our lives.

31. Z.T. says:

I think that this song is saying that we shouldn’t waste time on unimportant things. To wake up and find your vocation in life.

32. Changing the way we live our lives and finding our vocation are action steps. It means looking at our relationships, routines, emotions, etc. It calls for real reflection time. Your comments show this song inspires meaningful journaling. Peace and all good.

33. Stephen says:

It touched me. It was incredible.

34. itzel says:

A good song to listen to when feeling down.

35. Marie says:

I like the guitar. It’s really relaxing; it made me kind of go into meditation.

36. The guitar sound is artistically beautiful. It reminded me of one of our previous Franciscanized World artists Ralph McTell who writes on ‘The Love of a Freshly Strung Guitar’. See http://www.ralphmctell.co.uk/feat_string.php

37. january girl says:

I really enjoyed the song, especially because it’s the month of my birthday. I believe that the singer was talented. This song speaks to people; it tells me about how beautiful life is and there are many things still to try.

38. Happy Birthday! So glad you enjoyed Catherine’s song. Do come back each month of your new year.

39. Randi says:

I really enjoyed this song. Now that we are in the final week of January I can really connect with the lyrics. We are now starting a new year and there are many new things we must do and only a few days left to do them. I do feel like I’m running out of time but I need to remember that all the snow will melt away and bring a new year that can be full of life and happiness.

40. Thanks, Randi, for your wisdom. You are waiting on spring by anticipating watching the snow melt. (Me, I’ve noticed that the sun’s light is increasing and making our day longer.) Sharing your joy with everyone at the Neuman Center in Superior is a good use of your time! What a blessing!