Franciscan Sister Terrific Teacher

by Sister Julie Ann on February 17, 2008

Franciscan Sister of Christian Charity, Sister Carol Juckem, was chosen Green Bay Channel 5 WFRV-TV “Terrific Teacher” for the month of February. Parents and Sister Mary Lee Schommer, principal of St. Peter the Fisherman School, Two Rivers, WI, nominated Sister Carol for her enthusiasm in directing the school’s classroom music, as well as band students.  Please watch Erin Davisson’s report live on Thursday, February 21, 2008 at 6 p.m. or view the footage on this website after that date. http://www.wfrv.com/content/news/teachers/default.aspx

Sister Carol JuckemSister Carol reflects:When I first heard that I was chosen for “Terrific Teacher” for the month of February my first thought was: How blest I am to have such supportive parents and school staff. Their letters of appreciation and support are not just for this one  occasion, but have been with me throughout the 3 years I have been here at St. Peter the Fisherman. No wonder we have such a wonderful school.    Next I thought of the children. What an awesome responsibility is ours as teachers! We get to meet children every day, encourage them to be their best selves. We help them not only discover the many facets of learning, but also help them unfold their talents, their strengths and help point them to their future.  How delightful it is to see the sparkle in the eyes of children as they put the pieces together of what they are learning and discover new knowledge on their own. I have seen music, the subject I teach, turn a hesitant, reserved student into an enthusiastic, confident individual. I enjoy being a part of God’s creation, of the Lord’s work among His children. It has not only kept me young in spirit, but also has grown me as an individual in learning to be an encourager, learning to relate to  many types of personalities. I love every one of them.  Teachers always have stories to tell because children see life in fresh, uncluttered ways, and they let us, who teach them, get a glimpse of their viewpoint. They are constantly teaching me to see differently.

I am truly humbled, because I don’t concentrate on whether I’m a terrific teacher or not. My focus is on doing my best for the good of the children and being there for them. I want them to have a great experience of learning music.  I want them to have fun, yes, but to also learn a lot in the process.    The social aspect of music is so huge. Singing is very personal. It’s part of you, of who you are. There is such a delicate balance between encouraging participation and helping students improve and capitalize on whatever talent they have. I strive to take the students where they are to where they can be. It’s an exciting adventure. Playing an instrument with a group creates a new bond among the students. You can learn a lot about someone by how they play: passionate, tired, quiet, daring, confident. . . Playing in a group brings cooperation and team work to a new level. Everyone has their part to play, yes, but how your part fits into the whole is so essential. The volume of your part, the give and take of several tunes, “backing off” and “stepping forward” with your tune, isn’t this all part of the dynamics of life? If we can learn it well in the band room, maybe we can transfer it into the many other places we interact in our lives.  I know we have many “Terrific Teachers” in this school. We just need to take the time to notice and applaud them. I am thankful to all the parents and staff who did so for me. I thank my Sisters, the Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity, who educated me and supported me throughout my learning years. I am also grateful to my family who first gave me a love of the Lord and for music. In my heart these two go hand in hand as I teach every child.   http://www.stpeterthefisherman.org/ http://www.fscc-calledtobe.org/where.htm#

25 thoughts on “Franciscan Sister Terrific Teacher”

1. Sister Helena Young says:

Congratulations Sister Carol!

I have experienced you enthusiasm and love for music working with you in projects for Community, such as Celebration 2000. God has blessed you with a special talent and we are proud to have you as a member of our Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity Community. The children and parish of St Peter the Fisherman are privileged to have you in their midst.

God Bless you in all you do through your ministry of music.

2. Sister Ann Mary Hart says:

Congratulations Sister Carol! I have always admired your enthusiasm and energy for music and teaching. You so deserve this honor. God bless you. Sister Ann Mary

3. Sr. Winifred says:

How proud I am of Sr. Carol! Her enthusiasm and dedication are catching as her whole school has noticed and applauded. Congratutlations, sister!

4. Sister Pat Sevcik says:

Congratulations, Sister Carol, for being chosen Terrific Teacher of the Month! Your enthusiasm shines out through your words and work! Music is a wonderful medium for learning and praising God, as well as for pure enjoyment. Learning to blend in and to harmonize takes practice. Acknowledging a talent and strength for singing,sharing the gift of song,listening to others, all help to build up individuals and communities. Thank you for sharing your great talent and love for music with others!

5. Sister Marie Bernadette Dorn says:

Dear Sister Carol,
    Congratulations on a well earned award. What a tribute you are to yourself, your school and our community. Bet your siblings are proud of you,also. Teachers need to receive more praise for their efforts; so this is marvelous! Love you and take care.

