Holy Spirit Window, Resurrection Catholic Parish, Green Bay, WI

by Sister Julie Ann on April 30, 2008

Holy Spirit Window Resurrection Parish, Green Bay, WIThe Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity highlight this uniquely Spirit-stirring stain glass window from Resurrection Catholic Parish. The translucent, yet beautifully colored earthen panes image a Pentecost moment for Mary and the apostles: “Veni, Creator Spiritus…” Kirschling Studios Inc., Green Bay, WI crafted the window.

Resurrection Catholic Church is located in Allouez situated on the east side of the Fox River between Green Bay and De Pere. Established in 1963, Bishop Robert F. Morneau currently serves as pastor of 1350 families/units with the assistance of other dedicated staff and the many committed people of God who reach out to each other and to others in need. http://www.gbres.org/

50 thoughts on “Holy Spirit Window, Resurrection Catholic Parish, Green Bay, WI”

1. Veni, Creator Spiritus… COME O HOLY SPIRIT COME

The sequence for Pentecost, verse five, prays: “…O most blessed Light divine, shine within these hearts of yours, and our inmost being fill…”

At the last student supper for this academic year the students of U.W.Stevens Point Newman Center hosted a Peruvian meal with a presentation of how the mission trip to Peru has continued to affect them.

The presence of the Holy Spirit is evident in their reflections and actions. Two of the students chose to voice how their own tendency to stereotype others has been challenged because of their experience with the people of Peru. They reflected that when one develops a personal relationship with someone whose culture, country, education, color, language… is distinct from ones own the stereotypes fall apart. And that person becomes someone more like me, than different from me.

It is only through openness to newness, change, relationship, and especially God’s love–THE HOLY SPIRIT, that this is possible. The movement and expression of those in this wonderful Pentecost window exhibit this.

As high school and college students approach the end of this academic year may the HOLY SPIRIT of light and love penetrate your in-most being with strength, direction, and peace!

COME HOLY SPIRIT COME FILL THE HEARTS OF YOUR FAITHFUL!

2. Cristiana says:

Jessica Powers’ poem “This Trackless Solitude” comes alive in this window. It is a Bishop Bob favorite.

Deep in the soul the acres lie
    of virgin lands of sacred wood
    where waits the Spirit. Each soul bears
    this trackless solitude.

The Voice invites, implores in vain
    the fearful and the unaware;
    but she who heeds and enters in
    finds ultimate wisdom there.

3. Thank you for the meaningful poem!

The Holy Spirit is so alive within us, as Jessica Powers writes,”deep in the soul…” the power of Jesus within us to overcome our fears, to free us to be His witnesses. “COME O HOLY SPIRIT ENKINDLE THE HEARTS OF YOUR FAITHFUL…”

4. Marie Wilhelm says:

This stain glass window, and pictures similar to this, remind me of the third Glorious mystery of the rosary when the Holy Spirit descends upon Mary and the Apostles to give them the gifts of the Holy Spirit. It also reminds me of my confirmation when I received the sevenfold gifts of the Holy Spirit. It shows God’s great love for us and the gifts he is willing to give us if we want and accept them.

5. Thanks for sharing your faith thoughts Marie!
    You express very well that each of us has a choice to accept and nurture the gifts of the Holy Spirit in our lives or not. As Mary and the Apostles attested to in their lives, this is not an easy choice, but it is the way to God and real love.

6. HAPPY FEAST OF PENTECOST TO ALL! MAY THE HOLY SPIRIT FILL YOU WITH WISDOM, COURAGE, PERSEVERENCE, INSIGHT, PASSION, RIGHT JUDGMENT, STRENGTH, FAITH, AND EVERYTHING ELSE YOU NEED TO RESPOND TO JESUS’ CALL TO FOLLOW HIM WITH YOUR WHOLE LIFE!

7. Tiffany says:

I love the colors in this window. Pentecost is a very important feast day, being that it is the birthday of the church! I like the fact that Mary is in the image. Mary is a very big role model for much of the Catholic Church and we admire her for all that she did. I think that the extravagant colors help to brighten the image and draw us into the light of Christ.

8. Emily says:

i like how Mary is in this strong and meaningful stained glass. What I love the most about it is that a woman…Our Blessed Mother is in the center of the apostles. I like the earthy toned colors of this work of art also. It’s great.

9. Sam says:

This stain glass window is very beautiful. I like how it shows that a woman was there at Pentecost when the Holy Spirit came to the apostles. It is easy to see God’s power over all in this picture.

10. Brianna says:

I think the colors in the image of the month tell the story of Pentecost. The bright yellow and white show the divinity and hope of Pentecost – the Holy Spirt will always be with us! The expression on the apostles’ faces show the wonder and awe that they have in the Holy Spirit’s presence. I think the image captures the real essence of Pentecost.

11. Haley says:

The image is beautiful and moving. I think it shows Mary and the apostles in a great way. It highlights Jesus’ love for his mother and his followers.

12. Kate says:

I really like this image. I think it is very powerful. It has a lot of symbolism that gives it a deeper meaning. It’s very beautiful!

13. Emily and Tiffany,
    I can tell that you are both sensitive to the importance of Our Blessed Mother Mary in the life of the early Church and in our life today! May she always be an inspiration for you both!

14. Maggie says:

This is a very beautiful window! I like that this shows there were women at pentecost, when the Holy Spirt came to us.

15. Steph says:

This image is very beautiful, it reminds me of the awesome presense of God. I think it is a very moving image. It is a beautiful reminder of the Holy Spirit desending upon Mary and the Apostles at Pentecost.

16. Becky says:

I think light shining through this stained glass window makes it look so amazing. Mary being in the center of all the apostles is a creative way of presenting the idea of the birthday of the church, also known as Pentecost.

17. Cassie says:

The colors are beautiful and i think that the light streaming in though the window adds to the beauty of the stain glass window.

18. Becky Knoblauch says:

The image is really beautiful. The colors really bring out the image. Pentecost is a very important feast because it is the birthday of the church. Mary is the biggest part of the image because she is strong and a meaningful person.

19. Mary says:

First of all, I love stain glass windows. I think that there is something serene and holy about them. I especially love that there is a woman present in the picture, since we are not always represented.

20. Michelle says:

That is a very cool picture. It must be beautiful in real life.

21. Emma Stock says:

This window is beautiful. It captures the expressions and emotions of the apostles and Mary in a very different in interpetation than those of other Pentecost images. I would love to see this window in person and view its wonderful awe.

22. Katie says:

This image is very unique. It suprised me to see the colors used in the window. Usually brighter colors are used in stained glass, but this was simply amazing!

23. Suzanne says:

I love this window. It is a extremely beautiful work of art. The browns and yellows make the piece look extrodinary. I think it is awesome how Mary is the focal point of this stained glass window.

24. aurea fajardo says:

i think that its a picture reminding us about god and who is above all creation. because the white bird above all and everyone looks up to is god and everyone looks up to god and well he is above all so its reminding us of who’s above everything and everyone.

25. Katie says:

This image is beautiful it shows something with such dull colors can be pretty. It shows that God is wonderful in all he does and this picture is very meaningful

26. Paige says:

Mary really represents a symbol of strength by the way she is appearing brightly and boldly in this picture. i love the colors used and expressions of the faces of the apostles.

27. Cassandra Raboine says:

The window is very beautiful. It shows that women can be just as holy as men. That women take an important role in the word of the lord.

I also noticed that one of the men in the picture didn’t look to happy about the woman receiving the holy spirit. It shows that no matter how hard someone tries, there will be people who will not approve of women recieving the holy spirit.

But women must not let that stop them. If they want to spread the word of God, they shouldn’t let fear stop them.

SPREAD THE WORD!!! SISTERS ROCK!!!

28. Sam, Haley, Suzanne, and Becky,
    Your focus on Mary in this image of Pentecost is so cool! She is there in the midst of the Apostles and all of us, receiving the Holy Spirit with us! May she continue to guide you all closer to her Son, Jesus!

29. Brianna, Kate, and Maggie,
    Your appreciation of the expressions and beauty of this image of Pentecost is expressed very well!

30. Cassie, Becky and Steph,
    I love how you focused on the “light” coming through this awesome stained glass image! Each of you are also images of God’s “light”!

