All the Trees of the Field Will Clap Their Hands

by fscc on October 1, 2007

And I heard from the trees a great parade.

And I heard from the hills a band was made.

And will I be invited to the sound?

And will I be a part of what you`ve made?

15 thoughts on “All the Trees of the Field Will Clap Their Hands”

1. Sister Mary Carol says:

On October 4th The Feast of St. Francis of Assisi, patron of ecology, is celebrated throughout the world. Francis could easily have spoken the words, “And I heard from the trees a great parade.” All nature, even

the smallest creature spoke to Francis and he was in awe of all of God’s creation.

The lyrics to this month’s song read as a litany or stream of consciousness thoughts. Reflection on each idea is up to the individual. Each of us, with our varied experiences, will relate differently to the message.

The ostinato (repeated) instrumental and later background vocalists are conducive to meditation. Pray Psalms 147, 148 and 150 to praise God for all creation. Yes, you will “be invited to the sound.”

2. Phyllis says:

Beautiful. Simply stunning.

3. michael says:

Thanks for this post!

Sufjan’s songwriting is very conducive to prayer.

4. Prayerful and beautiful are simple words to describe Sufjan’s very complicated pattern of sounds and depth of words. Phyllis and Michael, you both did well in helping us try to capture the essence of this musical experience.

5. Sarah Jane says:

I love this song so much.
    Sufjan’s voice is so peaceful and smooth.

“And I am joining all my thoughts to You. And I’m preparing every part for You.”

Praise God. Everything we do is, afterall, for Him.

6. Enjoying some great scenery on the way to Superior, I can’t help but agree with you that Sufjan offers a great piece of music to soothe the heart and accompany this great symphony of color, Sarah Jane. Thanks for joining us here.

7. Brian says:

A beautiful song with a beautiful image…Thanks for the download!

8. Ellie says:

Great song. I liked the message.

9. Thanks for your comment, Brian. Sufjan’s midwestern seasonal view of the world is reflected in his music. We also rejoice in the beauty of others’ generosity in sharing their time here.

10. This song really moved me through it’s poetic lyrics and the singer’s calm soothing voice. It really made me want to go out side and enjoy the beauty God provided us.

11. Ellie, it sounds like you enjoyed the beauty of the moment as you listened to this song. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

12. And I hope Kristina that you really did allow yourself this outside fall experience. I did. Thanks.

13. "W" says:

Thank you Sisters for coming to visit and spending time with us at Whitewater! 🙂 It was nice to enjoy our Spaghetti dinner with some new faces this past week. I hope our lives cross pathes again sometime soon!

14. mike says:

This was avery peaceful and calming song, with a great message!

15. “W” thanks for visiting us here. The Lord is present among you all gathered at UW Whitewater on Wednesday evening! Peace and all good.