6. Congratulations to Sister Carol! I have been at a school where she had taught and I agree that she is a great music teacher. She is creative and enjoys what she teaches and the students enjoy being in the class. May God continue to bless her and all her future years of teaching.

7. Sister Leonette Kochan says:

Sister Carol, not only is your award a fine tribute to you, but your words are also. You speak humbly and profoundly about the role of teacher and the beautiful place of music in children’s lives. Congratulations on receiving a very well-deserved award, and also for expressing so well your thoughts about the sacred ministry of teaching.

8. Sister June says:

Congratulations Sister Carol on receiving the February Teachers’ Award. Your reflection on winning the award points out that we can’t do our job alone. We need the support of the principal, teachers, parents and staff. God’s blessings on your work at Sr. Peter the Fisherman school.

9. SisterMary Hugh says:

What a terrific choice. Congratulations and God’s blessing
    be yours.

10. Sister Marlita Henseler says:

It couldn’t have happened to a nicer person! Congratulations on the February Award! God has graced you with many gifts, and you have shared the gift of music so frequently in many ,many ways with so many. And we are grateful!
    May the way you guide and teach young people to further their own knowledge and appreciation of music continue for a long time to come! WE REJOICE WITH YOU, OF COURSE!

11. Sister Sean Marie says:

Congratulations, Sister. To see beauty through the eyes of a child helps us touch God. Your enthusiasm and joy spread in and out of the classroom bring all closer to Him. Keep on singing, writing music, and sharing with all!

12. Sister Kay Klackner says:

Congratulations, Sister Carol! I was just able to view the television spot on the Channel 5 website! I am so proud of you and happy for you! I have been very privileged to witness personally your love of music spill over to the students and the love of God that you share through your classes and your very being! God does wonderful things through you. Thank you!

13. Sister Natalie says:

Thank you, Sister Carol for being an inspiration for me and for so many. You integrate the whole person in your ministry of music. Congratulations and thank you for accepting this honor. Your love for music is contageous and is a gift for others to open heart and mind to hear the inner soul speaking.

14. Ana Konopacki says:

Hello Sr. Carol!

I just wanted to say congratulations on being the terrific teacher of the month! I definately agree that you are the terrific teacher of the month. You’ve taught everyone so much, and I thank you for bringing music into our lives. At first, I never knew I was going to play the saxophone. I was a little scared I wouldn’t like it, but when I started lessons with you, I knew it definately was the right instrument for me. You make it so easy and fun to learn, and you make me want to learn more and more. So, thank you!

Ana Konopacki

15. Sister Ann Mary Hart says:

Sister Carol
    You certainly deserve this recognition for your enthusiasm and joy as a wonderful,caring and very devoted teacher! Congratulations!

Sister Rosaire

16. Sister Anne Marie Lom says:

Congratulations, Sr. Carol! I am so proud to be in the same community with you and I rejoice at the gifts God has given you and how you have developed them and shared them so generously.
    May you continue to sing and play God’s praises!

17. I would like to congratulate Sister Carol Juckum on being named “Terrific Teacher”. Sister, I remember our days at I.C. in Yuma. I admired how beautifully you played the guitar. I thank God for your gift of songs that come from your heart. I also thank God for you being part of my life. In March I will be celebrating my 25th Anniversary as a Secular Franciscan. Peace and good to you and all the Sisters. I love you all.

18. Sister Nancy Kinate says:

Congratulations, Sister Carol! Keep up the GOoD work, and may you continue to be a blessing to all those whose lives are enriched by your life and ministry>

19. Sister Marcolette Madden says:

Congratulations, Sister Carol, on being recognized as a “Terrific Teacher!” Your award is so well deserved. Thanks for all the heart and talent you have shared with so many.

Sister Marcolette

20. Brandon Bacalzo says:

Congratulations! I am a band and music student of hers and i enjoy learning by her. She is so enthusiastic!

21. Congratulations, again, Sister Carol Juckum. I just wanted to let you know that 25 years ago in Yuma you played for my first Profession as a Secular Franciscan – Mar. 25, 1983. You and the Sisters from both schools sang. I re-quested a song of Consecration that was in your song book in your Chapel. Time does fly, doesn’t it?

22. Sean Benham, M.D. says:

Sister Carol,
    What a wonderful award! I’m happy the faculty and music parents at your school have recognized your wonderful gifts and talents. If only I had a music teacher like you, I may have been a musician, instead of a drummer!
    Congratulations,
    Sean Benham

23. dee says:

hey sister its me dalten

24. Sister Carol says:

Thanks, Dalten, for the message. “Hi” back to you. Sister Carol

25. dee says:

Thanks for sending me that and thanks for teaching me recorder. And thanks for being so nice to us.