Franciscan Podcast: Amazing Grace at St. Mark Catholic Church, Twin Cities

by Sister Julie Ann on February 16, 2013

Chris Engelmann’s  prayerful, harmonic expression of Amazing Grace at St. Mark Catholic Church, St. Paul, MN. is our Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity’s featured Lenten 2013 Podcast. .

St. Mark’s Parish in the Macalester-Groveland neighborhood of St. Paul, is just a few blocks away from St. Thomas University. By their own description, the parish community is “a strong family united in Christ.”
With its resplendent stained glass depicting the consoling drama of God’s salvation, it is no wonder than St. Mark’s is a designated ‘Year of Faith’ pilgrim site. Should you have the good fortune of visiting there, perhaps on quiet week day, you might come across Chris Englemann. Chris, a Catholic convert, who often also stops in to offer his own unique expression of faith.

“The harmonica is really an extension of the soul – my breath, the airflow, my life is emanating from this little instrument. It’s a form of praise…the grace and honor and the love of God that has enabled  me to carry this message.”

“And this piece is especially meaningful to me. I see it as a wonderful message, for people in recovery people from all walks of life who are seeking some type of help and direction from God in their life.”

17 thoughts on “Franciscan Podcast: Amazing Grace at St. Mark Catholic Church, Twin Cities”

1. Sister Mary Ann says:

The prayerfulness of your playing is a gift to us Chris! Thank you so very much for sharing God’s presence in your life through your music and your faith!

2. Sr. Delores says:

Beautiful, Chris… The feeling you convey is very healing. We had 4 deaths here this weekend, so the song comforts my heart…

3. Chris, your simplistic and souled filled style brings me
    back to my roots while lifting me up in hope of the Resurrection.

4. Sr. Regina Rose says:

What a beautiful expression of praise! Thank you! And a wonderful reminder that our every breath is to be given back to God to glorify Him! Thank you for sharing your gift.

5. Sister Kathleen says:

Our breath is such a direct gift of God…a sign of His creative Life in us. You use that breath to give such praise! You and your gift are a blessing! Your rendition is so pure and simple, just like God’s love. Thanks for sharing and know that your melody will be echoing in my heart today!

6. This two plus minutes of harmonica praise was a delightful experience of prayer and praise. I appreciated the stained glass window visuals as I listened and prayed with the music. This was a boon to my Lenten prayer.Thank you!

7. Sister Rosangela says:

Chris, how beautiful and inspiring to hear the harmonica used for this religious hymn. It was so reverent and peaceful. I’m sure God is pleased you are using your talent to praise Him. Your parish is lucky to have you worship with them.

8. Sister Elaine says:

Thank you for sharing a part of yourself so beautifully through the gift of music. What a wonderful reminder that God is so amazing in His tremendous love for us. Listening to “Amazing Grace” was a very prayerful experience.

9. Sister Natalie says:

Yes, I agree that God does provide graces to carry us through each day of our lives. The hymn, “Amazing Grace,” calls to mind the awareness of God in the ordinary events of the day and night.
    The harmonica adds a tone of deep gratitude and peace for the realization of the great love and blessing bestowed on each of us. Thank you for sharing faith through your gift of song.

10. smaryfrances says:

Every time I hear or sing “Amazing Grace”, I remember my Dad. This was one of his favorites and mine. Thank you, Chris!

11. Sister Carol Seidl says:

Very moving and meditative! Thank you for sharing your gift!

12. Jonathan Fischer says:

very good!

13. Stephanie Hagedorn says:

Very good!!!

14. Sr. Pamela Catherine says:

God’s grace truly is AMAZING and works in and throughout our lives in the most unexpected ways! His grace is a life-sustainer always letting us know He is near!
    Hearing this song played on the harmonica adds a certain depth to it, giving a certain quality of antiquity. God’s grace has been so strong in the lives of all His people throughout the history of humankind.
    Thank you for sharing!

15. Sister Monica's Mom, Susan says:

Very, very beautiful, and soothing!

16. Heidi says: