Devout Teacher Focus of Franciscan Sister’s Studies

by Sister Julie Ann on July 15, 2008

srmariekolbe_edited-1.jpgHow do Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity celebrate the birthday of St. Bonventure? Today at 2 p.m. the Sisters planned a simple reception for one of their own , Sr. Marie Kolbe Zamora, OSF, who completed her Theology Licensure from  the Pontifical Gregorian University located in Rome, Italy. This day was chosen because Sister’s  studies focused on grace and the wisdom of this holy man of God known early in history as the Devout Teacher.

Writing that “love must go hand in hand with learning”, St. Bonaventure was born at a time when St. Francis’ brotherhood grew in record proportions not only in number, but in many geographic locations. Some interesting trivia about Bonaventure includes:

• named John at birth (St. Francis received this name as well.)
  • unlikely that Bonaventure ever met Francis face to face
  • cured of a serious illness through St. Francis’ intercession at a young age
  • came in contact with the friars while at University of Paris
  • entered Franciscan Order in 1243
  • licensed as a bachelor of Scripture, became a master in theology
  • elected as minister general of the Order
  • wrote extensive works classified under three general headings-scholastic treatises, spiritual writings and lecture series

img_4396_1190.jpgBonaventure’s deep respect and love for Francis’ vision was rooted in his teaching. Later called the Seraphic Doctor, Bonaventure writes in The Life of St. Francis: “Among the gifts of grace which Francis received from God the generous Giver, he merited as a special privilege to grow in the riches of simplicity through his love of the highest poverty. The holy man saw that poverty was the close companion of the Son of God, and now that it was rejected by the whole world, he was eager to espouse it in everlasting love.”

How else might one celebrate this Franciscan feast?

10 thoughts on “Devout Teacher Focus of Franciscan Sister’s Studies”

1. Congratulations Sister Marie Kolbe!!! What a wonderful way to deepen our Franciscan calling by sharing in the celebration of one of our Sisters in-depth, scholarly accomplishments! The works of St.Bonaventure continue to give the Franciscan movement deep roots that are watered by God.

2. Sister Helena Young says:

Congratulations Sister Marie Kolbe!
    At the local Dominican parish here in Zanesville we celebrated the feast of St Bonaventure. In his homily Father mentioned that St.Thomas Aquinas and St.Bonaventure were friends. Both great theologians and philosphers and we are grateful to them for their shared knowledge and wisdom. May you have a Happy Day of celebration.
    God Bless You!

3. Sister Natalie says:

God’s special blessings be upon you, Sister Marie Kolbe! The picture above of you gazing into the light is very appropriate! For St. Bonaventure, “the light to see is already within us but we must turn toward this light.” You did respond to the grace within in all these years of study. Thank you!! With joy the Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity celebrate your turning toward THE Light!

4. Dear Sister Marie Kolbe, You probably to re-member me. My dear friend, Eve Auer, mom of Sister “Terri”, keeps me abreast of her daughter. I am celebrating this feast by say-ing the Morning and Evening of for his day. May all of you have a blessed and holy day. May tomorrow feast of Our Lady of Mt Carmel be equally blessed. Peace and good!

5. I’m sure St. Bonaventure would approve of some sparkler fun on his birthday along with a bell tolling at nightfall. He enjoyed the latter practice as a reminder of the Annunciation. (This ritual sounds much like the Angelus?)

Congratulations, Sister Marie Kolbe! It is good to celebrate with you this gift of learning that will enrich us all in the years to come. Peace and all good.

6. Sister Mary Hugh says:

Congratulations! You really had to study very hard. Hope you have a relaxing summer so you can undertake the next step.
    Sister Mary Hugh

7. Sr. Delores Wisnicky says:

Congratulations, Sr. Marie Kolbe! I was on retreat during your celebration and I asked the Lord to continue to bless you in your work. You are a gift to us.

8. How happy I am to see this article about Sr. Marie Kolbe and her study of St. Bonaventure. I prayed for a long time in the chapel of St. Bonaventure at LaVerna while I was on pilgrimage there.
    My congratulations to Sr. Marie Kolbe and my wish and prayer is that you always be a “devout teacher”!

The question posed at the end of the article is how else might one celebrate the Feast of St. Bonaventure? I would pose reading a piece of spiritual literature that stretches the mind and soul… maybe a section of “The Soul’s Journey into God” by Bonaventure. After I read sections of it, I come away inspired, refreshed and with some new insight into the spiritual life.

9. Sister Marie Bernadette Dorn says:

You are one terrific Sister! I was on a home visit for your special celebration, but I/we are all so very proud of you. Be assured of my prayers as you continue your studies. May the time go fast so that you can stay with us again.

10. kim nonmacher says:

Congratulations Sr.! if you remember me, please write back to me. I have been looking for you. Kim Nonmacher,SAA,’81