Sister Chiara is Received into the Novitiate

by Sister Julie Ann on June 14, 2008

img_1851_2nd.JPGOn June 13, 2008, the Franciscan feast of St. Anthony of Padua, the Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity witnessed the Rite of Initiation into Religious Life for Sister Chiara (Angela) LaValley, OSF. The ceremony occured at 7:15 p.m. in St. Mary Chapel.

At the beginning of the ceremony, Sister Louise Hembrecht, Community Director, questioned Angela about her desires for her life. She responded: “Drawn by God’s mercy, I have come here to learn your way of life. I ask you to teach me to follow Christ crucified and to live in st-anthony-of-padua-777th-anniversary-tribute-2008-by-stephen-b-whatley.jpgchastity, poverty and obedience. Teach me to persevere in prayer and penance, in the service of the Church and mankind. Teach me to be one with you in heart and mind. Help me to live out the Gospel every day of my life. Teach me your Rule and help me to learn to love our Sisters as Christ commanded us. ” (painting by Stephen B. Whatley on the 777 feastday of St. Anthony)

After being questioned again whether it was her wish to learn the way of life of a Franciscan Sister of Christian Charity and she replied “Yes, it is”, Angela received her habit, veil, signs of the consecrated life, as well as her Sister name, Sister Chiara.

img_2326.JPGSister Natalie Binversie, OSF, was entrusted with the responsiblity to carry out the purpose of the Novitiate which is to ensure that the novice learns the primary essentials of Religious Life and to live out the evangelical counsels.

Do you desire to give your life to God, as St. Clare did? Here’s one way to make the first step: http://franciscanizedworld.fscc-calledtobe.org/index.php/2008/06/05/vocation-retreats-for-young-adult-catholic-women/

25 thoughts on “Sister Chiara is Received into the Novitiate”

1. Sister Helena Young says:

Congratulation Sister Chiara and welcome into our Franciscan Family!

Your pictures shows your joy on your special day. I pray that each day will bring you closer to fulfilling your desire of learning and living the life of a Fanciscan Sister of Christian Charity.

May the Lord Bless You!

2. As we celebrate with our new Sister Chiara, it seems appropriate to remember St. Clare’s own words to her religious Sister Blessed Agnes of Praque…”What you hold, may you [always]hold. What you do, may you [always] do and never abandon. But with swift pace, light step, [and] unswerving feet, so that even your steps stir up no dust, go forward securely, joyfully, and swiftly, on the path of prudent happiness, believing nothing, agreeing with nothing which would dissuade you from this resolution or which would place a stumbling block for you on the way, so that you may offer your vows to the Most High in the pursuit of that perfection to which the Spirit of the Lord has called you.” Peace and all good, Sister Chiara!

Sister Natalie, the Lord is with you. We promise to be “the Rule” that you teach Sister Chiara.

3. Sister Pat Sevcik says:

It was such a wonderful experience to witness and participate in the Reception of Angela La Valley last evening. It has been an honor and a privilege to have mentored Angela over the past year and to watch her grow. It is a great joy to know that now, Sister Chiara, our new Novice, will continue to journey forward in our Franciscan way of life. Congratulations, Sister Chiara! I will keep you in prayer. May you continue to be open to giving yourself completely to God every day!

4. What a beautiful Sister of “Light” you are Sister Chiara!!! You are a joy to know see how much God loves you!!!! I am so happy to be part of your journey! Count on my continued prayers and support as you begin your novitiate with us!

5. Rachel Moreno says:

Sister Chiara,

I wish you the very best in Christ. I so enjoyed working with you a few months ago. I know God will guide you in this chapter of your life.

May you continue to be blessed.

Rachel

6. Thanks, Rachel, for your support of Sister Chiara. “May the Lord be with you always and wherever you are, may you be with Him always.” (St. Clare)

7. Sister Leonette says:

A beautiful name for a delightful new member of our Franciscan Community! Congratulations, and rich blessings to you, SISTER CHIARA!

For those who may not know who Rachel Moreno is,(see earlier message posted) Rachel is part of the Notre Dame ACE faculty, the program which serves our schools, Santa Cruz & San Xavier, by providing teachers trained through the Notre Dame Program. Rachel lives in Tucson, is one of the ACE instructional supervisors, a great friend of our two schools here. She had occasion to meet Sister Chiara when she, as Angela, spent mission experience here in May. They co-taught one day in the preschool at Santa Cruz, a memorable first day here for Sister Chiara. Thank you, Rachel, for makng contact today.

MayaGod continue to bless you, Sister Chiara, and the many networks our community develops.

Sister Leonette

8. Sister June says:

Congratulations Sr. Chiara, on your reception to our Franciscan Community. As a postulant team member, I have witnessed your sincere effort to learn about our way of life. Be assured of my prayers as you continue your journey toward professing your vows. God bless you.

9. Sister Ritarose Stahl says:

We welcome Sister Chiara to our Community as a novice. Sister provides youth, exhuberance, friendliness and a great desire to serve Our Lord. We are most happy to have her. May her example flow out to other young women to become religious.

10. Welcome to our Franciscan family,
    Sister Chiara! May your days within this gift of Novitiate be filled with frequent surprises: recognizing God’s constant presence and action in your life and in the life of your Novitiate community. With prayer: Pax et Bonum!