31. Mary, Michelle, Emma, and Kate,
    Each of you are so good about going deeper into the meaning of the image! You see the emotions, the serenity, the colors, and the real life aspects of this window! Thanks for sharing!

32. Aurea and Katie, Thank you for putting the window into the greater context of God’s creation of all!

33. Paige and Cassandra,
    I’m sure that our Blessed Mother is happy to know how much you admire her strength and presence in the Church! She is a great model for all of us women! May she always be part of your lives!

34. Pam says:

The rays of light in this image radiate from the Holy Spirit above, causing what seems to be a rippling effect over Mary and the apostles. The dove, a symbol of the Holy Spirit, is acting as the heartbeat of God. With every beat of His wings, He sends forth another ripple of God’s love. Just as with water, these ripples only continue to grow, covering us all and filling our hearts with His presence.

35. Your poetic description of this glorious event of Pentecost is lovely Pam! I especially apprectiate the ripple effect…which continues to transform our lives today! Thanks for your spirit filled insights!

36. Joelle says:

I thought the picture was gorgeous. I really liked how there was a woman present. I think the bird was pretty powerful. The colors are amazing. It’s just a great view of what Pentecost was.

37. Val says:

This window is really pretty! I realy like how the dark frame is with the bright yellow window.

38. Jenna Sieracki says:

The window is absolutely beautiful! It is different than any other stained glass window I’ve seen before. I think the color is awesome and its not even bright, but it fits. It makes me want to pray.

39. Rebecca says:

This picture of Penecost is totaly different than anyway i have ever seen Penecost presented. I really like it though. I find in odd that mary’s in the the center but i like the way the artist put it aoo together.

40. Elizabeth says:

I love the designer’s take on the descent of the Holy Spirit on Pentecost. I think it is portrayed well. I like how the designer showed the shock of the disciples. I also liked how Mary was pictured in the center of the window. The colors are also very pretty.

41. Emma says:

The stain glass window is very beautiful. Mary is a very important part of our faith and this window represents this. I think it would be neat to see it in person.

42. Hillary says:

I think this stain glass picture is gorgeous. It reminds us of the power of Mary and the Holy Spirit. Stain glass always makes me feel like God is shining through the windows and spreading His light on us. It makes me feel at ease.

43. Melissa says:

i think this is a very beautiful image. it really shows the expressions on the faces, making it very unique, and very powerful. i love the focus on Mary!

44. Hailey Gill says:

The stain glass image was beautiful. Words can’t describe how amazing it looks!

45. Lauren Pritzl says:

I really like this picture because of the colors. It reminds me of the sun and the song of the month because it looks like God calling his people to do his work just like the song calls us to use our talents that he gave us.

46. Cory Paquette says:

This is a nice picture. I like how it shows the apostles looking up at the Holy Spirit, and the light shing through makes it seem like God is really present.

47. Thank you for sharing your insights Emma, Hillary, Melissa, Elizabeth, and Joelle! All of you made references to the importance of Mary in the image and in our lives! May the Holy Spirit continue to inspire each of you!

48. I love how you all remarked about the colors and beauty of the window! Thanks Cory, Lauren, Hailey, Rebecca, Jenna, and Val! It is especially neat to see the colors representing the sun and the light of the Holy Spirit! May each of you continue to walk in the Light of the Holy Spirit’s love! I enjoyed your class!

49. MRS. NANCY HARRY TRIPP says:

PLEASE RECITE A SPECIAL PRAYER AT THE MASS ON THURSDAY MARCH 5, 2009 FOR

JOHN O. HARRY 3/30/1946-3/5/2007

WITH LOVE FROM “JOHN’S FAMILY” IN THE U.P. OF MICHIGAN…ONTONAGON.

JOHN CHANGED OUR LIVES FOREVER. LIFE WITHOUT JOHN WILL NEVER BE THE SAME.

THANK YOU.

50. Nancy, be assured of our prayers for John and for all the living that continue to carry him alive in your hearts! Please know we will include our own prayers of intercession to him as well. A man with a history of reaching out to others will not stop doing so in heaven! Peace and all good.