Always Go Forward Never Turn Back

by Sister Julie Ann on August 26, 2008

img_4518_1420.jpgFather Junipero Serra, the saintly Spanish missionary,  is remembered for this memorable quote and 20,000 Serrans in 46 countries on six continents who meet twice monthly in 1,109 groups, including men and women from a Manitowoc, WI Club, follow his Christ-like zeal by fulfilling their own vocation to service and encouraging others to aspire to the priesthood and religious life.

The five elements of Serra spell the organization’s name:

Spiritual Growth

Encouraging Church Vocations

Religious Education of the Laity

Responsive Lay Leadership

Association in Christian Fellowship

img_4521_1423.jpgSharing a spirit of service, the Manitowoc Serrans invited the Roncalli High School LaSallian Youth to team with them on August 26, 2008 for a special appreciation picnic for the priests and religious in the local area. The event was indeed something special for all the Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity that were present, as well as other guests.

img_4524_1426.jpgThe Lasallian Youth derives its name from St. John Baptist de La Salle, the founder of the De La Salle Christian Brothers. One of the founding principles of young people associated with this saint’s name is an awareness and a concern for another’s welfare.

During the 1960s, a lively movement characterized by an interest in St. John Baptist de La Salle and his principles developed among the students of the Brothers and the young people in Spain. The movement spread to many other areas: Italy, Belgium, France, Latin America, Malta, the Near East, the Phillipines and Quebec, to mention only a few.

Comment on your experience of the Serrans or LaSallian Youth.

15 thoughts on “Always Go Forward Never Turn Back”

1. A delightful evening that was well enhanced by the coed group of LaSallian youth. Their positive spirit and willingness to serve as well as join in the fun made the evening a success.
    I felt privileged to meet them.
    Blessings to the Serrans and the LaSallian groups,
    Sr. Sarah

2. A combo of Serran and LaSallian spirit is an ultimate winner! Peace and all good to each of these dedicated, joyful people.

3. It was a joy to me to see the LaSallian Youth joining the Serrans! I remember when LaSallian Youth was began at Roncalli. It has grown and flourished. Kudos to all who nurture the vocation of young people in service to others. It is, indeed, a gift to the Church.

4. Sister Natalie says:

The Serran celebration was wonderful! This gathering provides an opportunity to come together and interact with friends of the past and meet new ones. The dedication of the Serra Club Members is inspiring and the involvement of the LaSallian Youth brought an added up-lifting enthusiasm! Real Franciscan Joy was shared! May God continue to bless the outreach projects of the Serra Club and all the members!

5. Sister Verone says:

I enjoyed the Serran picnic very much. It was good to see so many sisters there. I was especially happy to see the young people. They served us with a joyful spirit. Many of us needed a helping hand and they were right there with a smile. Blessings to all worked for our enjoyment.
    Sister Verone

6. Sister Michaela Melko says:

Dear Serrans, I just wanted to tell you that this is the first picnic I have missed in a lot of years, and I would not have missed it lightly. Unfortunately the funeral of a dear friend and colleague’s mother coincided with your date. I will look forward to next year’s picnic!

7. Sister Winifred says:

Enjoyed the picnic very much. Found out that Barbara?, who was the President was in Europe & Clara Svatek is now president. Would have been nice to know that. Did send her a Thank you card.Also would have been good to introduce the students from Roncalli who were La Sallians- at least the group not individuals.

8. Sister Adrianna says:

What an enjoyable evening. The Serrans are always such gracious hosts and hostesses. It is good to meet friends, share stories, enjoy good food, win at bingo and know the effort they put forth to encourage and appreciate the call to religious life.

9. Sister Rosangela says:

Dear Serrans & Lasallian Youth,
    Thank you seems inadequate for the delicious meal, the wonderful gifts and royal treatment we received at the Serran picnic. It was truly a fun time. I look forward to it each year. May God bless you with His love and peace as you continue to foster Religious vocations.
    Gratefully,
    Sister Rosangela

10. Sister June says:

God bless the Serrans and the La Sallian Youth for the wonderful picnic. It gives us support and hope for the future.

11. Sister Shirley Spilker says:

God bless you for the great time, delicious food, fun bingo with prizes, happy Serrans and
    joyfilled and helpful La Sallian Youth. I had a wonderful time.Thank you.

12. Sister Helena Young says:

It was a beautiful night for the Serran picnic. The food was delicious and the bingo was fun. The Serrans and the LaSallian youth were most gracious. Hope to see you again next year. God Bless all of you!

13. Sr. Delores Wisnicky says:

Dear Serrans and Lasallian youth,
    What a great night… Thanks Norbert Pritzl and everyone who worked to make the night special. I have been out of the area for quite a few years and it felt so good to come. The youth were very helpful and super friendly.
    God bless you… You are a bright light in our church…
    Sr.Delores Wisnicky

14. The evening with the Serrans was very relaxing. I was so proud of our students from Roncalli. They made everyone feel so at home and they seemed to be having a wonderful time. This is the spirit that is very evident a Roncalli also. Thanks kids!!!

15. Lillian R Hall says:

Hi I found your site by accident and I’m glad I did. My Mother-in-law just passed away and I have been going through her jewelry. I found a Catholic medal that looks like Father Serra and on the back
    it said Always go forward never turn back. I have been trying to find out something about it and know I know who said it. Thank you
    for listening.