11. srosangela says:

Congratulations, Sister Chiara!! What a beautiful ceremony of Reception and what a joy it was to participate as a team member. You radiated JOY!!! May you continue your joyful spirit as you live as a Novice in our Franciscan Community. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Sister Natalie, you also are in my prayers as you guide Sister Chiara in learning more about our Franciscan way of life. God bless both of you.

12. Sister Renee Mirkes says:

Dear Sr. Chiara:
    Praised be Jesus Christ! May His light and that of St. Clare flood your person and your life, day by day, as you seek to be holy and wholly His. I just returned from a meeting in Rome in the shadow of the Vatican; I am so pleased that a FSCC chose and was given the Italian version of St. Clare’s name … melodic like everything in Italian sounds to me!
    God reward you with his peace and presence,
    Sister Renee

13. Sister Louise says:

Congratulations, Sister Chiara. May your days in the novitiate and beyond be filled with grace and joy as you seek to give yourself totally to the Lord who gives Himself totally to you.

14. Dear Sister Chiara,

We are happy and proud to welcome you as a
    novice into the Franciscan Sisters of Christian
    Charity. Your enthusiasm and joy are great
    inspirations to all of us. May this year of
    learning more about our common life bring
    you much happiness and peace.

God Bless You!
    Sister Rosaire for the Sisters in Yuma, Arizona

15. Happy first week anniversary of reception, Sister Chiara. In our retreat this week we spent one day pondering the life, writings, prayers and sacred places of St. Clare. Tomorrow we will “visit” via DVD her Basilica. May her wisdom, strength, insights and graciousness be a blessing to you as you bear her name, Sister of Light!

16. Cindy Willison says:

Wow… my little girl … I’m so proud!
    I know that this is where God wants you … stay as happy as you are! Love – Mom

17. Sister Chiara says:

Thank you all very much for your comments, prayers and support! 🙂 I am very happy to be here on this journey with all of you!
    Thank you all for your prayers. I am praying for you all as well. God Bless you! 🙂

Sister Chiara

18. Sister Natalie says:

It is a wonderful blessing to be a part of the Franciscan Sisters of Christian Family. Thank you for the prayerful support given to Sister Chiara and me as we begin our Novitiate Journey. Yes, we look to our Sisters to be the “living Rule” by which we will learn the way of Gospel life in our Community.
    God bless each of you.
    Know that you are also remembered in daily prayer.

19. Sister Marlita Henseler says:

Congratualtions on your reception, Sister Chiara. I was on a Franciscan Retreat last week, so hearing the news of your name was a delight, and sometime I will have to share a song-gift I received IN ASSISI about Francesco and Chiara being the SUN AND MOON , the lights to Assisi and to the world. May YOUR light shine brightly as you learn more of the Franciscan Way. Felicitaciones!

20. Sister Virgine says:

Congratulations, Sister Chiarra! You are in our prayers here at the House of Prayer. May God guide you and I know He will support you in every way. Sister Virgine (also from the “Valley.”

21. Ana Konopacki says:

Dear Sr. Chiara,

I think you are a great person, because God called you to be a sister, and you followed through with it. Even though you might have had different plans, you decided to praise God in this way, and I think you were really brave to do it.

22. Sister Chiara says:

Thank you very much Sister Marlita, Sister Virgine and Ana.

Sister Marlita, I would love to hear that song sometime. I love music, and one about Francesco and Chiara is even better! I hope you had a wonderful retreat. 🙂

Sister Virgine, thank you very much for keeping me in your prayers at the house of prayer. I really appreciate it. I can always use prayers. 🙂 I will keep you all in my prayers as well.

Ana, thank you very much for your comment. Yes, it is true that sometimes we have different plans that what God has. However, if we follow his plans we cannot fail, He will give us the graces that we need. Also, when we follow His plans, we will experience tru joy! I have never been happier. 🙂 There are always hard days no matter what you do in life, but the joy and peace that comes with doing God’s will never leaves you. 🙂 God bless you Ana. I will keep you in my prayers.

23. Sister Mary Frederick Gramann says:

When I left my home in Waukesha,WI to enter our religious Community I left behind my dear
    parents,my twin brother, a younger brother and a sister who also entered our Community,Sister Ludmilla who is now serving the poor in Marquette,MI. After my initial years of religious formation I was privileged to be sent for my first teaching experience to the birthplace of our Community,Clarks Mills. After teaching several years in various places I served with our Administration after which I spent time at our semi-retired home at Slinger WI. doing outside work which was a joyful experience. The Community then asked me to do Mission Effectiveness in two of our hospitals. This was followed by Vocation work and then six blessed years in our House of Prayer before entering into retirement here at St. Francis Convent which I am thoroughly enjoying because of the time I am able to be with the Lord. Thank you God for all your blessings.

24. Sr. Delores Wisnicky says:

I was on retreat this week at the House of Prayer. We spent a day on St. Clare. She was an amazing woman of her time. Her persistance and graciousness were something else. You have a wonderful saint to follow. Sr.Chiara, Clare will bring you to Jesus in powerful ways.
    May your novitiate be a very holy time! Clare had quite an effect on me this week.
    God Bless you. Sr.Delores Wisnicky